Moving To Kamloops May 2016

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
After 55 years of living in the center of BC, Sharon and I decided that it's time for a change ( and at our age we won't get another chance)

We checked many locations around BC and Kamloops came out the winner and is the best fit for us. We have sold our home in Surrey and ready to go.

As I have come to the DSBC site many times over the years for advice and I have gotten some very good advice. I am again coming to the DSBC members for anything they can provide me. As usual I know I am paying nothing for this advice or information and will treat it accordingly. I always enjoy the feedback I get from DSBC members.

Of course we are using a fellow Dual Sport rider and the President of BCORMA as our real estate agent.

We are heading up today May 4 to look as some homes, of course we got enough money for our home here to buy something up in Kamloops. We are taking the motorhome and need some advise where to stay for a couple of days close to town, towing my trailer so its about 65 feet long.

Can anyone recommend any RV campgrounds near town, would prefer power as we have two dogs that have to stay in the MH while we are out looking?

Not sure how long this house hunting will take but if anyone can make recommendations on locations or houses, it will not go ignored. Prefer a house that we can squeeze 65 feet of RV in the yard, prefer level but it amazing what an excavator can do. around 2500 square feet house, garage or shop for the bikes and a yard for the dog and his guests. Sharon wants a new kitchen, new bathrooms, and new everything else. Now the hard part, we need all this to come in under 500,000.00. Will consider a fixer upper at the right price but prefer it all done. So if you know of anything just PM me or post here.

No I will not buy the loose screw field and build a new house. (unless I can get a really good deal)

Thanks

Tom

TW_rider

Well, I am happy for both of you. I have no advice for you regarding homes, locations or prices...
I'll just mention the obvious, in that the Lower Mainland "chapter" of DSBC will be losing a valued advocate, but you have to "follow your heart" as the saying goes.

You've put in countless hours in building and maintaining trails in this area, and even though I might not use Dashboard or Parish Hill, I thank you for all you've done at the local level for all the riders in the area....Kamloops will now benefit from your tireless efforts and tenacity.

Enjoy your new home.

(Just think of all that undiscovered country in the 'loops......)

Last edited:

mudshark

Hey Tom...congrats to you and Sharon. Kamloops is an amazing place. Thanks for all you have done at Tamahi. I'm really gonna miss you guys...Best of luck with the house hunt. Keep us posted and when you're settled we'll come up for the TT loop tour!

bitingdog

Tom, you and Sharon will be sorely missed. On the bright side, Kamloops is absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully we can catch up at Loose Screw.

Cheers, Adam

LordEndo

Staff member
There's a campground by the zoo that we stayed at one year - was decent, no complaints.

To start with I would like to say a big thank you for all that you have done for our sport over the years.:clap:

As far as Kamloops goes I have lived there twice and enjoyed it both times. It is still on the short list as a final location once I have completed my commitments down on the coast.

Phoenix

Was driving through Chilliwack the other day and swear Mt. Cheam had a frown on the Valley. Enjoy the new adventure.

joker650

Kamloops Wildlife Park.
Might get a little stinky...Nephew stayed there for a cpl months in his 35 footer while he was looking for a house.

Oh...and WELCOME TO KAMLOOPS SHARON AND TOM !

tomcycle

Staff member
Official "Welcome To Kamloops"

Official "Welcome To Kamloops"

Going to keep this short

We felt luck to have a real estate agent that we already knew personally with Ken Mclelland

While walking the dogs after the house hunt (that went well) we came across an old friend from riding MTR sports Robert C. Went out for dinner and shared some old stories and told some new ones

Time to find a camping spot for the night, we headed up back out of town towards Iron Mask, going to use the mini storage there and had to be there in the morning. Anyhow it was after 9 and dark so we just pulled over on the side of the road by the truck brake check. watched a little tv and went to bed.

3am, there is a banning on the RV with a woman sreaming that she had been assaulted and needed help. So we opened up let her in got her settled down and called the cops. They got here pretty fast I must say. It also appeared that one of the cops knew this woman, but I am sure this is another story.

Cops wanted to know why we were camped here? Told her that we were getting ready to move and were looking for a home in town.

"Oh then" she sez "Welcome To Kamloops" and left.

Out looking at houses again today, hard to find a house with a 70 foot level parking spot for the RV and Trailer

tomcycle

Staff member
This is a bit over your price range but I thought I'd mention it because my cousin used to live in this very house;

http://www.jsmayne.com/real-estate-listing/12391/8511-peregrine-road

2600 square feet, big shop (3 cars wide, if I remember...), 5 acres, and it's at a higher elevation than Kelowna, so not quite as hot. Lotsa trees.

Neat piece of property, but its Kelowna. A lot of grass to cut. A little further out of town than I would prefer. Thanks for sharing

Tom

tomcycle

Staff member
Welcome to Kamloops!

Can we interest you in some trail work...

Neil has not finished with me in chilliwack yet.

After 25 years in the last house its gonna take a couple of days to get organised I think?
You can count on me for sure.

T