Pruning Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
There has been some discussion on Pruning non active users

Niel if you could post on the parameters that you intend to use when we do our first Pruning and give us an estimate of how many users will be involved?

Users with no posts in the last 24 months?

Does anyone have any concerns of the pruning process,

Thanks Tom

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
The 24-month cutoff seems reasonable to me.
I'm at odds whether the parameter should be POSTS within this period or LOGIN.
We have a lot of lurkers, including friends of ours (I'll bet Doug Frederickson, John James & Sheldon Coles haven't posted in the past 24 months.)

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Im guessing here but it seems that we are going to be stuck with the software perameters. I would agree that we clear those who have never loged in first then move on from there

Dorky

I agree with Mark. I believe there are many registered users who rarely or never post but are active viewers. Most site software will allow us to determine counts of both sorts of users? Neil? Jeff?

hawk

Administrator
Staff member
We can prune users using: Has not logged on for x days.
I think the best route is to either create a group called (Members about to be deleted) and first move the users there. We then post up, to all, that if they are in that group they need to actually log on so we can see them or they will be deleted. We can then take our time and either move the users back to active members or delete them as required.

hawk

Administrator
Staff member
Guess we should post the reason for wanting to get rid of old users. We want the e-mail addresses to be current so when we do send out a mass e-mail we don't get listed as spammers.

Dorky

Wanting to remove dormant accounts where no logon activity has been seen in 700 days sounds reasonable. Do we even need/want to post the account names? Send out a warning message then mark the accounts dormant and freeze them. After X days of dormancy without response, the account is deleted.
How about a general message along the lines of:
There are a large number of inactive accounts on the system. These accounts are causing problems with the email notification system
Accounts where no logon has occurred for 700 days or more will be marked for deletion. Please logon at least once if you are a lurker and want to keep your account.

If someone hasn't logged on for 700 days I don't think there will be much response to seeing their account in a giant list of dormant accounts. I say freeze them and then delete them a month or two later.

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
I say delete them right away without the warnings etc.
We don't need the commentary or chaos from members that will ensue from a protracted process.
After scrubbing, I'll bet we'll receive messages from less than 10 people who ask about their "access / login problems"... which I can easily deal with.
MG

JavaJude

Super Moderator
I just got home from the cabin so please excuse my lack of comments until now. I agree with Mark and Tom's last comments. Let's get rid of them and deal with those few people who will wonder what happened.

hawk

Administrator
Staff member
K pruned 20 users with no posts and 2 with posts...let me know if you see anything amiss. After Monday's backup, we'll get the rest done.

hawk

Administrator
Staff member
All users over 700 since last log in except banned ones now pruned. Still 2400+ users...

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.