Ride Report Sept 7 2015

c337b

Got out with Mad Max / g450x & kidagin today Great ride until Rick (g450x) broke this leg We had two inreach communicators Max and I went for help while Kidagin stayed with Rick We found Bill Lougheed who works in the area He used his sat phone to call for help. I sent an inreach message to Kidagin that help was on the way Bill/ Max and another guy went to help Rick while I rode out to meet the ambulance. Rick was 23km out in the bush We got him out and he is in very good spirits He goes in for surgery in the morning

A BIG THANKS TO BILL LOUGHEED AND HIS CREW / BC AMBULANCE SERVICE / JAY ( MAD MAX) & DAVE (KIDAGIN)

Having fun earlier in the day
DSCF7142.JPG

Rick
DSCF7143.JPG

Ouch
DSCF7146.JPG

Max riding g450x bike out
DSCF7149.JPG

c337b

Also huge thanks to Chris Flynn of Nanaimo Lakes Logging for sharing Brandon Jones and the Emergency Transport Vehicle ,spine-board clamshell and time on a holiday.

Taxguy

That's a real bummer, what with the Moab trip coming up and all. Happy to hear that you were able to find help and get him out of there though.

Mad Max

Thanks to ALL involved for 100% effort and teamwork. Thanks to Rick for a great attitude and not letting out so much as a whimper or a complaint, what a tough bird. Heal well and heal fast my friend.

KidAgin

Yep, I was amazed how well Rick handled the situation, from the time we picked his bike up off him to when he was loaded into the stretcher, not once did he whimper or complain. His biggest worry was that he had impacted the ride for the rest of us. Made for a relatively easy couple hours for me while Frank and Jay were out looking for help. On the bright side Rick, one of the guys who showed up to help was Kerry, a guy I went to elementary school with just a short 40+ years ago, hadn't seen him since! Told you things happen for a reason :)

Get well soon Rick, hope the surgery goes well

DirtClunker

Was Rick smiling because of:

(a) just his good nature...
(b) really great drugs
(c) cute blonde EMT
(d) all of the above

DSCF7143.JPG

W RON

Sorry to here about the crash, when someone has more time I (we) would like to know how did inreach work for you or not!!

Get will soon to ride and do it all again : )

Ron

DaveSw

Oh man, sorry to hear about this. It's never nice to see someone you know get hurt. Hope your recovery is quick and as painless as it can be.

Dave

North

I hope that Rick has a full recovery and it's nice to see the team work to get him help.

c337b

"Quote" ( I (we) would like to know how did inreach work for you or not!!)

Inreach worked great We did not use the emergency feature. We were not far from help. Both Rick & I have an inreach unit so we used it to communicate between each other

The only advice I have is to preload your buddy's contact info before we going out. We had load our inreach address out at the crash site.

Frank

redpillar

Glad you are not in too bad a shape. You guys all handled that really well. Do you guys have the SE model or the explorer models? I didn't know you could text between them.

DirtClunker

This past summer, Frank was messaging me to my Inreach SE when we were out in the woods. He (and the gang) were up at Naniamo lakes. We were down on Gordon River Main. Other than my reception was very obscured, the InReach-to-Inreach messaging worked fine.

c337b

I have the inreach explorer & Rick has the inreach SE

InReach Expolorer

[h=3]The world’s first satellite communicator with navigation built-in.[/h]The inReach Explorer has all of the features of the inReach SE, plus built-in navigation capabilities to get you there and back – every time. And just like the inReach SE, the inReach Explorer is rugged, waterproof and ready for anything you are.
Use inReach Explorer to:

• Create or view routes including distance and bearing information.
  • Navigate a route, to a waypoint, or find your way back with a high-detail breadcrumb trail.
  • Create or view waypoints to mark key locations such as a campsite or vehicle location.
  • Plan your route(s) and waypoints ahead of time using the Explore portal and then share your journey with others to allow them to follow along.
Just like the other inReach devices, you can use Explorer to:

• Send and receive 160-character text messages to cell numbers or email addresses worldwide.
  • Trigger an SOS, receive a delivery confirmation, and communicate with our 24/7 search and rescue monitoring center to provide and receive critical updates.
  • Select your tracking interval, track your progress, and share your GPS location, elevation and speed with others.