LSDS14 - Riders & Routes Breakdown, suggestions for next year?

Dorky

Going through my photos, I came upon some pics taken about 3/4 way through the "B" route. You ride fireroad for about 5km's, which ends and then you ride some doubletrack through a really muddy area in what looks to be a recently forest fire burned area (muddiest part of the whole route). Looked like this:

While this was really fun area to ride, I couldn't help but notice it was home to a LOT of frogs, etc. that pretty much got ridden over/through. If there's a possible 200m bypass of what seems to be a fairly environmentally sensitive area, I think the frogs would probably appreciate it:tup:
Yes, as noted by Reece, we had a frog-friendly route ribboned to the high side.

yetii

i agree, the A could be a bit harder, and still fun. Reverse would be interesting, there would be some steep climbs. Making the A more difficult might mean making it a bit shorter. Fuel and clutches on those loose climbs might get used up rapidly.

Or just make an A+ route for next year, for the truly masochistic. Run A in the same direction, A+ in reverse. There wouldn't be that many riders to make it problematic. Possibly a slight deviation on one route around half way so riders avoid each other.

woofer2609

For the record, we went around the frogs.

Oh Geez, my bad. I followed the tracks others went through, ie. through the mud in one long rut. Didn't notice the tape around the edge. I don't think I was the only one, not that that makes an excuse at all. Maybe a note on the roll chart next year?

Sorry Kermit. :(

Bora20

Administrator
i agree, the A could be a bit harder, and still fun. Reverse would be interesting, there would be some steep climbs. Making the A more difficult might mean making it a bit shorter. Fuel and clutches on those loose climbs might get used up rapidly.

Or just make an A+ route for next year, for the truly masochistic. Run A in the same direction, A+ in reverse. There wouldn't be that many riders to make it problematic. Possibly a slight deviation on one route around half way so riders avoid each other.

We could use some help with that ;)

kenf

Hmmm, only 19 riders attempted it, and from my reading of the various threads here, maybe half of those actually finished it? I'm not sure I see the need to make it much harder...

I'd be happy to see a few less face-slappers -- I still have some nasty cuts on both arms and throat from getting whipped so much -- and would certainly relish some more climbs, but the difficulty seemed pretty good to me, for a route of that length. Enjoyed both last year and this year's A loops, keep 'em coming!

Bora20

Administrator
Hmmm, only 19 riders attempted it, and from my reading of the various threads here, maybe half of those actually finished it? I'm not sure I see the need to make it much harder...

I'd be happy to see a few less face-slappers -- I still have some nasty cuts on both arms and throat from getting whipped so much -- and would certainly relish some more climbs, but the difficulty seemed pretty good to me, for a route of that length. Enjoyed both last year and this year's A loops, keep 'em coming!

That was kinda our thoughts as well. We can't design a route for the 2% that want Erzberg...but we can try. Short of leading all the riders through at our "local" pace of the route, I think everyone riding it did great. We said at the riders meeting, we don't intend you to finish it all. You guys are supposed to be crazy, nuts, and able to navigate yourselves out of the bush as if we dropped you in there with a helicopter!

Face slappers keep your speed down ;) Keep your chin down staring at the front tire looking for the sidewinders in the tall grass!

Last edited:

DirtClunker

We did not finish because of a couple of flats and navigation issues. Not because it was technically hard. I am fine with making it harder, given the time and resources. I would also be happy if it was the same too. It's a nice ride.

I'd be happy to see a few less face-slappers...

I agree, less slappers would be nice, but I think the guys have made it pretty clear: they need help with trail marking and building.

Shuswap

For reference: Erzberg

061112-erzberg-rodeo-2012-gepa-12.jpg

Bora20

Administrator
I agree, less slappers would be nice, but I think the guys have made it pretty clear: they need help with trail marking and building.

We did a great job for the handful of people we have. Next year we will combine our efforts and make a B with A options. We have talked about a complete B roll chart, then the A roll chart may just replace certain sections. That way we can find some harder stuff like the picture ;)

I am thinking sandy uphills with log crossings on the way up...maybe large obstacles on the trail with no way around. You can push, throw, loft your bike over.

DirtClunker

061112-erzberg-rodeo-2012-gepa-12.jpg

OK, that would be fun! Really! I would pass out when (if) I got to the top, but what a challenge! Trials tire would rule. I would take a line up the rocks. Put it close to the start so we could have a lot of people laughing at us...

Dorky

OK, that would be fun! Really! I would pass out when (if) I got to the top, but what a challenge! Trials tire would rule. I would take a line up the rocks. Put it close to the start so we could have a lot of people laughing at us...

Careful what you wish for...
naughty.gif
muutt.gif

kenf

I notice there aren't too many license plates in that picture...not really a "dual-sport" ride, I think :rolleyes: But hey, I like challenges, we'll throw ourselves at whatever you come up with for next year for sure.

Shuswap

Maybe there should be a A+ alternate route, requiring notarizied waivers, proof of medical/evacuation insurance, a viewing platform with a beer fridge!

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Wow what a great event. Can’t wait for next year. The B route was amazing. I really liked the sign on the super steep downhill that said look before you go and gave an option for the scaredy cats (that would be me) to go around . I think some more tough options like that would be great. Especially if it was a challenging hill climb or two. The beauty of that would be if it turned into a complete parking lot like zombie hill last year you have an option to go around. Obviously not cause I lack the skill but so I can get back to the river and a beer quicker….

cactusreid

the general consciences of the trail bosses at this point is to combine /maintain the most excellent B route and have some A options off of it for next year. we will shoot for some A/A+ detours for you all, to rip up your plastic and collect a few bruises, for show and tell time after the ride!

Bora20

Administrator
Dorky has to show me how to get to the steep hill to no where, with the Moab like rock "feature" at the top. No trail off the backside yet, but I am sure we can make one if needed...