Loose Screw 2013 pilgrimage !

offworlder

Here's a thread for those attending this years Loose Screw, to hook up for epic routes to and from the LS event !

offworlder

Come on ! Surely there's someone out there mad enough to join me for an offroad pilgrimage prior to the mecca of the Loose Screw ???

KTM-Bryon

Okay, I am interested. I think I will take Friday off for the Pilgrimage. Did you do the off road route last year that you link to above? I did the Routledge route so I have GPS tracks to Murray Lakes but I haven't been on the old Coldwater Road to Merritt etc. I am sure a few of the 'loops boys can give us a good route though. We planned on meeting them during the Routledge run in 2011 but we got snow delayed.:D

Last edited:

offworlder

Hey Bryon, I didnt, as I wasnt interested in riding it alone. The route to Routledge was very enjoyable, scenic, and BBF (big bike friendly). Here's hoping other's will chime in re the above route, so we can piece together something sweet !
Looking forward to seeing more of beautiful BC enroute to the Loose Screw lunacy !

Dorky

Okay, I am interested. I think I will take Friday off for the Pilgrimage. Did you do the off road route last year that you link to above? I did the Routledge route so I have GPS tracks to Murray Lakes but I haven't been on the old Coldwater Road to Merritt etc. I am sure a few of the 'loops boys can give us a good route though. We planned on meeting them during the Routledge run in 2011 but we got snow delayed.:D

I probably have the Murray to Merritt section track somewhere - I'll look. As I recall there isn't much navigating required.

"Snow delayed" That's one way of putting it.

UPC_Rider

Leaving early Friday morning from Grand Forks. Anyone along the way want to link up for a relaxed asphalt ride with frequent stops? I was going to head up hwy 33 to Kelowna, but if anyone is down in the Osoyoos/Oliver/Penticton area, I would be happy to take 97. Possibly open to off-highway options but I don't know of any myself. :eek:

KTM-Bryon

Hi Mark, what bike & route are ya gonna ride? I was gonna ride the A on Saturday but I could do the B on Sunday then ride home Monday. That would be a big weekend eh!

I was checking out the roads from Merritt. We could do the Douglas lake road off Hwy 5A and then even try Lauder Road past Stephens Lakes. This goes right into Hwy 97 at Monet Lake (just south of the Loose Screw).

Dorky

If you have last year's B route it'll show you Lac Le Jeune just off the Coq to the camp site via dirt and trails. From Lower Nicola (Spius) to Logan Lk via Mammit Lk is paved but it's a nice road. PM me your email and I'll send you the Murray Lk to Lower Nicola via Spius.

offworlder

what bike & route are ya gonna ride?
I was checking out the roads from Merritt. We could do the Douglas lake road off Hwy 5A and then even try Lauder Road past Stephens Lakes. This goes right into Hwy 97 at Monet Lake (just south of the Loose Screw).

To Merritt:
- Looks like the KVR heads parallel to Coldwater road - does anyone know if thats ridable, and will get us into Merritt ?

Merritt to Kamloops:
- Douglas Lake road to Hwy 97 looks good.

KTM-Bryon

[h=4][/h]
Mark, I found this info on the KVR into Merritt. I don't think it will be rideable as I remember riding the southbound section on the way to Tulameen back in 2011 and you needed a guide to follow the KVR. Also "
The Chief of the Coldwater Indian Reserve is not allowing anyone to travel on the railbed through the Coldwater Reserve. Presently this requires a detour on to the Coldwater Road from Pine (km 28.4) to Merritt (km 47.3)" doesn't sound good.

[h=4]Trail Updates -Brookmere to Merritt, 47.3 km[/h]

Changes since the 1st edition are shown in black 12.8
Changes since the 2nd edition are shown in red 14.6

[h=5]km[/h]5.4 Washout - Thirty metres of the railbed has been swept off the face of the mountain. A trail cuts up and through the trees and around the missing railbed.
6.4 Brodie - To access Brodie from the Coquihalla highway, exit at Exit 250, drive South 2 km on Brodie Siding Road. (Rick Sewell, August 22, 1999)
25.9 Major Washout - 180 metres of railbed has been washed away by the Coldwater River. This is a difficult washout to get through with a bike. High water levels may make it impossible.
32.6 - 39.2 Coldwater Indian Reserve - When the B.C. government purchased the right of way from the CPR it gave the Indian Reserve that part of the right off way that bisected their land. The Chief of the Coldwater Indian Reserve is not allowing anyone to travel on the railbed through the Coldwater Reserve. Presently this requires a detour on to the Coldwater Road from Pine (km 28.4) to Merritt (km 47.3).
40.4 Coldwater River Bridge - Washout - Coldwater River has cut a new channel south of the bridge instead of going under the bridge, taking out the railbed. The south abutment is now left standing about 100 metres from the end of the railbed. The water is just above knee deep.
42.3 The northern approach the the bridge has been washed out. The river can be forded at low stream levels.
43.1 A small access road from Coldwater road connects with the KVR. This is the only access point between Merritt and the Coldwater Indian Reserve boundary.
47.3 Merritt

offworlder

As we're on smaller bikes, we're wondering if any lower mainlanders driving up would be willing to ferry our gear to the LS campsite ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

offworlder

Anyone from the lower mainland heading to the Loose Screw on four wheels got room in their truck for a spare bike ? Happy to pitch in for gas....

Randual

Mark ,I'm taking my truck, trailer and two bikes,Gear I can take' what do you have going up and could you get it here to PoCo either tomorrow evening or friday a.m. early as I'm leaving by 11:00 am latest, I'm committed to bring another guy and bike back from Kamloops,
I think that you have my ph # from before or pm me...
Randy

Last edited:

offworlder

OK - I've got transpo heading TO the event, anyone got room coming back to the lower mainland for another bike (not me, just the bike) ?

Thanks !

KTM-Bryon

That was a good ride out Offworlder! Glad you made it back okay too. I took mostly pavement back to Merritt via Barnhartvale Road and Campbell Creek Road to 5A. But then I took the Spias FSR towards Boston Bar and instead of taking Anderson River FSR down to Hwy-1 I took the power line road. Very fun double track that would be really fun going up. Very steep over the edge of this route so you don't want too much speed going down! Then I took Kookipi and Harrison East and made very good time as the route was fresh in my mind from two days previous.

Here is the Spius route highlighted with Uztlius tracks shown too.

I don't recommend the east side of Spius as it is very grown in for 3-4 kms making progress slow. There is a few sections of rocky road in there too that are challenging.

The west side of Spius is a super highway of FSR's now as they are putting in the new power line on this route. There is a few quad tracks heading north from the pass area that I would like to go back and explore. I think they may connect into the Silver Lake / Cabin Lake trails.

deepakvyas

Wow this was a great ride. I only did the C route, but it was quite a marathon. See you guys next year. Warm beer was suprisingly palatable. It is what it is.