The facts on DS'ed "RUM" motorcycles from ICBC and DOT

bajaman

Called both ICBC and Motor vehicle inspector of B.C. to get the facts on "RUM" DS'ed motorcycles......here they are:
:ted:
ICBC Phone number:1-800-663-3051 :talk:

They don't care if the bike was a "RUM" as long as it passed inspection.

Motor vehicle inspector:passenger transport branch

Phone number:1-888-453-4280 :talk:

The problem is at the dealer inspection level,"RUM" bikes shouldn't be passed.:shock:

BUT...this is where it gets confusing-----new regs ARE coming out..BUT at the mc dealer inspection level....BUT no time table has been for this:tup:.

There are "NO" plans to give enforcement orders to DOT inspectors or to ICBC to pull current "RUM" bikes off the road now or in the future:tup::dr:.

The biggest worry they have with the bikes are fuel systems and the frame:shoot:.

There will be no grandfathering of current "RUM" bikes:X....but like I said before,they don't know when the regs are coming out and there biggest concern is at the mc dealer level not at the enforcement level:tup:.

So in closing all I can say is if you do want to convert your bike DO ITnow before the new regs come in at the mc dealer level.You could enjoy the ridefor 1 day or 20 years, everyone knows how the government "works" at the best of times:mi:.Looks like I will probably wear my bike out before the regs change anyways, if they do at all.

Anyways that's my rant for today it's :cf2:time...everyone have a great day :ss:in motorcycle land.

B

bark buster

imported post

imported post

Many, many thanks for your efforts Bajaman, it makes my buying decision easier.

Let's try and get together as the weather warms, I'm in Powell River and I'd like to get to the island more.

Cheers!

F

franhoser

imported post

imported post

Just note I spoke to ICBC about this too a while back and if you have a rum bike and passed inspection and you change something like not have DOT tires, take the horn off, put not compliant size signals (like the little LED one's), takemirrors off...etc and you get into an accident... your insurance is voided automatically. Much the same as a car that has bald tires or faulty brakes.

cactusreid

imported post

imported post

THKS BAJAMAN!I THINK THAT WILL PUT MOST OF US AT EASE.

I VOTE TO MAKE THIS INFO A 'STICKY" AS THIS PERTAINS TO MOST OF US HERE.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

I too thank you for putting in the effort to find out the bottom line:ted:

Tom

2Trider

imported post

imported post

Now that is refreshing...a government that has no intention of banning something:clap::clap::clap:

Quebec ..your toast

In Ontario if you had a converted bike you can still retaina street plate (for the bikes life) but is about impossible to get a street plate for a new offroad bike now.:mad3:

Ontario Insurance companies don't seem to care...they treat you as if you have a motorcycle licence and are going to ride on the street regardless(at least it seems that way) ...most do not do "offroad" only.

Nice to know a newKTM300 can be plated in BC with the extra doodads:):):tup:

bajaman

imported post

imported post

franhoser wrote:
Just note I spoke to ICBC about this too a while back and if you have a rum bike and passed inspection and you change something like not have DOT tires, take the horn off, put not compliant size signals (like the little LED one's), takemirrors off...etc and you get into an accident... your insurance is voided automatically. Much the same as a car that has bald tires or faulty brakes.
The dealer who inspected the 2 bikes we have took pics to cover there :mb:'s,after they did the inspection.

bajaman

imported post

imported post

bark buster wrote:
Let's try and get together as the weather warms, I'm in Powell River and I'd like to get to the island more.

Cheers!
Anytime ...:tup:

bajaman

imported post

imported post

I don't think I missedto muchwhen I talked to the fellow from DOT:talk:.The phone numbers are posted,so if anyone else has some question's and want to add to this topic...CALL THEM :talk:AND POST....my mom told me long ago that I couldn't be smart and good looking:cool:....so I probably didn't get all the important questions answered .BUT this is a start to end some of the guessing of what is and what could happen in the future with our bikes.

cheers

cactusreid

imported post

imported post

JUST TO GET IT STRAIGHT WITH THESE DEPARTMENTS,ANY CHANCE OF GETTING SOMETHING IN WRITING? HOW ABOUT DUALSPORT BC ASKING FOR THE RULES AND REGULATIONS??

bajaman

imported post

imported post

cactusreid wrote:
JUST TO GET IT STRAIGHT WITH THESE DEPARTMENTS,ANY CHANCE OF GETTING SOMETHING IN WRITING? HOW ABOUT DUALSPORT BC ASKING FOR THE RULES AND REGULATIONS??

I am satisfied that in the near furture I won't have any problems with them taking my bikes off the road.

Good idea to try to see if DSBC can have any luck getting some kind of time line from them on paper.Maybe if the gouverment knows that close to "3000" voters are not really happy,something could change.POWER TO THE PEOPLE.

Floored

imported post

imported post

bajaman wrote:
There will be no grandfathering of current "RUM" bikes:X....but like I said before,they don't know when the regs are coming out and there biggest concern is at the mc dealer level not at the enforcement level:tup:.
Sorry for being a little dense but.......do you mean here that the Plated RUM bikes will no longer be legal once the new regs come into place? Or do you mean that even though you have an older bike from before the new regs, you still won't be able to plate them?

06strom

imported post

imported post

From what I have read in this post, I can buy a RUM and get it equipped for the street. Then I will be able to ride it unless I get stopped by the police for some otherreason and they send me in for an inspection. In this case my bike will not pass the inspection and will have no resale value. And if I am involved in an accident ICBC may void my claim.

Or I can by a KTM or some other dual-sport (not a RUM) bike for about the same money and have none of these problems.

Tough choice. I think I will have to talk to a lawyer and an accountant to decide which makes to most sense.:tup:

bajaman

imported post

imported post

Floored wrote:
bajaman wrote:
Sorry for being a little dense but.......do you mean here that the Plated RUM bikes will no longer be legal once the new regs come into place? Or do you mean that even though you have an older bike from before the new regs, you still won't be able to plate them?
This was a bit confusing for me to understand too......I could be wrong but this is how I understood it from DOT.There are no enforcement orders to pull the "RUM" bikes of the road now or in the near future...this could change,this is the government we are dealing with.The main thing is there will be NO grey areas when the "NEW" regs are put in place with dealers who do the inspections.So dealers will not be passing"RUM"bikes in the future,no an's if's or but'sthey are doing now and getting away from it.....Right now there is no enforcement at the dealer level or the rider/bike level ,the fellow told me they is no time table for them to be put into place..said the dealers will get it first ...only time will tell...Didn't give me an answerabout the current inspected "RUM"bikes except they will not be grandfathered,but didn't state how they where going to deal with it..So keep ridingthat "RUM"bike until the "MAN"says different...I am.Hope this answers your question.

bajaman

imported post

imported post

06strom wrote:
From what I have read in this post, I can buy a RUM and get it equipped for the street. Then I will be able to ride it unless I get stopped by the police for some otherreason and they send me in for an inspection. In this case my bike will not pass the inspection and will have no resale value. And if I am involved in an accident ICBC may void my claim.

Or I can by a KTM or some other dual-sport (not a RUM) bike for about the same money and have none of these problems.

Tough choice. I think I will have to talk to a lawyer and an accountant to decide which makes to most sense.:tup:
I don't think I would buy a "RUM"bike now and put the kit on it.This really sucks for the people like myself who has bought 2 new "RUM" bikes and DS'ed them.I talked to ICBC,got one story,called DOT got another,I am going to call ICBC again on Monday,tell them I talked to DOT,they said my bike is illegal and shouldn't be on the road and see what they say...should be interesting...so if you don't have a "RUM" bike, buy a KTM or something legal....for myself and others it will be a wait and see thing.....could be running the logging roads with no insurance like the good old days soon.

Buckethead

imported post

imported post

franhoser wrote:
Just note I spoke to ICBC about this too a while back and if you have a rum bike and passed inspection and you change something like not have DOT tires, take the horn off, put not compliant size signals (like the little LED one's), take mirrors off...etc  and you get into an accident... your insurance is voided automatically.  Much the same as a car that has bald tires or faulty brakes.

I found a similar thing, and aftermarket plastic tanks generally fit this category as well and could also cause issues with your insurance.

Thanks Bajaman for your research and efforts to get thic clarified. It seems this still comes back to the same old story. You may get away with a RUM bike for an indefinite period of time, but if/when you do get caught it could really suck.

It's really too bad.

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Buckethead wrote:
franhoser wrote:

I found a similar thing, and aftermarket plastic tanks generally fit this category as well and could also cause issues with your insurance.

Thanks Bajaman for your research and efforts to get thic clarified. It seems this still comes back to the same old story. You may get away with a RUM bike for an indefinite period of time, but if/when you do get caught it could really suck.

It's really too bad.
This is an ICBC threat, I have heard thismany times before

They really have to have a reason to pull the non compliant card. Most of you do not have collision anyhow (big mistake) at worst they will put you at fault. I have been around bikes and cars all my life and only have never heard of any-ones insurance not covering them when in an accident.

With all the riders on this site there must be someone here who has had there claim denied because of their non compliant bike?????:mad3:

Lets hear your story:hr:

bajaman

imported post

imported post

tomcycle wrote:
Buckethead wrote:
franhoser wrote:

It's really too bad.
This is an ICBC threat, I have heard thismany times before

They really have to have a reason to pull the non compliant card. Most of you do not have collision anyhow (big mistake) at worst they will put you at fault. I have been around bikes and cars all my life and only have never heard of any-ones insurance not covering them when in an accident.

With all the riders on this site there must be someone here who has had there claim denied because of their non compliant bike?????:mad3:

Lets hear your story:hr:
You are right Tom,must be someone out there.....

sparklr

imported post

imported post

First of all, thanks to Bajaman for his time and effort.:tup: However, many questions remain unanswered, not a surprise that the MOT doesn't have specifics or are willing to share what MAY be upcoming and when. Perhaps they do have issue at the dealer inspection level, or the MOT isn't quite sure if they have the proper criteria to avoid liability. Now I hardly doubt that is the case.

Now for the suggested issues with fuel systems and frames. Frames, I can't think of one valid reason for frames to be an issue. Most (if any) RUMs aren't modified and are extremely crash worthy. If this became an issue, there would be more cause to pull alot of HDs off the streets. Fuel systems can only refer to plastic tanks, again I see no issue here either. Metal or plastic hardly matters in a collision that would cause leakage. Fuel tankers as well as those carrying hazardous materials are built to stringent standards, yet leakage occurs. As for the fuel system itself, there may be some environmental aspects that are being looked at. This I won't elaborate on, so as not to feed any ideas to unwelcome viewers and prematurely get RUMs yanked. There are other possibly overlooked RUM bike issues, again I refrain the discussion for the same reason as in the earlier sentence.

So with any new regulations, such as those that prove to be non-grandfatherable, will there be a remedial option that can be inspected and approved? For example my fab'd metal tank to replace the plastic outlawed one.

It amazes me that given the state of our countries economics and affairs, that there is so much time to relegate to attacking people that spend money and time on the outdoors. Maybe it is a wait and see scenario, perhaps decades. Can't the gas guzzling polluters be outlawed first?

bajaman

imported post

imported post

sparklr wrote:
First of all, thanks to Bajaman for his time and effort.:tup: However, many questions remain unanswered, not a surprise that the MOT doesn't have specifics or are willing to share what MAY be upcoming and when. Perhaps they do have issue at the dealer inspection level, or the MOT isn't quite sure if they have the proper criteria to avoid liability. Now I hardly doubt that is the case.

Now for the suggested issues with fuel systems and frames. Frames, I can't think of one valid reason for frames to be an issue. Most (if any) RUMs aren't modified and are extremely crash worthy. If this became an issue, there would be more cause to pull alot of HDs off the streets. Fuel systems can only refer to plastic tanks, again I see no issue here either. Metal or plastic hardly matters in a collision that would cause leakage. Fuel tankers as well as those carrying hazardous materials are built to stringent standards, yet leakage occurs. As for the fuel system itself, there may be some environmental aspects that are being looked at. This I won't elaborate on, so as not to feed any ideas to unwelcome viewers and prematurely get RUMs yanked. There are other possibly overlooked RUM bike issues, again I refrain the discussion for the same reason as in the earlier sentence.

So with any new regulations, such as those that prove to be non-grandfatherable, will there be a remedial option that can be inspected and approved? For example my fab'd metal tank to replace the plastic outlawed one.

It amazes me that given the state of our countries economics and affairs, that there is so much time to relegate to attacking people that spend money and time on the outdoors. Maybe it is a wait and see scenario, perhaps decades. Can't the gas guzzling polluters be outlawed first?

After thinking about the whole thing now for a few days now,I kinda thinking I am more confused about the whole issue about the "RUM"bikes more thanbefore making the calls.When the fellow told me that some of there main issues are with the fuel system and frame..what?????I'm not riding a chopper I made in the back yard...I have a bike that can jump and crash hard,without spilling fuel or breaking the frame....I just don't know.Like I stated in a past post, I'm calling ICBC on Monday...and asking "Do I have insurance if I crash???"

Look how the government screws everything else up most of the time,all this about the "RUM"bike issue doesn't surprise me....Oh.... I want something in writing if ICBC will honor my insurance in a crash with my "RUM"...should be interesting.could have some non DS'ed bikes for sale in the "For Sale Forum" soon....