KEEP THE GATES OPEN!! its everyones land to enjoy

tengai

Signed and forwarded it to others.
Every year there is more gates. Eventually they will have the whole island closed off.

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
I signed the things...

But, personally if someone told me I need to keep my gate open... because they think
"its everyones land to enjoy."

I would say fuck off.
Asking to get access and telling it's a right seam very different for me.

Anyone can give more details.

Also, where the requested money goes.
Need more details there for more support.

Shuswap

I signed the things...

But, personally if someone told me I need to keep my gate open... because they think
"its everyones land to enjoy."

I would say fuck off.
Asking to get access and telling it's a right seam very different for me.

Anyone can give more details.

Also, where the requested money goes.
Need more details there for more support.

Not to de-rail, but...just how much of the land now owned by 'Timber' companies was actually bought from the gov't for fair market value? I call BS on the sale of large-scale crown land to so-called timber companies.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Signed, however I did not give any money at this time.

You all know me, I am against gates as they are usually installed using the excuse of "Public Safety" but they are really installed as a cheap security solution, often without proper authorization from forestry.

At least its a start and we need more public exposure to this issue.
If we do nothing we can expect nothing to be done.

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
Is it Crown land or Private company land?

(I don't care if they didn't pay fair price... it's not the question here)

The things is very different if we are telling a private company we have right on their land.

In that mater, asking right of way might be a better solution than claiming we have it.

tengai

Is it Crown land or Private company land?

(I don't care if they didn't pay fair price... it's not the question here)

The things is very different if we are telling a private company we have right on their land.

In that mater, asking right of way might be a better solution than claiming we have it.
That's the point, on Vancouver Island they are not allowing access for right of way.
And I think, the reason( in my opinion) is they don't want the general public to see what their actual logging practices are.

it's a shame that the gov has allowed these companies to be the stewards of all this territory and watersheds.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Sylvain, there is a huge history of land sales (giveaways) by our government and Vancouver Island is a prime example of short sightedness of the governments of the day

I think much of this petition is about public access to what should be public land. The logging companies "own" something like 1,500,000 acres of land on VI. There are many issues when this amount of land is under control of 2 or 3 companies. For instance access to crown land that lies beyond their privately owned property. Not to mention the landowner's responsibility to the public when they were given such large tracts of land by government for virtually no cash. I am not expert on the issues on VI but just by looking at the facts there seems to be huge problems that will one day have to be resolved.

I personally have a problem with these logging companies claiming ownership of what should really be crown land. Now the logging companies are selling this land for developments. I wonder if this was the intent when the land was originally handed over to them? Even if they do have the legal rights to own this land, there are still moral responsibility to make sure the public has access to public land thru these private holdings.

Just my opinion and I signed the petition.

Tom Timmerman

Shuswap

I agree with Tom's comments. This issue has been ongoing in the interior as well, with the Gang Ranch apparently blocking public-access roads to public lakes. The ranch apparently owns/controls the surrounding lands and feel they have a right to block access to local fishers/hunters and other recreational users trying to gain access to the public lakes. Considering how the provincial gov't has granted tenure over creeks and water to power companies I don't think we can relax any time soon when it comes to (public) land protection.
I signed the petition as well.

sgoyette

One issue with the gates is that it bars access to lakes and rivers that are not owned or controlled by the private land owner. These are owned by the people of British Columbia so barring access to them shouldn't be allowed. I'm not asking for the "right" to your property, I'm saying that i have a right to use the roads that give me access to resources that are owned by everyone.

offworlder

AWESOME article - thank you for sharing tengai ! Sobering and sickening govt. giveaways, (from the: "we only get one chance every 4 years" dept) lets make this an election issue folks !

Rustic

DSBC President / BCORMA Director
Staff member
This is an old practice and does not happen anymore, current government accounting requirements cause the offering/supporting Ministry to put the fairmarket value yearly into there budget. Even crown land leases are being pulled back by the crown and replaced with smaller leases and or a combination of lease and crown land tenure.

Rustic

DSBC President / BCORMA Director
Staff member
The logging companies are absolutely not trying to hide their practices we have some of the very best forest practices in BC, I don't agree with all but the system is very good here.