• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Noob routes nr Trail

Revnelli

Hi People,
I just got my 1st dual sport (KLX 400) - so I'm thinking of routes around Trail to learn on. Suggestions?
Obvious ones include

Paulson summit to Castlegar on rail bed
Rossland to Christina Lake
Something around Bombie summit m/cross

Neil Noob

koots_roots

imported post

imported post

welcome to DS'ing in the koots!

i have practically the same bike (DRZ400) and i refer to it has the kootenay dream machine.

among all ones you mentioned, you should also check out:

- pend d'orielle (from columbia gardens to seven mile, then along the double-track there to nelway border OR up over beaver mountain into fruitvale via 15-mile (?))

- voilin lake

- bear lake (behind waneta mall)

- fort sheppard (can link up to highway south of rossland heading to patternson border)

i have been getting familar with the bombi options and always up for exploring a bit more up there. its on my way home to salmo from work in castlegar, if you want to meet up when the snow clears.

cheers. chris

boundrybasher

imported post

imported post

If you make it over the Christina Lake way there are couple good routes here to

- Vertical smile. i.e Mnt Saint Thomas

- Stewart Cr to Volcanic Cr.

and more Cheers Bry.

JER DR

imported post

imported post

Howdy Boundrybasher, Revnelli and Koots_Roots:

I have ridden Rossland to Christina Lake a few times now and rode Christina Lake to Castlegar on the rail line. Fantastic. I'm back and forth between Rossland and Banff but will be riding out in Rossland quite a bit. Would love to learn some more areas if you guys are up to that.

I ride an 08 Suzuki DR 650 a little pimped out. It's better than I am.

koots_roots

imported post

imported post

same here...always game for a ride in the sun or rain. PM in advance when you want to set something in the area.

bbasher, will have to get some more riding in this year even if it is just another rip up mt saint thomas, thats a fun ride! ill be in touch when im cabin bound with the bike. lots out this way too if your up for it.

boundrybasher

imported post

imported post

U know were to fine me.:D I will make a trip over that way for sure. Keep me in mind for a multi day trip to.I'm all in. cheers bry.:hb:

JER DR

imported post

imported post

Morning all;

Don't suppose any of you guys are entering the 24 hours of church relay race? A few of us from Banff are interested. Any of you entering?

Cheers,

Jeremy

WRBAJA

imported post

imported post

Hi all Kootenay Riders...Ed's the name...live in Salmo...got rid of my wr450 a few years ago...but got the itch again to get back intods'n again...just got back from calgary...picked up a brand new 09 DR650 :clap:...gonna be putting insurance on it soon...so, give me a shout sometime and we can create an adventure or two...i've lived in the Salmo area all my life and i know plenty of great areas to ride...koots_roots...give me a shout when you got time

Revnelli

End of summer report -
My fav rides are the Violin Lake loop and Granite mtn.
Had a blast going up the beaver lookout with Koot-roots. Fort sheppard is always worth it - and good for early season, Talus mtn is on my way home......
And there are soo many places to explore yet - west of Bear creek down towards Genelle, Mt Mackie from Fairview,
And that's just to local options
Just another reason to live in the world-class-kootenays :)

W0lfpack

Bump...

Bump...

Have not seen a post here in a while, figured I revive it.

I am a long haul truck driver and spend most of my time on the road. Home for me is in Fruitvale, and when I am home for a bit I hang with my kids, but I am always itching to get out and ride. My choice ride is a 2004 DR650. It has seen some trail riding, and I will admit it is better at it than I am.

What is the trail from Rossland to Christina Lake like? Decent trail, or not bigger bike friendly?

Also, any know of any cabins in the bush still standing. I have found three around the area, but all were knocked over to their foundation. Any ideas?

Revnelli

Rossland to christina lake is def bigger bike friendly (and a DR650 doesn't qualify as a big bike ;-) ) I know people on KLR650s (less dirt worthy than DR650) with semi-knobblies who love that run. You could double it with the railbed from Paulson to Castlegar for a great 1/2 day. I would go that way round as the downhill from Rossland to Big Sheep Creek is less fun as it is well graded with some lose stuff on top. The better riders go down some quad track on a power line from the first summit - but I'll leave sector to explain that one