Stupid girl question re dr650 starting

pittiepride

So this is probably a stupid question, but oh well. My husband just bought a 1992 dr650 and I would love to ride it, the problem is, i'm really not up to the kickstarting part. Is there any way you can get an electric start put on?

The bike is a bit picky on starting right now so it's going in for valve adjustments, carb rebuild, tune-up, that should help with the starting, but I do not want to be stuck on the side of the road after stalling my bike, not being able to get it started.

Kara

joker650

imported post

imported post

I don't think an e-start is available for that bike.

Practise..practise...practise.

Get the hang of the "Kicker":tup:

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

650 Kick start:hr: I had one of these monsters, and if you mess with the starting procedure you get to do extra time with the kick starter.

On my old DR it was simple

Rule One.......Never Never Ever twist the throttle when starting, this will equate to 5 extra kicks minimum, not wimpy roll the engine over kick but real starting type kicks, you know the ones that make you sweat.

When the engine was cold you must use the choke.

If the bike has fallen over and stalled, get your buddy to help pick it up then expect at least 10 real kicks before it starts again. Do not touch the throttle extra 10 kick penalty. Now your going to be tired.

When riding in altitude, above 4000 feet. you can expect the bike to be difficult to start. So be extra careful because you run out of energy real fast a 6000+ feet.

Always choose you stopping area, make sure you have a downhill to jump start the bike. A 650 has a pretty big slug in it to move so 3rd gear would be the choice for jump starting.

I bought a electric start Dr 650 in 98 and never looked back

Tom T

pittiepride

imported post

imported post

I suspect this bike will not last long here...my husband is not a big guy and I don't have patience for such things, kind of ruins the view.We'll see. May have to sell it and buy a newer e-start bike.

kara

1992 dr650s

I just bought a 1992 dr650s for 450$ it has compression spark and putted a new carb on it but it doesn't want to start and I don't know what it can be

Rustic

DSBC President / BCORMA Treasurer
Staff member
Hello. I have a 92 kickstart as well as a 2006 and a 2018. My 92 started to fail due to the ignition signal resistor. There is a resistor in the
Ignition that signals the CDI to fire innthe correct timing. If it is bypasses (hotwired) or fails the bike will have spark but it won't be timed properly. Where are you located?

tomcycle

Staff member
pull the decompression lever, it will click or stay in the pulled position
Slowly kick the engine over until the decompression lever clicks or releases
Now its time to give the bike a full kick to get it started, dont forget the choke

tomcycle

Staff member
There is a intake tube for the air box, make sure that is not blocked by the seat

Rustic

DSBC President / BCORMA Treasurer
Staff member
I’m located in Houston but we’re is that resistor located
Tom has the starting procedure down.

If you were close I was going to offer to try and swap CDI and check that but you live in the land of giant fishing rods and that's too far;)

The resistor is in the ignition barrel, test by disconnecting the CDI harness and test voltage on the connector pin for the orange wire coming from the ignition switch barrel. It should be sub 12v, can't remember exact voltage will have to dig that up. Now so Erin's it is not the resistor itself that's the issue sometimes its the contact innthe switch barrel..... flood the switch with contact cleaner, let soak, operate key back and forth and then blow out. Check voltage again.

This is a known problem on all years of suzuki DR from 88 (600) to 2021 (650)

This may not be your problem but the symptoms match spark, fuel, compression.

Post back what you find.