So how do you kill a club?

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
I have been in many clubs and associations over the years, starting with Cubs. I have watched a lot of clubs just fade away. Canadian Goldwing Owners Association, The Richmond Motorcycle Club, Team Grizzly, BC Motorcycle Federation to name a few. These clubs were very much like DSBC as they were seen as "un clubs" by the traditional types.

So how did these clubs die? Lack of interest? Poor leadership? No plan? Volunteer burnout? I think most of us can agree here that Volunteer Burnout can be attributed to many clubs demised and plays a big part of the slow growth and death of a club. The hoops that need to be jumped to become a society then the continuous "responsibilities" of that society. It's true that many hands make light work, but there seems to be no end to government interference of one type or another. Do I have a better idea how this should be done? Nope.

We (more like me) have been convinced that government will only seriously listen to registered societies (clubs). To fall in line DSBC became a registered society, we jumped the hoops and followed the rules and voila, DSBC the club came to be. There are regular reports to government to be done and insurance coverage to acquire but most are a good thing, however do not make our sport any better of fun.

This now brings me to the Nubee Ride, something we have been doing for some Ten years now. We (or should I say Javajude) goes through the usual hoops and paperwork but this year they make one more provision before RSTBC will issue the authorisation to use the Tamihi Staging Area. (something that DSBC and others donated cash and volunteer hours for all to use)
The provision is
Permission to use Crown land under the Land Use Permission Policy

Seems reasonable enough if you read it fast, besides its only "one more" thing to do.

It turns out that this Land Use Permission Policy has been around since 2014, but for one reason or another it is now being required (makes sense, why make policies if your not going to follow them?)

First big problem we run into is the DSBC Nub ride has often been over 150, this kick into a different Policy Adventure Tourism Land Use Permission Policy. A quick review of this policy and a short discussion with FrontcounterBC DSBC decides we don't have the volunteer time to complete the required steps and FrontcounterBC doubts that it would be approved before the event.

So DSBC decided we with limit the number of participants to under 100 so we can fall under the Basic "Land Use Permission Policy" It will certainly affect our ability to support the event and any moneys we donate (ie we donated 2500 dollars to Chilliwack SAR last year) So there is one line in this policy that needs some time to complete
The organized event does not conflict with existing Authorizations. Land statusmust be assessed by accessing the ILRR
Integrated Land and Resource Registry (ILRR)

I consider myself of average intelligence and reasonably good computer skills, I don't mind putting in a couple of hours. Through my business I have an BCeID account, so I go the the link that was provided, only to learn that the IRLL layers need to be activated and that will take 3 or 4 business days. Finally get the activation that was required and I am baffled, a call to front counter and we review how and what to do.

Now here we are today, below is a screenshot of one page of a 156 page report on the area (just Tamihi to Cultus) where the Nubee ride has been held for the past 10 years

I am told that frontcounterBC will review all these with me and tell me which ones I must contact. I am sure I missed a bunch of stuff as my selection was not as accurate as I think I should have been.

I can only think that all the other clubs whether they are motorcycle, or hikers will be running (like the play on words?) into the same problems of over bureafication of what should be a simple process

It may be time for a professional to look at this? (Rustic)

IRLL_screenshot.jpg

Farp

Tom, they might be able to shut down the Newbie ride but they sure as hell can't shut down this website and this website is all we need to make riding connections. I remember riding the trails around Cultus Lake in the 70's. Those trails have been there for over forty years and if there was any significant environmental damage caused by them we'd know about it by now, and there hasn't been. The loggers have been in there clearcutting to their heart's content, creating a thousand times more environmental damage than any system of motorcycle trails ever could, and the forest flora and fauna has regenerated itself.

We might lose the Newbie but we won't lose this website and we'll continue to ride the trails. I suspect if the Newbie was cancelled but we all showed up on an informal basis to ride the trails and local FSRs on April 30 the effect would be pretty much the same as if it wasn't cancelled. If the Newbie ride is cancelled I will show up at the Tamahi Staging area on April 30 and will lead a big bike, new rider friendly, adventure type ride. We will ride public roads on street legal, plated bikes and will not be breaking any laws and there's not a damn thing they can do about it.

bitingdog

I'm going dirtbiking at Tamihi on April 30th. Hopefully there will be a Nubie Ride. Regardless, I'm still going to ride. Anyone else want to join me?

North

It looks like that you need to hire a good sized Law firm for a week now to have our Newbie Ride.

Anyways, I did go to the Chilliwack-Hope Constituency office today and had a nice long talk. My MLA was not there, he's in Victoria, but he was sent the information regarding my concerns. I mentioned "God" several times and when I asked, I was told it was okay to do so there. :) My concerns where but forth as a Private Citizen.

Since I was on roll, I went to my MP's Office as well about other concerns.

Last edited:

North

PS: I just received a call to set up a face to face meeting with my MLA.

I couldn't book a time because I am on call with my work. But he did call me and talk to me today. To make a long story short he receives a large amount of complaints about ATV, Motorcycle, etc, noise from people living in the Tamihi area. But that I should call the Recreational Use office and talk to them. I laughed and said People have been trying work these People and it has not worked out.

After talking more, his compromise was to limit the Ride to 100 people, as who wants all these Motorcycles riding by where they live. I explained that it was not like that. We have three levels of Rides and that they are staggered, etc. That we ride street legal insured Motorcycles.

In ending he is going to make a call and get back to me. I am not hopeful.

I did get the feeling that due to the large amounts of noise complaints, motorized vehicles are in the cross-hairs now and that we are being shot at.

I did thank him for his time.

Last edited:

tomcycle

Staff member
PS: I just received a call to set up a face to face meeting with my MLA.

I couldn't book a time because I am on call with my work. But he did call me and talk to me today. To make a long story short he receives a large amount of complaints about ATV, Motorcycle, etc, noise from people living in the Tamihi area. But that I should call the Recreational Use office and talk to them. I laughed and said People have been trying work these People and it has not worked out.

His compromise was to limit the Ride to 100 people, as who wants all these Motorcycles riding by where they live. I explained that it was not like that. We have three levels of Rides and that they are staggered, etc. That we ride street legal insured Motorcycles.

In ending he is going to make a call and get back to me. I am not hopeful.

I did get the feeling that due to the large amounts of noise complaints, motorized vehicles are in the cross-hairs now. I did thank him for his time.

MLA Throness is in the middle of all this, yes bell acres residents complained about noise but we have already proved it is not us, not to mention bell acres is some 3k away from the staging area. Mr Throness was included on the sound tests results, I suspect this is not about noise but a whole host of other issues not even related to us. Last year we did not receive one complaint from bell acres or anyone else, I checked myself and was told everything was good. So Mr Throness is probably working on old information and should be updated. Also we already agreed to the sub 100 number.

Our real problem is the difficulty of the process

When you talk to Mr Throness make sure to update him so he has the latest information

North

MLA Throness is in the middle of all this, yes bell acres residents complained about noise but we have already proved it is not us, not to mention bell acres is some 3k away from the staging area. Mr Throness was included on the sound tests results, I suspect this is not about noise but a whole host of other issues not even related to us. Last year we did not receive one complaint from bell acres or anyone else, I checked myself and was told everything was good. So Mr Throness is probably working on old information and should be updated. Also we already agreed to the sub 100 number.

Our real problem is the difficulty of the process

When you talk to Mr Throness make sure to update him so he has the latest information

Thanks Tom, I will.

North

Tom, I sent you a facebook message regarding this. I just got called back by Mr. Throness.

Last edited:

TW_rider

FWIW...I won't be in the area on the 30th, so this is one participant that won't be adding to the total count.

Dan

I'm going motorcycle riding on April 30 and probably camping at the staging area, I hope there's no event going on there. :D

tomcycle

Staff member
Tom, I sent you a facebook message regarding this. I just got called back by Mr. Throness.

Thanks Rick

Its small efforts like this that help get us thru the government maze of confusion. Because there are several riding areas within MLA Laurie Throness' electoral boundaries of Chilliwack Kent Chipmunk, Tamihi, Vedder, Hemlock, Harrison Lake, Popkum, and all the open area. Mr Throness has a lot of pull on what goes on within his boundaries. It is important if you live in his riding (a lot of you do) that he hears from you. He represents you even if you did not vote for him. I would let him know who you are and that you participate in motorised recreation within the same district as you live, ask him for his opinion about motorised recreation. Tell him its important to you and your family. Squeaky wheel get the oil and right now its not us.
Just in case you want to contact Mr Throness before the election, he is not against us he just does not have the right information.

Chilliwack
Constituency Office
10-7300 Vedder Road
Chilliwack, BC
V2R 4G6

Phone: (604) 858-5299
Toll Free: 1-844-858-5299

[email protected]

When or If we get our Newbee ride authorization it will be posted here

I would also like to add that not only are the usual suspects involved here but BCORMA has been working in the background getting results, however its not a done deal yet.

c337b

Both the No Work Zone Ride & Orca Run on Vancouver Island were shut down because of all the red tape that had to be gone thru to get permission to use the land (Wish we could turn the clocks back 25yrs)

r_jackson

Both the No Work Zone Ride & Orca Run on Vancouver Island were shut down because of all the red tape that had to be gone thru to get permission to use the land (Wish we could turn the clocks back 25yrs)

I really hope this is relayed to the government officials. I enjoyed the No Work Zone rides and it was a great fundraising effort that is now gone. As many other have said, I'll probably be riding that day too, as well as helping clean up any trails before hand. And if there's a collection jar for the CSAR, or any one else, I could very well drop some $$ in it. And if there's a hot dog to be eaten, I'll munch down. We're all insured now, so having a club/group accept liability for our actions isn't really neccesary. What's to stop a bunch of friends from getting together for an "informal" spring ride?

MXOldtimer

Looks like the 3 musketeers from sunny AB will be in Chilliwack on April 29. Probably camping out at Tamihi as well. Would really appreciate the chance to donate to whatever community group we can support and help Tom and the boys consume some hot dogs on the 30th. We wouldn't count as participants because we would just go for a ride. Or follow a group.

Rustic

DSBC President / BCORMA Treasurer
Staff member
Hey guys, lets keep the Negative rhetoric to a dull roar. We have been given verbal permission for the event to go ahead with some assistance from the Recreation Officer, please try and be patient. lets let this thread die until Tom and our group get confirmation from MoFLNRO.

Thanks, see you out there!