THE DEAD ZONE DUALSPORT RIDE: SATURDAY JULY 1, 2006

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
[align=center]The Dead Zone Dual Sport Ride
4th Annual
Saturday July 1/06
Only $30.00 Rider
[/align]

[align=center](collectible) T-Shirts for the (pre-paid) riders on the list below[/align]

[align=left]Onion Lake BC Spring Camp Km 4.5 on the Lauwissin FSR
Just 20 km North of Lytton Hwy 12 then 4.5 km of gravel
Room for your truck and trailer
[/align]

[align=center]http://www.thestore.dualsportbc.com[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]This year we have2 primary loops suitable for all levels of riders
[/align]

[align=left]B Loop: Lots of two track and some single track, you will scratch your bike!Intended for DRZ/KLX's; nothing bigger than a DR/XR650 unless your name is Sheldon.[/align]

• [align=left]This route is for seasoned Dual Sporters only. Single track and hard 4X4 roads. You guys know who you are, if you're not sure what kind of a rider you are do the C loop; you will still get some harder options, I guarantee you will enjoy your ride.[/align]

• [align=left]Many of us were humbled by the mud track heading up Cornwall last year. Good Times![/align]

• [align=left]We intend to have a few "A" splits for the nutters, and perhaps Ted or ??? will guide a few of you through something gnarlly, but my own lack of skillz precludes charting an actual A Loop.[/align]
[align=left]C Loop: All gravel roads all the time; Ok for the big bikes and riders new to Dual Sport. There will be a few options for those wishing to adventure / challenge themselves. [/align]

• [align=left]Don't worry if your bike is too big or too small, or if you are inexperienced, old&frail, etc. This is a fun loop and you will have a great day! [/align]

• [align=left]You will ride roads you have never been on before, you will get lost and turned around then be amazed at where you come out. Don't worry though the entire route is ribboned so you won't be lost for long...[/align]

• [align=left]You will see lots of wildlife:Deer, Wild Horses, Bears, Eagles, and possibly fish. You will be riding lots of range land so you can practice weaving in and out with the Slow Cattle.[/align]

• [align=left]About 297 kms total with 90 kms of pavement, we have "Bail Outs" so if you've had enough you can take the pavement back to camp.[/align]
[align=left]EZ and scenic riding (much of the route is over 4000') forDR200s, Beemers, 950s, Elefants, VStromsand KLRs

[/align]

[align=center]Wilderness (primitive) Camping Available at Onion Lake Spring Camp.[/align]

[align=center]We will be leaving our trucks here, room for your campers and pit toilets[/align]

[align=center]****This area is 10 kms from the main "MonkeyWrench" start area****[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]Motels available in Lytton (Totem Motel) only 25 Kms away less than 20 min ride.[/align]

[align=left]Roll charts recommended
All bikes must be licenced & insured- we will be riding on some pavement. Please keep them quiet around the public / ranchers!
BBQ at end of the ride is included in your entry fee.[/align]

[align=left]Lunch stops (your cost) will be charted for Cache Creek / Ashcroft.
Remember to bring your own tools, flat tire repair kit and water.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[/align]

[align=left]List of Dead Headz:[/align]

[align=left]We need to determine how many riders to expect on the Dead Zone this year. We had 59 participants last year, and 15 of them missed the cut-off forshirts.[/align]

[align=left]It takes a lot of time and up-front money to get these rides organised, and have things ready for us when we arrive. If you could email me ([email protected])mailto:[email protected])with your name ,T-shirt size and bike, I will include you on the expected Dead Headz. We plan to havea T Shirt for this ride, but need at least 25 participants before spending the money. Also we would like to know if you plan on camping at the start (same site as 2005, we are at 4.5km on the Laluweesen FSR).
[/align]

[align=left]We will take your money at the event, but cannot guarantee a t-shirt (or burger) for you under such circumstances. Therefore, we ask that you PLEASE PREPAY, this can easily be accomplished through the DualSport Store.[/align]

[align=left]
[line]
[/align]

skidmark43

imported post

imported post

List Updated June 28 / 2006

1. Mark Gray Bxl * DRZ400 campingpaid
  2. Tom Timmerman B xxl* DRZ400 camping paid
  3. Lars Ohlsson B xl* KLR650 camping paid
  4. Sharon Rambo Cxxl* DR200 campingpaid
  5. Colin Morgan B large* DRZ400camping paid
  6. Lee Johns B xl* KLR650 camping paid
  7. Mike Reynen Blarge* DR650 camping paid
  8. Guy Rodrigue B large* DRZ400 camping paid
  9. Matt Murnaghan B xl* KLR650 camping paid
  10. Mike England B xl* KLR650 camping paid
  11. Neil Hawkings B xxxl* DRZ400 hotelpaid
  12. Ted Blow B large* DRZ400 camping paid
  13. Vince Baxter B xl* xr650hotel paid
  14. Wes Jamison B xl* DRZ400 camping paid
  15. AlfonzHamori C xl* KLR650 hotel paid
  16. Dave Kuz B xl* KLR650 campingpaid
  17. John Wyndham C xl*KLR650 paid
  18. Dan Stinn B large* KLX250 paid
  19. Ian Banbury BC large* KTM950hotel paid
  20. Don Duquemin C med* DL1000 hotelpaid
  21. Alex Banbury BCmed* DRZ400 hotelpaid
  22. Ken Good B xl* xl350 hotelpaid
  23. Bud Coles Clarge* 650GS paid
  24. Dwayne MacLeod B large* KLR650paid
  25. Paul Nicholson B large* DRZ400campingpaid
  26. Andy Fines B large KLR650 campingpaid
  27. Christian L'Hospital B large* XT350 paid
  28. Andy Jackman B xxl xr650
  29. Dick HallB xxl* KLR650camping paid
  30. Scott Mitrenga Blarge* KLR650 paid
  31. Dale Robert B med* DRZ400 paid
  32. John Van Leeuwen B large* DRZ400 paid
  33. Hans Weiss C xl*XT250 camping paid
  34. Dwayne Weiss B xxl* xr650 camping paid
  35. Pam Elliott C med*KLR650 camping paid
  36. Scott Young C large * KTM640 camping paid
  37. Mike Holmquist Bxxxl* xr650r camping paid
  38. Jeff Starkenburg B xl* KTM525 camping paid
  39. Mike PerrierB large
  40. Brent Nixon B xl
  41. Glenn Nixon B large
  42. Kyle Norris B xl*DRZ400 paid
  43. Brian McDougallB/C xxl* HP2 paid
  44. Al FarkasB/C med* KL250 paid
  45. Dave Lock Clarge DRZ400
  46. Shawn Gonos C xl KLX400
  47. Tim Reeve Bmed* xr400 paid
  48. Debbie Baronit C xl*650GS paid
  49. Len Baronit C xxxl* KTM950 paid
  50. David Williams B L or xl KTM640camping
  51. Trevor DumoreB largeWR450 paid
  52. Paul Picco C xl* KLR650 paid
  53. Bill Hamilton B/Clarge* KLR650 paid
  54. Terry BurkeB xxl* KTM950 paid
  55. George Szefer Cxl* DR650 camping paid
  56. Brian Liesemer C large* GS1200 paid
  57. Ed Collett Blarge DRZ400 paid
  58. Victor Sanchez C large KLR650 camping paid
  59. Peter WarmerdamBxl DRZ400
  60. Dave Chow B xl DRZ400
  61. Max Yanke C large KLR650 paid
  62. Rocke KinneardAA xlCRF450x camping
That'sit forpre-reg... thanks for cooperating & we'll see y'all upthere!

skidmark43

imported post

imported post

[align=center]Our list of 2006 $pon$or$:[/align]

Holeshot Racing of Langley

holeshotracing.ca - Aprilia, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM & Suzuki

S&V Motorcycle World of Surrey

motorcycleworld.ca - Suzuki

Western Powersports of Langley

westernpowersports.com - Yamaha, Triumph & Eton

Northstar Motosport

northstarmotosport.com - (non-retail distributor)
Acerbis,Clarke,CZ, Devol, Gold-Fren, K&S, Maxima, No-Toil, SDG,
Mitas, etc.

[align=center]ebay does not support rides, riders or clubs! [/align]

[align=center]Please support these local businesses who are supporting us![/align]

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Warning June 5/06

I had posted last years route sheets and many of you may have downloaded them.

DO NOT use them if you plan to ride alone.

These have some big errors on them and this years route is not exactly the same as last years.

The new route sheets will be posted 1 week before the ride and available to anyone who has signed up.

Tom T

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

duall wrote:
i see most people are riding the b-loop, even with klr's ?????

The B loop is a challenging route for any dualsport bike, but you will need some off road riding skills, especially with a heavy bike like a KLR or any 650 DS Bike. If I owned a GS or KTM 950 I would consider the B loop, I can assure you that it will be dropped at least twice. No V-stroms or any bike with street type tires

The C loop has its own challenges, its long, its got a few hazards that will require some of you to find assistance. The C loop has several "Bail Outs" if you have had enough fun and want to get to the pavement.

If the weather is wet, both route move up a notch the B=A and the C=B. If it rains the entire route becomes a snot bowl, goo everywhere. Ask anyone who was at last years DZ.

If you are not sure do the C route, or come up a day early on Friday and I will send you down part of the B loop and you can tell me.:mad3:

Skidmark any thoughts??????

TT

duall

imported post

imported post

(If the weather is wet, both route move up a notch the B=A and the C=B. If it rains the entire route becomes a snot bowl, goo everywhere. Ask anyone who was at last years DZ.)

true, I did the c-loop last year, it was definetly challanging, but a lot of fun.

we'll see you in a couple weeks :dr:

skidmark43

imported post

imported post

dickster wrote:
If you are fairly confident / competant you should target the B-loop. You can always change your mind. Beware of the nay sayers, last year a few people had almost convinced me not to take my KLR on the B-loop. I ended up listening to the people who encouraged me to try the B-loop even with my warn 50/50 tires and had a blast.

The 'nay sayers'are the oneswho don't want to admit that they should of bought a KLR instead.

That being said, I hope I don't have too eat my words. At leastI have some decenttires this year even if we don't get any:ss:.

Cheers:hb:
You've made good points Dick.

Rather than being 'naysayers', as hosts we want everyone to have a good time & not beat themselves or their bikes up beyond expectations. We all have a different concept of what 'dualsport' means.

When a rider gets in 'over their head' - whether due to experience / skill / fitness / trail conditions / weather / bald or crappy tires - their safety is suddenly at risk. Such situations also tend to create negative experiences for other riders, and we risk losing that rider to our sport / events alltogether.

Nevertheless, many of you continue to demonstratewith your KLRs and/or TrailWings whata lousy rider I am.:D

Now back to "Dead Zone" discussion:

H

headdamage

imported post

imported post

Is there required safety gear needed? Right now I'm new to the sport and just have a helmet, other than that I wear work boots, gloves, carhart pants, etc...

skidmark43

imported post

imported post

Hi & welcome.

It looks like you're well outfitted; there is no requirement beyond what you've listed, and in fact you will see many others at the event with similar gear.

Thanks for your question; we look forward to your participation.

R

radvocaat

imported post

imported post

headdamage wrote:
Is there required safety gear needed? Right now I'm new to the sport and just have a helmet, other than that I wear work boots, gloves, carhart pants, etc...

At the very least, I always recommend a pair of MX boots, if you can afford them. We just completed a 1100 km DS rip through some very nasty stuff, and the only injury was a sprained ankle, by the only guy NOT wearing MX boots. Any knee/elbow pads will save you too, even your hockey stuff, or mountian biking stuff. Check out second hand sport stores maybe.Sometimes I even wear my cooperalls girdle under my pants. If you plan on challenging yourself, thenscrape together as much saftey gear as you can. Personally, if im not flying off my bike at some point throughout a ride in the trails, then im not pushing myself. You'll work yourself, but will learn to be a much better rider as a result! Bark busters are your freind!!!!!

Just my opinion!!!

Great riding in Lytton, have fun!!!

Attachments

• 2004_0305day10009 (Custom).JPG
    2004_0305day10009 (Custom).JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 0

skidmark43

imported post

imported post

scharfg wrote:
Hey there, here are a couple of questions from a dual sport newbie...

1) What time does the ride start on Saturday?
Check-in at 07:15, Riders Meeting at 07:30, Last Rider Out of Camp by 08:00

2) Does it start from the Onion Lake Campground?
"Spring Camp" - 4.5km up Lauwissin / 10km South of main Monkey Wrench area

3) Where does the route C ride end up (back at the Onion Lake Campground or...)?
Returns to Camp.

4) Where is the BBQ?
Ditto.

5) Are there approx. times to do route C so we can plan theday?
The routing intend that you'll be finished your lunch (in Cache Creek) and back in the saddle by 13:00 at the latest.

6) Is there a rough time to start the BBQ?
Not really... Not before 16:00.

7) If the ride starts at the Onion Lake Campground and finishes there for the BBQ and if we camp there the night before can we leave our tents set up or should we pack them up for the ride and then set them up again for Saturday night?
Historically we have always left camp set-up; without incident.
Sorry if I missed any of these answers from the poster/discussions.....
All great questions...

Take care and I hope to see ya'll there....
Likewise.

S

Shawndude

imported post

imported post

Where can one buy a roll chart holder locally (Surrey/Langley)? Do I really need one for this ride?

Does a GPS unit help at all (since I already have one)?

It's my firstouting of this kind, so sorry if these are silly questions. Thank you and looking forward to it.

TG6

imported post

imported post

No such thing as silly questions... only silly mistakes made by those afraid to ask... I don't have a roll chart and Tom was good enough to have the route sheet available in the 8x11 size, last year.. Put it in my tank bag as was good to go... if you don't havea tank bag, some plastic page covers and tape will work as well...

Rambocycle

imported post

imported post

Agent Orange wrote:
I'm going to be camping up at the Monkey Wrench site , does anyone know if there are outhouses up there or is it a B.Y.O.T. ( bring your own toilet ) :shock:

Any snow in the forecastthis year ? :shoot:

Yea there are pit toilets on the hill,North of the road and between thestart and the camping area. Not sure if they are going to bring extras. The toilets are typically clean, but that will depend on the number of people they are going to have this year.

Bring toilet paper, its been my experience that people think this stuff appears on its own.:hr:

Remember water too, there is no drinking water there.

SNOW:shock:didn't you get enough of that last year:wi:

No snow for this year, we are going to replace it with SUN:ss:and DUST:?, bring your bandanna and water.

Tom T

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

Long Range Weather Report For Lytton Area

Looks like perfect riding weather

Attachments

• lytton weather.jpg
    lytton weather.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

The Dead Zone Route Sheets are ready for download now

Check your Email for a password then follow the links from

[url]http://www.dualsportbc.com[/url]

The route sheets are formated for legal sized paper so make sure you have that and when you go to print check your print setup.

If you have specific questions about the route sheets only

you can email me at [email protected]

The passwords are only available to on line pre registered riders, check the top of this thread to see if you are paid before asking any questions.

If you have questions regardingyour status or any other questions not related to the route sheets email [email protected](don't pm him - technical difficulties!)

Thanks Tom T

tomcycle

Staff member
imported post

imported post

FYI

Myself and others will be heading up to Onion Lake Spring Camp area prior to the Dead Zone on Thursday, Got lots of stuff to prepare for the ride. Anyone that wants to join us is welcome.

Also we are staying Sunday after the Dead Zone, more riding. Also looking for new routes for next year.

Tom T

Gnarly Dave

I'm a DSBC sponsor. Please thank me with your busi
imported post

imported post

OK.. just registered.. My first dual sport ride. I hope to ride the dual sport event then win the race the next day. :shock:Just kiddin.. I just hope the dual sport doesn't kill my a$$ too much.

See you this weekend

Dave

Gnarly Dave

I'm a DSBC sponsor. Please thank me with your busi
imported post

imported post

Do you think I need to change my tires on my DRZ400. I have more street tires then dirt. How hard is the A/B course. Anyone that knows me, knows I hate changing tires.

Dave

skidmark43

imported post

imported post

Gnarly Dave wrote:
Do you think I need to change my tires on my DRZ400. I have more street tires then dirt. How hard is the A/B course. Anyone that knows me, knows I hate changing tires.

Dave
Obviously a trick-question from a member of TeamGrizzly............

The B route should be generally dry & loose. A decent rider on worn tires or Trailwings should do fine. An average rider with lousy tires (or on a KLR;)) will find the mud & water crossings challenging but do-able.

Iwould discourageyou from taking any of the A options with crappy tires (or a KLR).

Our route is 'dualsport' oriented, and no-where near the challenge of the MonkeyWrench race-course.