Sunday Nov 7th - Chipmunk Creek trail work

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Once you see the video, you will see that we are all nuts.

The weather looked like it was going to be spectacular, we rode to the top of the trail that the GVMC were re opening "Fly Zone" A nice layer of fresh snow and some blue sky. Perfect weather for trail building with my work vest, well it didnt take long before the snow started falling and I left all my wet weather gear in the bus. Hard work kept us all warm.

I cant remember the numbers but I think we ended up with about 14 guys and 4 chainsaws. We made some short work of a lot of grown in trail. The trail has been make nice and wide (enough for a quad) so you can see the line that you will be riding. As for Dual Sport riding I would recommend for now that you ride this trail down with a 650cc or under (not and adventure route unless you want a real adventure) bike and I would rate it as a B loop. A good trail to improve your skils without killing yourself, ez in and ez out. You might see this on the spring Noob ride. When we get the GPS information we will post it

Tom

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
Thanks to all (10 of you?) for coming out yesterday to experience 3 seasons at once in the mountains.

We got a surprising amount of work done in a short time period - the magic of having 15+ workers, five chainsaws, axes & a full bag of sandwiches!

That will be a very nice d/s route for us to use in the future. Our GVMC friends really appreciate us showing up in numbers to help.

Mark

tomcycle

Staff member
Here I got some information for anyone that interested

I am having some problems with uploading the gps file someone must be able to do it

The Yellow is ez wide grade, OK for any bike or quad, the red is a little steeper, OK a lot steeper but we cleared it nicely and it will be in good shape for next year. If the weather holds and we dont get any snow maybe we should ride this next week

Tom

Attachments

• Fly Zone.jpg
    Fly Zone.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Fly Zone.kmz
    1.3 KB · Views: 0

250ccforme

Only .kmz files are allowed to be uploaded. SO: no .gpx nor .gdb allowed. I downloaded the KMZ just fine and opened it in Google Earth. It's just the red line, right?

tomcycle

Staff member
Only .kmz files are allowed to be uploaded. SO: no .gpx nor .gdb allowed. I downloaded the KMZ just fine and opened it in Google Earth. It's just the red line, right?

The red line is the actual trail, we opened it up to a good 6-8 feet wide. I rode this trail when I first started DS riding with my kick start DR650 it in much better shape now then it was then. The yellow line is the route we used to get there, and old forestry grade that had grown in that you couldnt even walk it. The GVMC has done a great Job clearing that.

250ccforme

Did the PAN and TILT thing in Google Earth; gives the impression of steep. Is it rideable both ways or recommended as down only?

tomcycle

Staff member
Its steep going up and still a lot of leaves and dead undergrowth, so it slippery. A couple of guys have already riden it an had little problem. You have to remember they rode it just after it was cleared and was snowing. It will be a two way trail next year.

TT

Ti welder

The red line is the actual trail, we opened it up to a good 6-8 feet wide. I rode this trail when I first started DS riding with my kick start DR650 it in much better shape now then it was then. The yellow line is the route we used to get there, and old forestry grade that had grown in that you couldnt even walk it. The GVMC has done a great Job clearing that.

Like tom says "we cleared it 6-8 feet wide". It is no problem uphill, Just stay out of the rut. If you can't, ride downhill before the rut ens up being 4 feet deep.