Orca Run 2013 Discussion

Buck

We could use a couple of propane barbecues for group use and more firewood. Thanks! :tup:

Mad Max

We could use a couple of propane barbecues for group use and more firewood. Thanks! :tup:
Yup,

I'll bring my small BBQ and a 20 lb propane bottle as well as wood and a baby chainsaw (just in case). With all the crap I'm gonna bring it would be easier if I could bring my trailer.It's kinda large , will there be a spot to park it:confused:

soph9

We wish there was another Group Campsite!

You will probably need to reserve your own private site or take a chance and just show up as in any other provincial campground.

This event is early in the season and not on a holiday weekend so there should be plenty of sites available. :hf:
good to know thanks..I have printed out the registrations...just need to figure out if my other half can make it. Unfortunately she is in Ottawa doing some RCMP training and will not know her new schedule until May...I am going to probably register the both of us I mean it's only $40 each so I will plan on getting it out to you when i get back from Ottawa next week.

Husky

New to the Orca Run

New to the Orca Run

There will be a few circle routes to choose from, you can do one or all of them. Any DS bike with a license plate is suitable as most routes will be good gravel to old but passable logging roads and some pavement. You will need a GPS or follow a buddy that has one. Tracks will be emailed to registered riders a few days before the event. It will take anywhere from 2 hours to 12, longer if you get lost, run out of fuel or hit a bear. .
At this time the routes are top secret.. even the organizers (us) don't know where they go..

:hb:

Mike

I would like to attend this event, but haven't been before. What time do guys get started on the Sat? Roughly how far is the longest loop (need to pack some fuel if its longer than 130km;))? How competitive is it, I have never done a race before?
I know the area, have been to Nitinat and Bamfield before on my Husky.

Buck

We hold a Riders meeting at 0830, Saturday at the Group Campsite. You can start anytime after that. It is not a competitive race, more of a scenic day ride and social event with like minded riders. Simply choose and follow a route(s) on your GPS. Gas, supplies and food are available in many communities along the routes. Duncan, Lake Cowichan, during normal business hours. However keep in mind, more remote communities are less reliable. Start with a full tank and top up when available. Carry tools and flat repair supplies and ride with a buddy or a small group. Hope this answers your questions, enjoy the ride!

:hb:

Mike

Last edited:

Husky

Sounds good, thanks for the info Mike. I'm checking with my friend if he is up for it and will sign up. How is it looking with camping spaces?
Marcel

Buck

T shirt logo for 2013

T shirt logo for 2013

Orca2013_zpsd4750182.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

deepakvyas

I'm coming from UBC leaving at 4 pm Friday. What's the best way to get there? I'm thinking that I could drive to tsawassen and ferry to Victoria then drive to Gordon bay.

RiskMan

I'm coming from UBC leaving at 4 pm Friday. What's the best way to get there? I'm thinking that I could drive to tsawassen and ferry to Victoria then drive to Gordon bay.

It's about 1hr45min to 2hrs from Swartz Bay, or 1hr20min from Departure Bay. So it depends on whether you can get to Tsawassen or Horseshoe Bay faster. Traffic from Victoria will be crazy over the Malahat which has construction.

Scott

eviljimbo

Yea that Malahat is all screwed up right meow . Theres all sorts of construction going on . My best recommendation is come down from Nanaimo and save some hassle. It took me almost 1 hr to clear about 30 km last week .

offworlder

Orca run 2013 pilgrimage

Orca run 2013 pilgrimage

Thought I'd start a thread for folks headin to/from this years Orca Run. If yer lookin for someone to ride to/from the event with - post up here !

offworlder

Headin out from the mainland, Friday (24th). Likely catchin the 10:15am or 12:45pm ferry from Tsawwassen to Duke Point...
Will then ride South once on the otherside. Anyone care to join me ?

Razor

I'll be catching the 10:40 out of Horseshoe Bay and have to make a stop north of Nanaimo then heading south should arrive at Gordon Bay 5ish see you there!