snow sucks as much as the stock KLR tires do

bchunter

At that rate you should be looking at some barkbusters for your rig :p

Yup, snow+stock tires+KLR = :hf: Absolutly great for video content though!! Thanks for posting up the vid. Way to take it off the beaten path.

Groovy

I just got it last month so it needs pretty much everything still ;) Only modification are the Pivot Pegz at the moment.
I have new Kenda 270's on the way and wanted to at least see how bad the stock tires are on it. You would think that Kawasaki would at least put a 50/50 tire on the bike.
At that rate you should be looking at some barkbusters for your rig :p

Yup, snow+stock tires+KLR = :hf: Absolutly great for video content though!! Thanks for posting up the vid. Way to take it off the beaten path.

I hate to burst your bubble bro, but Kenda 270's aren't going to make much difference in those conditions.
And always remember: A KLR's natural position off road is on it's side, your job is to keep it from going to it's default position :)

Groovy

Let me save you the hassle of trying different types of tires on your KLR and guide you straight to the correct choice. And yes, dragging pegs at 120km/hr is still possible - ask me how I know. :) If you are riding the trans-Canada to Toronto the Kendas will be fine.

http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e09-dakar-rear-tire.html

my days of dragging pegs and corners at double the posted recommended speed are behind me for the most part. I would have stayed on a GSXR if that's what I wanted. I was just looking for a better compromise for off road traction and for the price $116 for a pair delivered I cant complain at all. I've seen lots of people recommend the Kenda 270 and they have a highly rated review.
Regardless they have to be better in sloppier off road conditions then the stock tires.
Those Mitas tires look good and I might give them a go next set. I just don't want to sacrifice too much road traction as I use my bike to commute on a regular basis in town.
Thanks for the input!

Groovy

LOL @ the default position :p I hear the left default position is good for finding that last little bit of gas when you're out too!
I don't ride in snow generally, but I have on my CR and XR250's and with a full MX tire it can be hella fun... although the KLR isn't exactly as nimble or light as my old dirt bikes were. I just wanted to get a sense for comparison purposes. The next video I'll try it again on the Kendas and see. Next week!

I hate to burst your bubble bro, but Kenda 270's aren't going to make much difference in those conditions.
And always remember: A KLR's natural position off road is on it's side, your job is to keep it from going to it's default position :)

bchunter

Yup, just this year i have found my snow tire combinations. Will see how much life i get on the rear one, but i am liking the traction in the snow and soup mud.

Tires, always a topic and a challenge...... :hb:

joker650

for what it's worth......
I used that rear Kenda for many years on my DR650 ad again many on my Super Enduro and I found they worked great.....as long as they had air in them.
The only reason I don't use them on the 950 any more is due to a flat I had with one on the street in town. The side walll was weak and the tire almost rolled off the rim.:hr:

PS. GREAT VIDEO !!

MikeyT

Ouch!...I resemble that remark :) +1 on the E-09 Dakar...got one on my KLR now with a 606 on the front...not a lot of klicks on it but loving it so far.

That yellow colour on the KLR is pretty rad. The "default position" is especially prevalent on sandy tracks in Baja - with a full tank of gas :)

Groovy

Well I managed to sneak away from my chores long enough to get up Tabor Mountain on the KLR to compare traction of the stock tires and the Kenda 270
http://youtu.be/izBsIDyCB5k
I got some other riding footage to upload when I get a break