• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

Stave West

Phoenix

Attended the presentation by Bill Brooks, Chair of the Stave West Master Plan Task Force. It is encouraging to see that they are seeking input from users of the area and are more focused and funded than before. This is an ongoing process with reports due Feb/Mar 2015. There are five main work groups one of which is stake holders/user groups, this would include dualsport enthusiasts. There could be real opportunity here to have improved access to this area. First up will be attending the three upcoming open houses and also the online survey. However the Mission website does not seem to be quite up to date, I will get the links and post up.

Currently there is the main road suitable for tire scrubbing, C riding to viewpoints and the odd gnarly bits, but this is a large area and with more interest and involvement could present more diverse riding. It's where I went to get my dualsport skills honed to a fine "C" :p.

Anyone who has explored these areas has witnessed the problems. The trouble makers are opportunists. I think if there is a plan and some organisation(ability to report) they will not feel so comfortable. Some measures have already been put in place to record activity and enforce the area.

Cheers, Alex.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Thanks Alex

I think it will be very important for us as off road users to attend these open houses, and with some real numbers. I can assure you the non motorised will be there. If this area is worth keeping open we as a user group are going to have to put some effort into it.

At this time I would not be to supportive of the Master Plan Task Force, as I already sat in on one presentation and they talked a lot about inclusivness and cooperation with off road users, but so far the reports dont support this. Perhaps in the future if we put enough pressure on them it will change?

Please keep us informed and tell us what we should be doing

Tom

Phoenix

Having perused and searched the Mission website I realise that things might not be as up to date as the announcements. So I have scanned the circular with the upcoming open houses. The 2009 report from the consulting firm Lees &Assoc. does mention DSBC specifically from our participation at the previous open houses and online survey as interested users of the area. Will still check and confirm for the most up to date survey before posting link. If a bunch of DSBC riders can have fun trying to find the Northwest connector surely we can participate in the open houses and surveys to stay active in the process and maybe, just maybe, expand the opportunities North of the Fraser.

tomcycle

Staff member
I will be sure to set at least on of the days aside to attend

If we are serious about off road riding we will need lots of representation, even if its just to show up, be recognised as an motorised off road user.

Tom

Phoenix

I was leaning towards the June 7th meeting with maybe breaky before the meeting then ride out to Mission and fill the parking lot with dualsports. If I remember correctly there may be some interactive map /display and a assuredly a list to add your name and club affiliation. Even if you have only ridden West Stave once or maybe plan to check it out someday get your voice in now. There has been great strides made in the Chilliwack area and with 5000 hectares in the Stave West area seems to me there could be enough space for multiple user groups as well. Of course much of the area is very rugged, might have to get a lighter companion for the DR eventually ;).

flyn

Breakfast at Bruces of course. 9.00 AM as usual then ride out to mission . I will be there to represent DSBC and all the vintage 1970s two stroke endure bikes. All of them!!!

Phoenix

Consider myself a search guru when it comes to finding info on the interwebs, however the mission.ca website still seems to be lacking info in this latest venture. Sent an e-mail to the Chair to see what's up. So a friendly reminder that the first open house will take place Thursday, June 5th from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. with presentations @ 7:30 and 8:30 p.m. @ the Mission Leisure Centre, 7650 Grand Street, Mission , B.C. Aside from Squamish area and Chilliwack there isn't much around close to the lower mainland(triangle beach does not qualify) with riding opportunities.

Second Meeting for Saturday, June 7th looks like weather should be good. Perhaps after breaky and some nice twisty back roads to open house thereafter dirt
could be explored at a leisurely pace for all skill levels including newbie to AAA+++ Vintage 70's two stroke enduro riders:D.

offworlder

I'm in - will be at Bruce's after 9:00, then join the group and head to the meeting.
I say we hit Stave on the way back, as there's plenty of diverse riding there (to protect) !

flyn

Sorry I hate to do it, But I'm going to have to bail on you guys.
I strongly suggest to anyone with spare time , they should go to this meeting

Phoenix

Okay here is the link to the survey/questionnaire, https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/stavewest

For those that can't attend the open houses take the time to fill out the survey and for those that can, still fill out the survey. The task force is aware that users of the area come from all over the lower mainland, you don't need to live next door to participate.

Cheers, Alex.

Last edited:

tomcycle

Staff member
Email sent to DSBC members to participate in the on line survey

TT

Phoenix

Thanks, DSBC is still listed in the survey as a club/group affiliation to check off. Like many things in life a little involvement can go a long way. Not trying to sound moosepoopish :eek:.