• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Mileages & fuel

Hi Folks,

I'm new here on the board, I live in Seattle, but have enjoyed travelling the Fraser canyon and interior for many years.

I'm wondering if somebody here has a recollection of the distance from Lillooet to Farwell Canyon per ride #174 here:

http://bike.stu.ph/rides/ride.php?ride=174 [Yalakom river to Farwell via fr2800]

It looks like ~ 150km to me, but I don't have a decent map or gps. Any comments on distance and fuel availability would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

wjm

Hi Folks,

I'm new here on the board, I live in Seattle, but have enjoyed travelling the Fraser canyon and interior for many years.

I'm wondering if somebody here has a recollection of the distance from Lillooet to Farwell Canyon per ride #174 here:

http://bike.stu.ph/rides/ride.php?ride=174 [Yalakom river to Farwell via fr2800]

It looks like ~ 150km to me, but I don't have a decent map or gps. Any comments on distance and fuel availability would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

Rode this last Sept., , Left Surrey, up 99 to Pavillion to Kelly Lake, Canoe Creek, Gang Ranch, picked up Farrell Canyon Rd. and rode south west and out to
Hansville on Hwy 20 for gas, back south through the Namaih Valley to Chilko Lake. Camped at Chilko River Lodge for 3 days and did some local rides, continuing
on to Hwy. 20 and into Williams Lake and back south through Dog Creek, Kelly Lake and out to Clinton on Hwy 97 for a gas Stop, down 97 to 99 and return home
via Gold Bridge. The question was gas and mileage. Lillooet to Williams lake, 200 miles + or -, gas at Clinton and along Hwy. 97, if you take the Canoe Creek, Gang Ranch, there is gas at Dog Creek but has early closing, gas at Namaih Valley. What is your ride and your gas range?

"What is your ride and your gas range?"

Thanks for the response, WJM,

I am on a Yamaha wr250r, and normally I have a 200 mile range, but could pack msr type bottles if needed. Sounds like a fine ride, were you solo?

wjm

"What is your ride and your gas range?"

Thanks for the response, WJM,

I am on a Yamaha wr250r, and normally I have a 200 mile range, but could pack msr type bottles if needed. Sounds like a fine ride, were you solo?

There was 4 of us, 3 on KLR 650 and me on the V-Strom 650

bchunter

Does anybody know if the gas station at the Toosey Reservation by Riske Creek is reliable in it's operating hours? We are planning on this trip this summer and I have the least range of everyone and need to stay on top of my go-go juice.

Thanks a ton.

triplenickel

There's also been fuel at Dog Creek the last 3-4 years I've been through, it's about 20km round trip from the Gang Ranch Bridge.

bchunter

Perfect. That is great info. I am planning to be have around a 400 km range, but a fill in the Riske Creek area would be very nice as we are rolling in from the North.

wjm

Perfect. That is great info. I am planning to be have around a 400 km range, but a fill in the Riske Creek area would be very nice as we are rolling in from the North.

We made the mistake of not topping-up in William's Lake, We were counting on gas at Dog creek, late Saturday afternoon in Sept. the gas bar was closed and
not open very early Sunday morning so we had to reroute through Clinton and miss the Big Bar Ferry, we all have 400 Km. range. That bench-land along "The Fraser River" is tops. Enjoy the ride.

bchunter

Thanks. We are really looking forward to the ride. We will be coming in from the north and if we don't have to dip into Williams Lake, that would be better as we will be heading through Farewell Canyon enroute to Chilko Lake. It would be great for us to be able to grab gas around Riske Creek, and the net shows a gas station at the Toosey Reservation. I will give them a call as we get closer to the ride.

The last time I was through that neck of the woods was in 98 in a truck. Was a great area and it will be even better on a bike.

It is nice to think about warm summer rides when it is -20 to -35 outside :hf:

Island Hopper

Another thing you could try is to contact the tourist info office in Williams Lake with your list of gas stations and see if they can find the status and hrs of operation per each...

I did a big KM solo ride through in 08, I topped up in Williams Lake with plans for gas in Goldbridge, when I made it there I found the gas station out of service and pushed on to Pemberton... Went on reserve and made Pemberton with 2 liters to spare, 512 KM on 23.5L...

bchunter

Good idea. I never thought about that. I will give them a call as time gets closer as well.

I am planning to have enough fuel to get me from Williams Lake to Tatla Lake with a bit for playing (all those side tracks around Farewell Canyon are way too tempting :) )

512 on 23.5 litres, that is great. By my calculations for that range I will need around 28 - 30 litres. That is with some throttle / playing time as well. I always like to have enough fuel in case we make a wrong turn and have to head back. Google Earth is good, but with all the logging in the area due to the bug kill, taking a wrong turn might be a reality no matter how well our navigation is planned. If there is no gas by Riske, I am planning on rolling out of Williams Lake with 30 litres of fuel. Should be good to go :hb:

Island Hopper

There was nothing at Riske Creek on my last time through, you could try Lees Corner...

Don't forget that with your bikes loaded heavy with extra fuel and gear your fuel economy may drop substantially....

Last edited:

bchunter

I agree and have been basing all my miles on worst case nilage. That way I can error on the side of caution. I am also taking into consideration camping gear and my large mammal weight :)

And at 1 kilo per litre it does not take long to add up the weight. I am also on line to make sure my suspension can carry the extra weifght.

Thanks for all the help.

wjm

Assuming you are going down Blackwater Rd.
Full gas tank leaving Hwy. 16,
top-up in Qusnell
gas bar @ Toosey Band on Hwy. 20 or Lee’s Corner
Depart Hwy 16 (near Mud River) & Blackwater Rd, Prince George BC on Blackwater Rd (South-West)
Stay on Blackwater Rd (South)
140 Km. from Hwy. 16 to Moffat Bridge, Quesnel BC, return West on Local road(s)
Blackwater Road, South of Quesnel, Anderson Marsh Dr. becomes
West Fraser Rd to Grouse Rd. to McKay Rd. becomes Meldrum Creek Rd to Hwy. 20
135 Km. from Quesnel to Hwy. 20 on Meldrum Creek Rd &, Cariboo BC, turn LEFT (East) onto Hwy-20
1.8 Km. east to Toosey Band Gas bar & Conv. store Hwy-20, Cariboo BC
12 Km. on Hwy 20 west from Toosey to Farwell Canyon Rd
46 Km. from Farwell Canyon Rd. to Lee’s Corner.
I am taking these road names from the map. It has been years since I was on West Fraser & Blackwater Roads.
I don’t think that Farwell Canyon Road is open all the way through into Chilko Lake but maybe open to Fletcher Lake. There is a good gas bar in Nemaih Valley near Kanni Lake if you are going through to Gang Ranch.
From Hwy 20 through Nemaiah Valley, Gang Ranch to Lillooet via Big Bar Ferry is less than 300 Km.

bchunter

Thanks a TON for the info wjm. That is great and very helpful, especially the Toosey part, and even the gas at Nemaiah Vally. I did not know that. What I have seen and am planning is Farewell Canyon to Big Creek, over to the road that runs from Lee's Corner, then by Nemaiah Valley to Chilko. On both Google Maps and Google Earth it is a larger FSR.

If it doesn't go through, well then that is where the true adventure begins, and the thanking that I am carrying extra fuel :hf:

Thanks again. Your info is great.

bambr

anybody know this "good gas bar in Nemaih Valley near Kanni Lake" is still working during spring/summer/fall time?