• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Rossland, Fouquier, Trout Lake Loop on little dual sport bikes

sector

It's hard to get around to doing a ride report during riding season, but now it is winter. Though my passions have moved elsewhere for the time being, the nights are long and leave room for reflecting on last season's highlights. So, here goes.. a little ride report to start you thinking about this year ...

My riding buddy, Paula came up from Oregon for a weekend of riding. We had 3 days, so decided on a West Kootenays camping tour. Paula on her DRZ400 and I on my XT225. The route would take us up to Passmore, over the powerline to Fauquier, Watshan lake and north, across the Galina ferry and down by Trout Lake, Meadow Creek to Kaslo. Several side trips from there and back to Rossland.

Ready to head out..

We rode up to Passmore to Koch Creek Rd which was to take us to the powerline road and over to Fauquier. What became a common conversation on our ride to come.. Paula: "The road is closed, what now?" Sector: "Let's go see".

Good thing we ignored the sign. Turns out, road not closed where we were heading!

We took off up those powerlines, all is good!

Then the road got steep, loose and rocky! This is way steeper and looser than it appears. Doesn't Gary Larsen have a cartoon about that?

The only regret about this lay down was that it broke the wine bottle!

Lizardrider and partner rode up while we're getting the gear back together.

On our way again, Paula has gotten into the groove...

We reach the pass and start down over the other side, into the Arrow Lakes.

The scenery from the top of the pass wasn't too shabby.

We grabbed gas in Fauquier then hopped on the ferry.

Rode up a gravel road and scored a lake front campsite on Watshan lake.

more to come...

Last edited:

sector

Day 2...
Heading north the next day, it seemed as if we were in the middle of nowhere.

We followed Pinkston Creek off and on for much of the day

Looking down at the Galena Ferrie coming our way, I was wondering if we were going to get lucky and catch this one.. turns out we rolled on right as the gates were lifting! Cool!

Dropping down to Galena Ferrie

Galina Ferry, where our travels take us back toward the south...

The sister ship...

Trout Lake, the XT is running on fumes at the moment. Found out later there is gas in TL...supposedly...Meadow Creek and Cooper Creek also have gas, but are quite a ways down the road yet. Trout Lake is beautiful...

Rode down to Kaslo and spent the night in the Muni campground. It was hot so, I sprouted a Camper Down Elm Tree from my duffle bag.

Nice dinner at the Kaslo Hotel and a view of Mt Willet..

Day 3, coming up...

Last edited:

250ccforme

That's great Sector. Brings back memories.

I still haven't edited my helmet cam footage from Passmore-Fauquier-Little Slocan. I think I may have a friend convinced to let me install Live Movie Maker and use his Windows 7 machine to do that, it's just TOO painful with my XP box.

sector

Glad you're enjoying. The amazing thing about day 2 was that between Watshan Lake and the Galena Ferry, we saw one guy with his son on an ATV. That was it. We had the place to ourselves for half a day!!

sector

Day 3

Day 3

Kaslo isn't far from Rossland, so we planned to explore around there and make our way slowly home, poking down as many back roads as possible..

sector

Overlooking Kaslo From the top of Buchannan lookout and more...

Instead of riding the Kaslo-New Denver highway, we rode along beside it on the railway.

We finally had to hit pavement near New Denver and realized we needed to book back to Rossland. All those side trips took awhile, but what fun!!

Revnelli

Awesome trip and some great trails. Best backyard in the world :) Can you post/send a gps track - I'd like to try some of the trails round there sometime.

250ccforme

[Instead of riding the Kaslo-New Denver highway, we rode along beside it on the railway.

We finally had to hit pavement near New Denver and realized we needed to book back to Rossland. All those side trips took awhile, but what fun!!

If I recall that stretch correctly, just a few meters ahead of the rider, the highway is straight down on the left.

tuning_fork56

Loving what you've posted thus far. How do you like the spitfire windshield? I am thinking of adding a screen to my bike. What kind is on the Suzuki?
Cheers
John

sector

The spitfire is great. As Revnelli says, super easy to pop on and off. Too easy if you don't watch the screws that keep it on! I lost one at the end of the first day and had to strap it to the back for the rest of the trip. But now, I have spare parts and keep a better watch on it.

Shuswap

The spitfire is great. As Revnelli says, super easy to pop on and off. Too easy if you don't watch the screws that keep it on! I lost one at the end of the first day and had to strap it to the back for the rest of the trip. But now, I have spare parts and keep a better watch on it.

Just a touch of Medium Lock-Tite helps too. There are lots of fittings that can cause you grief if they loosen. I just use a dab and it puts a bit of friction on the threads for multiple uses. THANKS for the great pics and report.....sure gets me fired up for the coming season!!

Angry Bear

Absolutely Stunning scenery!! Wow! Rossland will be my new home in 2 weeks and the search will be on for a bike. 8 years without one has been way too long!

sector

Absolutely Stunning scenery!! Wow! Rossland will be my new home in 2 weeks and the search will be on for a bike. 8 years without one has been way too long!

Congrats on your move to Rossland! I hope you have a Mtn bike and skis too... Lots to do here! Good luck on the bike search!!