Street Legal Dirt / Dual Sport Motorcycles for British Columbia

bitingdog

This thread was going strong, but seems to have been forgotten since the update...
Anyhow, it was fun so I'll continue with one that I own:

2008-present Yamaha WR250R (and X)

Pros:
Nice looking aluminum perimeter frame.
Well finished.
Fully adjustable suspension with decent travel 10.6 inches front and rear.
Handles like a proper dirtbike.
Good ground clearance, high seat. Just like a real dirtbike.
Seat height can be lowered almost an inch with stock adjustments, more with a Yamalink.
Smooth and modern rev happy motor.
Great aftermarket support.
Loyal owners - entire forums dedicated to this bike.
Low maintenance, valve adjustment due at 26,000 miles/40kms.
Factory street legal. Pleasant at town speeds. Not "buzzy" at all.
Reliable. The Toyota of motorbikes.
Strong resale value, easy to sell.
Best of the Japanese dual sports.

Cons:
Still too heavy despite aluminum frame (295lbs wet).
Choppy fuel injection (sound familiar?) needs programmer or CO/TPS tuning to tame.
Geared too high stock (13x43), much like every other dual sport. Need big rear sprocket to be dirt worthy.
Not much bottom end grunt. needs revs to make power. This is exacerbated by too tall stock gearing.
Comes stock with Trail Wing tires. They do better than expected, but you'll want something more dirt worthy.
High seat intimidating for Noobs, but still 1.5 inches lower than a KTM EXC. Learn to love it.

In summary:
There will be times on the trail when the extra 40lbs makes you wish that you bought the 350 EXC, price be damned!
Once home these thoughts will be tempered by the low maintenance/low hassle factor. A 350 EXC will need several
engine overhauls before the WR250R has had it's first valve adjustment.

www.yamaha-motor.ca/

woofer2609

^+1, nice wr250r/x summation bitingdog, especially the 40 extra lbs part. In tight uphill singletrack or ruts, having to lift this bike more than 3 times in 1/2 hour is reason enough to avoid dropping it at all, lest you not be able to pick it up.

Maybe a few more cons;
-Once it starts to fall over, it's going over
-they could have at least put some grab handles on the thing for when it does go over.
-It comes with a 7.6 liter tank. If you're going to sell a bike with a tank that small, at least Yamaha could be smart about it and sell aftermarket tanks.
-snail type chain adjustors are really simple to use, this bike has the stupid locknut and bolt, which makes switching between wheels take longer than it should
-mine seems bereft of strong character and almost appliance like (this could be a pro as well)
-rev limiter seems to kick in pretty low (10,500rpm or so)
-gauges are pretty boring with no tach
-the speedo is out about 7%, the odo about 5%. This is from a company whose logo is 3 tuning forks, which to me means precision. They wouldn't sell a guitar that was constantly out of tune

Some more pros
-quite fast for a 250, if you wind it out (140km/h 2 way average)
-great seating position
-good mileage if ridden sanely
-fun to ride
-really fun with 17" wheels
-capable for ADV touring/ 2up riding

Last edited:

LordEndo

Staff member
Alright....you guys are forcing me to 'weigh' in on the WR....

I have to correct my own post now..... I was going to say that it's not 40 lbs extra, but I see the dry weight of the 350EXC is 235lbs, so probably 255lbs wet. That's 45lbs lighter than the WRR!

I reduced the weight of my WR to 185lbs with all of the protection and farkels installed.

Pro
- can kit it out to be a decent ADV bike, or a trail slayer
- cheap to buy new
- always starts....(love watching you Beta and KTM guys barely getting your bikes started)

Con
- takes a couple grand, probably closer to three to turn it into a trail slayer.....

Last edited:

woofer2609

1994-2007 Yamaha XT 225

Pros:
-it's a pack mule; carries enough equipment to homebrew 46 liters of beer…anywhere, or 2 up camping, or….
-seems that owners manual states that apart from brake fluid and gas, 10W30 can be used for almost everything else; chainlube, air filter element, engine oil
-lower seat height
-torque
-heavy flywheel combined with low RPM torque just tractors the bike along
-Cheap to buy
-Cheap to insure
-extremely wide ratio 6 speed
-stock gearing is perfect
-cruises all day at 90-95km/h
-the graphics
-adequate fuel storage (9.2 liters)
-good fuel economy (3.3 l/100k-5liters/100km's if you flog it off road)
-good beginner bike
-rear shock adjustability
-people wave and smile at you
-lots of aftermarket parts
-two up is comfy
-if it resembles gasoline, it'll burn it
-can install a kickstarter
-tires and driveline last FOREVER
-skid plate is standard issue
-most things can be fixed with a paperclip and a crescent wrench
-not TOO slow
-chix diggit

The Cons:
-zero adjustability in too soft front forks
-slow
-the graphics
-slippery seat leads to Supermans
-not going to win any style contests
-not the cleanest burning bike (if that's your thing)
-b!tch to start if it sits for over 10 days
-charging system in the 2000 and previous model year is weak
-headlight is pretty anemic
-rather low ground clearance
-riding position gets uncomfortable after about 400'km's
-poor rear brake modulation (drum)

Sylvain is responsible for the mudbath that is the first photo:p

Last edited:

woofer2609

Care full there, they have spindly spokes...
Good point. Some years/owners have reported breaking spokes often. Almost 50,000 km's later, I've never even had a loose spoke, even 2-up with luggage. You can fit ttr 225 and xt350 wheels to the bike for an inexpensive second set of wheels. These wheels have thicker gauge spokes.

cactusreid

the mighty ktm 525 exc is a /the contender as well!
i'll tap 04 klr /wayne for photos,as i'm a putor nerd,with no time to learn this stuff!
pro's-the fastest and best 4 stroke you will ever need!
damn good suspension,if you spring it and valve it a bit to your specs, or just ride the damn thing as is.
you can single track it on the toughest snarliest single track, or spank almost everything out there (street bikes included here) with the same 14/50 gear set from 1 kmh all the way to a buck sixty one ( on my gps in baja/no rules dude/ on an un opened piece of highway a couple of years back)
change the oil a bit more regular than your tractor or lawnmower,set the valves a couple or once a year, buy tires as you need them, which is a bit more often than the smaller displacement bikes that have been previously mentioned in this thread
and spend the rest of the day,trying to wipe that shit ass grin off your face when you crack and hold it on for more than 1.5 seconds flat!

cons,well it does cost more than a crf 230l to insure for the season.
your tire budget will need to be adjusted, upwards of course.
you will need a hankie with you to wipe the drool off of your chin and the tears that have got pressure washed back into your ears when your on it.
they are hard to find,as the word is getting out on these bikes
2007 is the only year the 525exc was street legal from the factory just like a klr is!

04klr

your wish is my command,,

I give you Reid's fully Baja prepped large tanked KTM 525 EXC, not at it's best mind you but none the less a damn good bike and he's a damn good rider!

there is one peculiar habit with the awesome KTM525EXCRFS dual sport bike and that is,, if you happen to come around a corner and there's a KTM sleeping there in the shade, your bike will simply fall over. It's some sorta Austrian thing.
picture an exasperated AHnie schwarzanegger shouting "Shade! ve must lahy down in da shade ve must lei dowwwn,," and the bike stops.

hope these pics help Cactus.
Just tryin to help.

(note, that the sleeping bike has an HT oil cooler adding over 500cc of oil for a capacity equalling or exceeding the capacity of most dual sports, for added "pro" points.)

Last edited: