Nothing else to do, so why not start another tire thread! KTM 350EXC-F

Bora20

Administrator
I just had Geoff at GP Moto mount one of his few remaining Goldentyre GT216AA. These are the 90/100-21 tires and they are F-A-T! It has been paired with a MotoZ Mountain Hybrid. Both are DOT approved and both can be run at low pressures.

The GT 216 AA "Fat Tire" – F.I.M approved front racing tire. Designed and developed for enduro racing, it has also proved to be excellent for motocross use on all terrains. It's special V shaped tread pattern gives excellent cornering precision. Its lightweight, flexible carcass with reinforced shoulder knobs guarantees a large contact surface and good shock absorption against minor impacts on uneven terrain.
90 / 100 - 21 TT 57R - This front tire has a larger than standard rolling diameter and larger cross section width (6mm). It is designed to handle all kinds of uneven and difficult terrain at extreme speeds with exceptional results.
DOT Legal and the preferred ZipTyRacing front tire used on all of our race bikes and our personal machines. This tire "looks" like many other popular tires but is much bigger when compared side by side. This tire grips dirt like a trials tire grips dry rock. Climbs out of ruts and steers in sand as if you were on hard pack. Lasts a very long time and actually performs well on pavement. It's a "must have" weapon in your off road arsenal.

gt216aa__63253.1410897353.1280.1280.jpg

cactusreid

I'm like bora, i they are all round and black, but i figure out there value and safety on a per ride basis. if it works and saves my sorry semi talented ass from a big catastrophic crash on even one ride, then i'm prepared to pay the sticker price all day long. I'm not rich by any means, but i do find value in a tire that preforms predictably and consistently over the time i'm on it.

brooking10

Lordendo, I'd be very surprised if your XCMS is not DOT. Unless it is a pro or fim, then it should be a DOT tire. Both the Scorps XCMH and XCMS are a DOT tire according to Pirelli.

brooking10

I was interested in these, until some local vancouver island guys insisted that they were disappointing in our environment and not worth the extra money. They are dot, so interesting from that perspective. I've never tried them myself, so I'll keep an open mind. But I do notice that the above review is in dry desert conditions

"I used one dedicated test loop with a wide mix of desert terrain; rock, deep sand, whoops, trail and high speed roads."

It seems the Goldentyre GT216AA is well know, but it was news to me.

http://www.enduro360.com/2014/08/19/products-tested/golden-tyre-gt216aa-front-review/

Bora20

Administrator
I have a HD duty tube in mine. The mousse is not required. If I only ran off-road I might run a mousse just so you can replicate low pressures and not worry about flats...ever.

I will be running mine between 12-15 psi.

kenf

Lordendo, I'd be very surprised if your XCMS is not DOT. Unless it is a pro or fim, then it should be a DOT tire. Both the Scorps XCMH and XCMS are a DOT tire according to Pirelli.

Scorpion Pro was also DOT as of a couple of seasons ago, last time I ran one.

David_Moen

I guess I should update this thread as I started it!

I ended up buying a set of Motoz Tractionator tires, and intermediate for the rear and a soft/intermediate for the front. While they were good (for knobbies) on-road, I didn't really find anything they were good for off-road. I thought I could wear them out and change them, but I couldn't put up with them long enough. I just peeled them off with lots of life left in them.

New shoes are GoldenTyre 216AA up front and 240 rear, fresh for the Loose Screw. As always, I have high hopes.

KTM-Bryon

Interesting. I just mounted a GoldenTyre 216AA up front and I went with the Motoz Mountain Hybrid tire for the rear. I haven't run either before and never ran a trials tire so I will see how it goes at the Loose Screw. BTW, I am on a KTM690.

Bora20

Administrator
I mounted a Motoz mountain hybrid this spring to replace my Pirelli mt43. I had high hopes, but it wasn't as good in moab as the mt43. Back home it was ok in the dry. I didn't find it great in the wet. A bunch of the knobs ripped off.

i have since replaced it with a goldentyre gt240 knobby, but have yet to ride it. I know it will work just fine. The mt43 is still a great tire and I may go back to it as well.

you will like the big 216AA front tire.

David_Moen

If I'm not careful I will run out of excuses for my riding ability!

What pressure do you find works best with the GT216AA Dan?

David_Moen

Well I think I've found my tires! The GT216AA/GT240 combo was awesome this weekend for the Loose Screw. The front particularly impressed me with it's great traction and degree to which it settled my front end down on loose, rocky trails and hills. Front and rear tires also offered way better braking traction than the tires that I've had on the bike, and to my recollection, even the Michelin M12/S12 combo I used to run on my 300. The knobs on the rear seem soft, so we'll see how that tire holds up, but so far I'm happy with them.