• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Passmore to Applegrove

LetItRoll

Looking at taking a run over the Powerline in the next 2 weeks, wanted to make sure of the fuel situation on the west end. It looks like there are quite a few Forest Service Roads to go ride on the west side of Arrow lake if you cross the Needles ferry, figured there was probably fuel at Fauquier but wasn't sure and wanted to make sure so I can figure my options on that end of the route.
thanks

ktmken

I think there is fuel at Fauquier, but I know there is fuel at Edgewood.
The Mushroom addition restaurant (in Fauquier) has closed down.
Too bad.

Revnelli

I'm planning on doing this on the way to the Horizons Unlimited event (Aug 25-28). Would like to know the condition of the track - esp at the top - as I will be carrying paniers etc..

LetItRoll

I will make sure and get some good pics and post em, I've got that upload thing figured out now. My riding partner had a snag with his work schedule and I havn't been motivated to head over there alone, so I will see how it goes. I do plan on doing it sometime this summer (which is going by awful fast now).

250ccforme

A quote from a post on ADV concerning said powerline:

"Tried to go over the mountains to the south along a powerline. Made it to the top on a pretty gnarly ATV trail, but chickened out and headed back down when I realised that short of a helicopter retreival, I'd probably have to kiss the bike goodbye if I holed the sump up there. A jeep/truck could not have traversed the trail I was on."

Either he was off course or the snowmelt has wreaked havoc up there.

I drove it in a Toyota 4x4 last year no problem. Might be heading over there on Saturday. If I check it out, I'll be sure to post a report on conditions.

sector

I'm thinking of riding up to the HU event too. This seems like it would be a great route to take, and new to me.

Revnelli

Thanks for the reminder of your report Ken, Those photos were really helpful - bigger DS bikes with paniers etc - my DRZ should make it - even with me driving ;-). Did you get a GPS track?

250ccforme

Apple-Passmore Track

Apple-Passmore Track

Not mine but I trust the source.

Attachments

• apple-pow-Koch-351pt.gdb
    8.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

LetItRoll

Looks like a good part of this Passmore to Applegrove powerline road/trail is going to be used this week by the extreme adventure race, they are going to Zip line across the little Slocan river, then head west along the Powerline route on Mountain Bikes.

Last edited:
Passmore to Applegrove is good to go! Rode it twice this week and will probably hit it again on Saturday (I'm a photographer for the Raid the North Extreme adventure race, so I've been using my dualsport to get around). The road is pretty rough with rocks, so about the same as usual.

250ccforme

mekanik, a co-worker of his, and I did this both ways (started from Nelson) last Saturday (20th Aug). There is fuel in Fauquier, although they were out of premium (much to the disappointment of the Italian thoroughbreds fresh off the ferry). A limited food menu was also available. The burger was nicely lean and reasonably priced. On the return we went to Slocan via Little Slocan with the intent of doing Springer to Crusader. Once at the fuel stop in Slocan, butt fatigue/time contraints meant we did Lemon-Six Mile instead. May do Crusader this Saturday.
On the way over there was a rider from Calgary with a BMW 1200 at the start of the powerline about to head east to blacktop, having had a not so great scouting ride the previous evening. We invited him to join us and he had a great ride to Fauquier. He really didn't want to turn back with "only" 19 km to go to Applegrove but wisely thought it best to not attempt it solo being fairly new to this MC but coming from a dirt bike background.
A little east of the summit we met three eastbound riders from The Loops.

Didn't take many pictures but I may get some frame captures from the helmet cam posted.

Last edited:

sector

I rode over it last weekend with a friend... I was on my XT225 and she was on a DRZ400, both loaded with camping gear. I would not have wanted to be on my BMW F650 GS!! With the smaller bikes it was totally doable, but the first gnarly climb took us by surprise and Paula got stopped and had trouble getting going again.

We got gas in Fauquier and it wasn't a bad price considering the lack of gas stations.

It is steeper than it looks in this pic but you can get an idea of the loose rocky stuff you'll encounter on the way up...

I had 250cc4me's gps tracks (from this thread) and it helped a lot. Thanks!!

250ccforme

This picture almost shows the steep. It's a frame capture from the helmet cam.

In the album there are a few more frames, click on the picture.

Last edited: