• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Lt Palmer Route through the Chicoltin

TLGREEN

Can anyone from the land of the big sky, please tell me more about the Lt Palmer Route that shows up as going from the Cariboo down into the Chicoltin & meeting/following the Highway 20 toward Bella Coola?:talk:

On the Backroads map book it shows this as being a major offroad route but at times goes to just a trail??:spl: We would really like to connect onto this road via the Puntzi Lake FSR then over to Towdystan. It looks spectacular if it is do-able. Has anyone done this or is it just a hiking trail now?

Any input would be greatly appreciated or, if anyone wants to hook up & ride this with us, itwould be fantastic. We would be coming through on July 3rd to make the July 4th Ferry.

Thanks in advance for any information.:tup:

D

Dogwater

imported post

imported post

Copied from another thread... I don't know of a way through on that route, but there is one south of there that will a good 3 hours of offroad onto your day.

Cheers!

Paul aka ElChupacabra aka 640in604 aka dogwater<---identity crisis:)

ElChupacabra wrote:
Mike,

N51 29.315 W124 11.188 is the Little Lagoon you mentioned, I have no idea what is there. I'd sure assume by the map that a small bridge or something is there... I've never been. Looks like a fun trip you have planned, I haven't done any exploring out that way - yet .

I did ride out to Bella Coola on a TSD Rally in 2005, and rode a great offroad section up off Hwy20 between Bull Canyon and Tatla Lake. (see pic above) I have attached my GPS track from that section for you. It was definitely one of the highlights of the rally. It is only 113kms, but it took us 3h20m to ride. Mind you, the guy I was with was on a DL1000. I was on a 640 Adventure.

Cheers!

Paul

GPS track below

Yak_KLR650

imported post

imported post

I used to work in the area and a lot of the Lt. Palmer Trail has been obliterated by new roads, or lost to time. Check with the forest district office in Alexis Creek (Chilcotin Forest District) for up to date info. The Recreation Sites and Trails Branch of Ministry of Forests and Range was transferred to Ministry of Tourism Sport and the Arts (MTSA) 2 years ago. The MTSA recreation staff that were forest district staff are still located in the forest service offices so ask to speak to whoever is in recreation - sorry I don't have name/number. If I remember when I get in the office on Monday, I'll track it down and post it here.

My opinion, the best of the Chilcotin lies to the south of highway 20.

TLGREEN

imported post

imported post

Thanks for the help guys!! :tup:

We have a couple days to kill up there so we may just go have a look see & explore.

TL

scharfg

Hi TLGREEN.

I'm planning a ADV ride from PG to Bella Coola on dirt (for the 50+ crowd so nothing to dangerous) and I was wondering about the Lt. Palmer Trail west of the Chezacut FSR as well.

What did you guys find out....?