THE DEAD ZONE DUALSPORT RIDE: SATURDAY JULY 1, 2006

Roaddane

imported post

imported post

Hey all, I just downloaded the EZ loop and see that the first half of the ride is pretty much the same as last year, which is okay, I'll be able to enjoy the scenery more without the slick mud and rain covered goggles.

So I'm thinking that since this time I'll pretty much know where I'm going, in the morning that is, that I (we) should have enough time to do a side trip up to the Cornwall Hills Lookout if I (we) shorten our lunch break. I figure it would be a 30-40km loop, about 1-1.5 hours.

Tim or Mark should probably pipe up here whether they are okay with the idea. I believe the road up is decent, but is the only real way up or down which means that some bikes could be traveling upwhile some could be coming down, potential for a mishap.

It'll be a hot one this year, so pack plenty of water. Maybe a little skinny dipping is in order. And some ice cream at DQ will surely hit the spot.

Paul (Gold & Black Belstaff jacket)
KLR650

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
imported post

imported post

Gnarly Dave wrote:
You want to come over and change my tires?

Dave
Well if you're going to sweet-talk me like that, I'll be over a little after 9:00.

skidmark43

imported post

imported post

Roaddane wrote:
So I'm thinking that since this time I'll pretty much know where I'm going, in the morning that is, that I (we) should have enough time to do a side trip up to the Cornwall Hills Lookout if I (we) shorten our lunch break. I figure it would be a 30-40km loop, about 1-1.5 hours.

Tim or Mark should probably pipe up here whether they are okay with the idea. I believe the road up is decent, but is the only real way up or down which means that some bikes could be traveling upwhile some could be coming down, potential for a mishap.
Hi Paul.

We weren't going to send any C riders up Hat Creek to the Cornwall look-out. Even though we are expecting dry conditions, the road is badly rutted out and simply didn't seem suitable; remember that it is a 'dead end' and you will have to return to Hwy 1 rather than venture down Finney.

If, after lunch and the McLean Loop, you (and a buddy please) want to tack this onto your day, I say 'fill your boots' & have fun!

Mark

skidmark43

imported post

imported post

[align=center]Pre Registration will close on Tuesday, June 27th.[/align]

• [align=left]If you haven't yet registered or paid, then please do so with Mark or Tom at the campsite Friday night / Saturday morning.[/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left]Please bring correct change ($30.00).[/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left]We will have (limited quantities) beer for sale on-site. Bring small bills...[/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left]If you have time / are so inclined: [/align]

• [align=left]A decent breakfast can be had at the Lytton Hotel (across from RCMP)[/align]

• [align=left]Many of us will likely have dinner on Friday at the Jade Garden Restaurant (just North of Lytton on #1)[/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left]Tom & Mark will be going toLytton / Onion Lake on Thursday morning, and will be unreachable by cell, internet, etc.[/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left]We look forward to riding with you; this will be a great weekend![/align]
[align=left][/align]

hawk

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

imported post

What time does the Lyton Hotel open on Saturday morning? Last year nothing opened till 8:00am.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Roaddane wrote:
Hey all, I just downloaded the EZ loop and see that the first half of the ride is pretty much the same as last year, which is okay, I'll be able to enjoy the scenery more without the slick mud and rain covered goggles.

It'll be a hot one this year, so pack plenty of water. Maybe a little skinny dipping is in order. And some ice cream at DQ will surely hit the spot.

Paul (Gold & Black Belstaff jacket)
KLR650

The C loop is already long (250KM) but if you have a couple of guys that eat fast for lunch and get a jump start on the day, Go For It.

Do you guys need instructions?

I love you guys "NEVER SAY DIE":clap:

tt

T

tii737

imported post

imported post

I'm heading out Friday from Kelowna...anyone else?? Know of any good backroad routes? Douglas Lake, railway west of Merritt? See you there.

Brian L

okmike

imported post

imported post

I'm heading out Friday from Kelowna...anyone else?? Know of any good backroad routes? Douglas Lake, railway west of Merritt? See you there.

XLR8TD and I won't be able to get out of town until after 330pm so our route is going to be the connector to merritt then hwy 8 to spences bridge, etc. basically the full slab route. Hey but hwy 8 is a nice ride on any bike , esp when its +30C :ss: and you get to ride the DZ the next day :dr:

I know that rider #54 is thinking of taking some backcountry route on his KTM950 tomorrow and was looking for other DeadHeads, so you might try to hook up with Terry B. Not sure if he posts up on this site, so I'll pm you his phone #.

have a great ride over -- see ya there -- mike

Rambocycle

imported post

imported post

Per the organizers

registration online is now closed!

The organizers have all left the building. They are up at the campsite or the Hotel, so if you have any questions there is no one here to help you. If you want to register, you can do it at Onion Lake Spring Camp. on Friday per the previous information that was given.

[align=center]Pre Registration will close on Tuesday, June 27th.[/align]

• [align=left]If you haven't yet registered or paid, then please do so with Mark or Tom at the campsite Friday night / Saturday morning.[/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left]Please bring correct change ($30.00).[/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left]We will have (limited quantities) beer for sale on-site. Bring small bills...[/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left]A decent breakfast can be had at the Lytton Hotel (across from RCMP)[/align]

• [align=left]Many of us will likely have dinner on Friday at the Jade Garden Restaurant (just North of Lytton on #1)[/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left]Tom & Mark will be going toLytton / Onion Lake on Thursday morning, and will be unreachable by cell, internet, etc.[/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left][/align]

• [align=left]We look forward to riding with you; this will be a great weekend![/align]

Knuckle Dragger

imported post

imported post

Hey everyone, forum newb here. Hopefully someone is left watching this thread.
Turns out I now have the weekend free, and want to head up to the DZ. BUT I'm wondering about fuel, I have a stock xr650r(insured) -will I have enough with the stock tank to do the trip?Or are there fuel stops close enough for me(are there any fuel stops?) Also, I don't have charts (i know it says i should) or a gps, should I take a pass on events such as this until I get that stuff?

hawk

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Hi Knuckle,

How many Km's can you go on a tank? We have a lunch break in town so there is gas available there. I would say if you can go about 150km on a tank then come on up. If you're concerned then carry some extra gas. Route sheets will be available at the start up and instead of having them on a roll chart you can just put them in a tank bag and read them from there. I have used a large zip lock freezer bag and just taped it to my tank in the past. Loads of fun...

Knuckle Dragger

imported post

imported post

Hi Hawk, thanks for the reply. The bike is still fairly new to me , so I'm not sure how far I can go on a tank , and to make it more difficult I just put on a larger rear sprocket(I do think I was getting at least a 150 k with the 48 tooth though). And again because of the "newness" -no ability to carry extra fuel at the moment :(. I'm actually ill equipped to do this ride I think(in terms of recommended equipment to carry and gear,but I'll try to get as much as I can today before I leave , if I decide to go), but after seeing the pics of last year, I really don't want to miss it-looks awesome. Thanks for your help-I'm going to see if I can find any info on the web re: the stock range of the bike .

S

spam and eggs

imported post

imported post

I'm not a fella....

See you there...

SilverD

imported post

imported post

I want to give a big thank you to all the people that helped me out on saturday, and to the organizers as well!

From the folks at the mud hole that pushed/dragged/pulled my bike out,

skidmark43 wrote:
[align=left]C Loop: All gravel roads all the time; Ok for the big bikes and riders new to Dual Sport. There will be a few options for those wishing to adventure / challenge themselves. [/align]

Hmmm.. gotta see your dictionary there Mark :)

To the guys that waited for me to make sure I made it through theeach of the more challanging sections, thanks again to everyone..

Don

(thenewb with the VStrom)..