Team Grizzly's Dualsport Riding Seminar.April 23rd

teamgrizzly

Team Grizzly is putting on a dualsport riding seminar on Saturday, April 23rd at noon <note, new start time> at the Chipmunk Creek gravel pit. We plan on teaching until lunch then going for a trail ride around the mountain.

The aim here to impart our vast wisdom and riding knowledge upon all those that seek it. It is not a tight, nasty single track thrash, that Rocket Kinneard would let you believe. :) We will be focusing on teaching skills that will help you keep your bike upright in the rough stuff.

It's open to everyone, regardless of skill and off-road saddletime. It's informal and free. (But if anyone feels the need to repay us you can come out the next day for our "trail clean up day" on the 24th. These is no obligation to do so though.)

So if anyone is interested, please sign on here. I would like to know what kind of bike do you ride and how much experience you have riding off-road? Also if you have anything you would like to bring up, please post it here.

NOTE: Since our training course is off-road trail and gravel roads, there is no need for insurance on your bikes so you can truck them up to Chipmunk and park at the gravel pit.

Also if enough people are interested we could put a second seminiar on in the summer after our race.

Your instructors:
Keith Furgason
PNWMA Expert Under - DT200
Rocke Kinneard
PNWMA Intermediate Open - CRF450X
Mike Fodor
PNWMA Junior Open - DRZ400E
Derek Sylvester
PNWMA Junior Open - KTM-300EXC

Esteemed Guest Instructor
Tom Timmerman

Attendees:
Opium Stu - DRZ400S
Hawk & Son - DRZ400S
Bugsinteeth - DRZ400S
Starbucks
Dirtynoob - DRZ400S & CRF
Newrider - DR-650
Fizzyfish - DR-350
Baxter650 - XR650L
BCRider - DR-350
Dirtycriter - KLR650
Mess - XR650
JohnKay - DRZ400
(With all these DRZ's we should get sponsored by Suzuki)

Directions to the Chipunk Creek Gravel pit:
(If you're coming from points west of Abbotsford) Travel east on Hwy 1 and turn off the exit to Yarrow. Follow the signs to Yarrow. This is a good place to stock up on snacks and gas. Continue east, past the turn off for Cultus Lake. Cross the big steel bridge that crosses the Chilliwack River. Turn right immediately after the bridge and drive up the valley along the main road for about 26km. After passing the Ford Mtn. Correction Center and the subsequent bridge, turn left onto the Chilliwack Foley Lake Forest Service Road. Follow the road until you cross another bridg, Turn left immediately after the bridge and follow the road until the next intersection. There you turn right and the gravel pit is right at the intersection.

(If your coming from points east of Chilliwack)
Turn off Hwy 1 at the exit to Chilliwack & Sardis. Head south through Sardis, stopping for gas and munchies. Turn left at the intersection before the big steel bridge. The ride up the valley along the main road for about 26km. After passing the Ford Mtn. Correction Center and the subsequent bridge, turn left onto the Chilliwack Foley Lake Forest Service Road. Follow the road until you cross another bridge, Turn left immediately after the bridge and follow the road until the next intersection. There you turn right and the gravel pit is right at the intersection.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

I,m in, moral support and maybe help out:mb: spotting.:spl:

Here is a chance for you newer riders to learn from some pros, this normally only comes with a heavy price tag attached, so don't miss out. Two thumbs up teamgrizzly:tup::tup:

See you all there

Tom Timmerman

Bugsinteeth

imported post

imported post

Hi Rocky and Team Griz,

I'll be there and thanks for putting this on. Two years offroad, DRZ .

Paul. N

hawk

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

imported post

I'm in. At least one son is coming as well.

Hawk

hawk

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Oops Hawk ridingDRZ400S's 1 1/2 years back in the saddle after 20 years out. Ryan, DRZ400S, 1 1/2 years riding.

Hawk

O

Opium

imported post

imported post

I'll be there with my new drz400s. My buddy wants to come to with his wr450. Put me down as a C rider with about 2 years experience, and most of that is on road.

Opium Stu

DIRTYNOOB

imported post

imported post

i'll be there also with my son. i have a drz400s, the kid is on a crf100. he's been riding for a year now, as fer me, ive been street riding since 1983, and dirt riding for lil over a year now, but i feel comfortable riding the zuki offroad. always willing to learn a few more tips.:hb:

bmw rocke

imported post

imported post

I just rode my 450x at chipmunk last weekend. I have put together an AAA+++ section if we have any hero's come out;). Seriously though we have some short trails in mind as well as using the gravel pit for hill climbs and downhill practice. I think we will cover log crossing with a 300+ pound bike also. We will focus on single track trails but also have many really easy roads for the total novice riders. We will split into groups so people will be comfortable and not intimidated. The aim here is to have fun and all learn some skills to make the rest of the dual sport riding year more fun and less intimidating. I hope to see a good turn out. See you all on the 23rd.ROCKE

N

newrider

imported post

imported post

I'm in log crossing on a heavy bike is very hard. I would say a valuable skill..

I ride a dr 650

F

FizzyFish

imported post

imported post

I'm in. I ride a DR350 and have only ridden off road twice and they were newbie rides (logging roads and somedirt tracks in the bush)so I don't really have much skill at this at all.

Where exactly is Chipmunk Creek gravel pit?

Thanks!

B

BCRider

imported post

imported post

I'd like to come along as well. I've got some trials riding time from back in the early 70's but that was the last time I was on dirt until I got the DR350 last fall.

D

dirtycriter

imported post

imported post

To: Team Grizzly;

Drittycriteris planning on attending, I have just purchased a 96- 650 KLR.This is my 2nd KLR, The 1st one I rode on a tour of BC, Yukon and Alaska, ridingold mining roads, pipeline right of ways and some trails(some successfully). That bike I sold 4 yrs ago, It would be great to learn some proper technics, holding on by clenched butt checks is tiring. I do have to leave by 3pm to honour other commitments.

Regards; Dirtycriter

J

johnkay

imported post

imported post

I will attend with Suzuki DRZ400S. I have a few hours experience on forestry roads.

Johnkay

John Kirkbride, North Vancouver.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

I will be riding to the Chipmunk Creek area on Saturday Morning. I will be leaving Western Powersports at 09:30, I know it will put us just after 10:30 at the gravel pit but I have to go to Western first, if anyone else want to ride with me just post here using the Quote.

TT

bmw rocke

imported post

imported post

Hey Tom. I will be at western in the am also. If Mike wants to be at the gravel pit for 9 good for him.:pI will be there at about 11:00. I think we are changing the start time to 11:30 to accommodate the Western powersports event. ROCKE

T

tonks

imported post

imported post

love to learn for the pro's, know the area fairly well,from atv-ing. Just bad timming,maybe if there is a summer seminar???

OH ya, drz 400s(yes add to the list ) did'nt know they were so popular,( C- rider?)

JavaJude

Super Moderator
imported post

imported post

I'm in. Thanks for moving the start time to noon (does that work out better for you Starbucks???? . . . . no excuse for not being there buddy . . . :p).

-Judy- DR350