• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Sept 5th to 7th, 2014 - BC Big Adventure Ride III - The Gold Rush

teamgrizzly-bc

I did the cloverleaf ride out of Kamloops last year, and it wasn't too bad. After mulling over the issue, I've decided to put on the third edition with some changes. For one while I hate to exclude anyone, this edition will be an all camping affair. I've done this ride a few years back and found some absolutely sweet forestry campsites. Now personally I think that this is the core of adventure riding is to really get out there.

The course I have so far is a route that goes from Hope to Barkerville, by as much backroads as possible. One niggle I have is that so far the route uses pavement up the Fraser Valley. Mind you it does follow the Gold Rush route and it is a nice ride. I find the East Harrison FSR is just a touch too ugly, the West Harrison is a little too much out of the way and both have been used in the first BC Big Adventure Ride.

This ride is aimed at the bigger bikes, but any dual sport bike can ride it. And if you can convince a friend to drive a chase truck, then so be it.

I'll post up a primary map of the proposed route. Please feel free to chime in. I am curious about the route and especially the conditions along in September. And my friend from Salt Spring would like to know about potential muddy sections and the weather.

Thanks

Mike

I B Stryder

Try turning left at Boston Bar. Cross to North Bend, follow power line road to Lytton. Cross back on Ferry, go up the hill and take Botanie Creek Rd, then onto Fountain Valley. Road north, follow powerline road to Clinton. The rest youve done but there are many rds to go north.

Last edited:

Farp

Try turning left at Boston Bar. Cross to North Bend, follow power line road to Lytton. Cross back on Ferry, go up the hill and take Fountain Valley. Road north, follow powerline road to Clinton. The rest youve done but there are many rds to go north.

The Fountain Valley road starts about 25 miles north of Lytton up hwy 12. He wants to minimize asphalt so it might be better for him to stay on the west side of the Fraser all the way up to Lillooet and then take the West Pavillion road all the way up to Big Bar ferry and cross the river there and then continue on north. He could hook up with the Botanie Creek road out of Lytton and then follow it up past the Onion Lake/Monkey wrench area and get back to hwy 12 via the Laluwissin Creek road, but I'm not that familiar with the Laluwissin section and if he thinks East Harrison is too ugly I'd be reluctant to send him anywhere other than a well established FSR. I rode that area abour 4 yrs ago and it wasn't very hard but there were some mud sections that could cause problems. If he goes in Sept the mud shouldn't be an issue - but ya never know.

I've got GPS tracks for the route from Harrison Hot Springs up to Big Bar but the ferry was broken down so that's as far we got. Teamgrizzly, if you want to PM me your email address I'll send you the GPS tracks I have.

John

Farp

East Harrison/kookipi was in pretty good shape as of October 2013. Would sure make a nice addition to the route.

I went over Kookipi last Oct and it was in pretty good shape. There were a couple of short sections where an inexperienced rider on a big bike might need some assistance but nothing that could be considered a deal breaker. However....... on the way up to the summit I noticed several cracks in the road. These cracks were about an inch wide and in the neighborhood of a hundred feet long. They ran parallel to the road and were located from the middle of the road to the downhill side of it. I think they are an indication that the road is starting to break up and slide down the hill. This winter they will have filled with water and gone through freeze thaw cycles which will exacerbate the situation. It wouldn't surprise me if the road is now impassable due to washouts. The only way to find out for sure will be to make a recon ride up there after the snow has gone - usually late June.

John

teamgrizzly-bc

I've ridden the Kookipi on a fully loaded Strom on several occasions. The word "fun" was not used on any of the occasions. Mark (the organizer of the first BC Big Adventure Ride) did a bang-up job of trying to fix the ugly washout section, but it's still a mess. I'm honestly looking at riding pavement from Hope to Lytton at least. It's not a bad ride and it does follow the Gold Rush route. I do want to avoid using sections that have been used in previous rides. Keep in mind that we'll all be on bikes loaded with camping gear.

Also I don't think I'd make it through with my Ural, damn thing is wide.

I'll try to post up some screenshots of Garmin Basecamp later, but it looks like some pavement and minor gravel from Hope to Lytton. After Lytton I might hit either the Onion Lake or Fountain Valley area into Spences Bridge. After Spences, I'll hit the east side of the Thompson to Cache Creek. Not sure where to go after Cache, but I might hit up the Deadman-Vidette roads. Then from there I'll try to hit Horsefly, Likely and the Cunningham Pass. Of course the Big Bar section is always a crowd pleaser. Another idea would be to hit the West Harrison north and cross over the Highline Rd by Seton Portage, then hook up with the Big Bar and Jesmond Roads. These have been done before, but they are good roads to ride for the bigger bikes. The key here is time.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I know the Cache Creek - Deadman/Vidette - 100 Mile area well since I have been riding there for the last 20 years. Let's meet for a coffee and I can share some thoughts with you for a BIG bike/URAL friendly route through that area. I go up there frequently and can also search out some camp sites as well.

Brad.

Last edited:

teamgrizzly-bc

I might take you up on that Caribooster. I was going to use the Deadman-Vidette section that was used in the first Big Adventure Ride. But if you have something different, I'm all ears.

Mike