Odessa 2007 Ride Report

JavaJude

Super Moderator
[align=center]Ride Report[/align]

The photos in this report are not the best (sorry). Battery died in the camera so we had to use my cell phone camera.

Seven of us and Beemer made the trip to Odessa for the Stumpjumpers Desert Classic and DualSport event. the bus left on Friday early afternoon and we followed shortly afterwards.There was a lot of lovin' goin' on in the back seat
25Photo_041307_011-thumb.jpg

Driving down the I-5 just before Everett we came upon this sight so we pulled over to check it out:

Apparently the bus just needed some water (Tom can fill you in on all of the details). They off loaded Tom's bike so he could go and get what was required. We came upon them just as Tom got back from getting the supplies. The boys helped load Tom's bike back onto the bus:

The rest of the trip to Ephrata was uneventful, just lots of rain. IanB called to say that he and busboy had tried to ride the back roads to get to Ephrata but hit snow and horrible conditions so they had to turn around and make their way to Mt. Vernon and they would not be able to join us. The rain had completely soaked them thru and thru. It was probably a good thing as the Odessa course would not have been enjoyable on a big bike.

We got into Ephrata and HAD to go to the Mexican place for a VERY late dinner. Despite the fact that we showed up 15 minutes before closing they were still great to us. :tup:

Ride day:dr::dr::dr::dr::dr::dr: Notice the wet ground and the grey skies.

From Ephrata it's about a 45 minute drive to Odessa. Driving down the highway it's just rolling pasture land for miles and miles. As we crest a hill we see hundreds and hundreds (no kidding) of RVs, trucks, trailers and tents . . . we have made it to the start. It was insane. There was no way to capture this sight in a photo . . it was too huge. I'd have to say 2 football fields of jam packed vehicles. If you were in the centre there was no way you weregetting out until everyone else left. We managed to squeeze ourselves in (boxing in more people) and make our way to the riders meeting and sign in.

The rain was great as it kept the dust down :) There were so many bikes on the course. We were riding all single track all day thru the sage brush.

There was no way I could keep up to the guys to get their photos. Sohere are a couple of selfserving photos:

I caught up at a checkpoint and here's a horribly grainy photo of our group. Judy Tom Doug John and Mark. Neil was off riding the Ironman section.

We came, we rode, we left. We all made it out relatively unscathed except for some new bruises, blistered hands from the death grip and one slightly injured thumb (how's that feeling Neil?). I had a great time and will go again. It was worth the time it took to get there. I have never been to another event with some many bikes (hundreds and hundreds of them). I think there were more people than last year. This is not just a DS event it's part of the OR series so it's a major dirtbike race. The event on Saturday is for fun the big race day is Sunday. Apparently that is something to see.

The drive home was good. The best part was stopping in Leavenworth for Italian at Viscontis. If you are ever driving thru, it's the place to go.

Until next year . . . . :clap:

Did I mention I was a little sore today . . . . Not sure if it was the hours and hours and hours of standing on the footpegs or the gabillion woops we road thru or the tensedeath grip or the six hours in the vehicle. Aaaahhhhh good times!! :tup:

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Yup, that was a great ride

Sorry no pictures for my ride report, someone stole my camera from the truck:wi:along with my coffee funds

We did have a small problem with the Bus, the oil cooler water hose blew just south of Marysville mm198, the repair only took minutes but getting 4 gallons of water took 1.5 hours. other than that everything else worked as expected.

I have done this ride a number of years and always have lots of fun. This was the first year for me in the rain. Now when I say rain its not like here, you get wet but its not cold and its spotty and my second loop it stopped raining

The poker run loop (so called EZ) was about 45 kms single track, with lots of slimy mud, no dust. The Iron Man loop was 55 km. We all decided to skip the Dual Sport this year because the single track was so much fun. The Dual Sport included one loop of the poker run then took you off to all sorts of back roads and such.

Not sure how the Dual Sport riders made out this year, the poker run was much harder with the mud. hope some others add to the report and let us know. I did see two KTM 950 on the beginning of the Iron Man loop (first I thought of Ianb and Sheldon, but they cant be that stupid) I didn't stick around to see if they made it down the hill., but I wonder what happened to them:?.

Again I am sure the Poker Run must have been in the 3000+ riders, so you can imagine how crowded the 45 kms of trail was. I always find this run a great way to get my riding year started. 100 kms plus of single track with 3000 bikes, what else could sharpen your riding skills better than that?

When we left the skies broke up and the sun came out for a ez drive back home, no issues at the boarder got the bus unloaded and madeit to bed by midnight.

Legs and arms are pretty tired though, it feelsgood:ted:

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

JavaJude wrote:
[align=center]Ride Report[/align]

The photos in this report are not the best (sorry). Battery died in the camera so we had to use my cell phone camera.

Seven of us and Beemer made the trip to Odessa for the Stumpjumpers Desert Classic and DualSport event. the bus left on Friday early afternoon and we followed shortly afterwards.There was a lot of lovin' goin' on in the

Im not sure if this picture is acceptable here at DSBC. A little too much lovin goin on here.:)Its a dogs life:f:

04klr

imported post

imported post

Here's some numbers for ya:

2700 -number of riders in the poker run

950- riders on the start line for the 100 (approx 3/4 mile wide), funnelling into a 30 foot gap.

3000- approx # of R.V.'s

4hs- approx. time to dole out the trophys from the 14 foot cube van (friggin huge ones )

4500- approx # of attandees, making this event, the third largest "town" in the county

55km- one lap of the "ironman" poker run

77km.- one lap of the 100 miler.

2- number of huge and overflowinggiant garbage bins (and multiple oveflowing cans)

uncountable- number of empty beer cans.

and naturally a good time was had by all.

JavaJude

Super Moderator
imported post

imported post

Thanks o4klr :tup: Those are some amazing numbers. The amount of people there was just incredible. After riding the course it was tough to find our way back to the white bus in a sea of white RVs, white trailers, white semis, etc etc. There was no order to the way folks parked and set up camp. It was a zoo :hr:

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
imported post

imported post

Interesting stats there o4klr.

I'm sorry to report that you missed one. I recently learned that there was a death on the race course Sunday.

I believe this to be the first in the history of the event (whether at Mattawa or Odessa). Very sobering.

I rode around the 'poker run' course on Saturday (as I have the previous three years) at my typical stodgy pace, keenly aware that everything on the course will hurt... not many soft rocks or places you can fall and still make it into work Monday without having to explain something to your boss...

The physical demands and pace that the Sunday racers take is so deep into the red that I just can't imagine a get-off... Godspeed

Mark

D

dmthayer

imported post

imported post

skidmark43 wrote:
Interesting stats there o4klr.

I'm sorry to report that you missed one. I recently learned that there was a death on the race course Sunday.

I believe this to be the first in the history of the event (whether at Mattawa or Odessa). Very sobering.

I rode around the 'poker run' course on Saturday (as I have the previous three years) at my typical stodgy pace, keenly aware that everything on the course will hurt... not many soft rocks or places you can fall and still make it into work Monday without having to explain something to your boss...

The physical demands and pace that the Sunday racers take is so deep into the red that I just can't imagine a get-off... Godspeed

Mark
There have been other fatalities in the Dez100, this year the older gentleman who passed on suffered cardiac arrest while racing and went down, CPR was performed, but he did not revive. When Iain, Mark, and I (from Bellingham Dualsport Riders) passed him on the race course, he was covered with a sheet and the Stumpjumpers were detouring race traffic around the part of trail where he fell while waiting for the coroner to come pronounce him dead, so the body could be moved. It was definitely a somber experience to see him there covered with a sheet, and made us realize how real the danger of participating in the race was.

04klr

imported post

imported post

unfortunatly, no I did not miss any stats, dliberate omissions were made re; the carnage,to maintain a warm fuzzy adventure story, many broken bones, a broken back, untold bruises and bashes were happening all over the course, i saw may abandoned bikes on their sides with no-one around in sight, and most unsettling for myself, was coming upon a fellow rider sitting on the chest of the Heart attack victim administering CPR, taking every gust of wind out of my race, the helicopter parked there should've been my cue "don't look!", it was a scene that will remainin my noggin for awhile. All that aside, the weekend was a blast, passed hundreds of riders in a couple of minutes, how ofter can u say that.

D

DantesDame

imported post

imported post

Hi guys! I just joined this forum (Some say I'm a Canadian at heart) and I thought that you might enjoy my "noob's view" of Odessa :hr:

I'd post it up here, but in the interest of expediency, here's a link to my webpage:

http://www.dantesdame.com/07odessa.htm (not sure how to direct link on this board yet :D )

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

DantesDame wrote:
Hi guys! I just joined this forum (Some say I'm a Canadian at heart) and I thought that you might enjoy my "noob's view" of Odessa :hr:

I'd post it up here, but in the interest of expediency, here's a link to my webpage:

http://www.dantesdame.com/07odessa.htm (not sure how to direct link on this board yet :D )

Nice Report :tup:Great Pictures

I have done this ride 5 times and enjoy it every time, met new friends there too. I see you know Mr Cobb too. My first year there I thought the course was too tough for DualSport riders, now I'm one of those guys that just pass everyone and fly up the hill (always thinking about the first time I rode this event).

Now I use this event to sharpen my riding skills for the upcoming riding season, is so nice not to be riding in snow:ss:

Try this link if the one above does not work http://www.dantesdame.com

Then followthe Odessa Link

Tom T

JavaJude

Super Moderator
imported post

imported post

Hey DD

Great ride report and awesome photos :tup: I saw the photo of Brad on his Dakar

[align=left]
22-mud.jpg
[/align]
and I have the same bike. I would NEVER have taken my Dakar to Odessa. I had enough of an adventure on my DRZ 400 at Odessa this year.

Thumbs up to you :tup:for riding a KLR on that course. Your photos are great.

Welcome to our forum :) I hope you have checked out our Rides section. Since you are a "Canadian at Heart" perhaps you may wanna come up here and join in on our Dead Zone ride. Feel free to PM me or email me if you have any questions about any of the rides that you see on our forum.

-Judy-

Hooligan

imported post

imported post

Don't go there.....!:mad3::mad3::mad3:

*)^%()%)^(%^$&%$(*$@#$!#@^%$%)^_^&*$@!#$*&(( .......shipping company....!!!!......

Next time I go to Africa my bike is on the same flight as me (even if I have to dismantle it and take it as carry on luggage....)
.....:hb:

TS200R

imported post

imported post

You look good on a Honda are your KTM for sale:wi:

If you do not have wings you can not fly:mi: