The Plan:

Hooligan

The plan is amazing, :clap:

We will ship a 20' container out of here around the start of October. It will arrive in Africa for us to unpack on arrival. In the container will be your bike and all the tires/parts you might need, thus most of your luggage.

We will fly out of here around the start of December to arrive in Cape Town South Africa on sayDecember 2nd. After a few days climatizing and sampling what the vineyards have to offer we fly to Windhoek Namibia three days later.

In Namibia we unpack the container and get the bikes going. We will likely spend 2 or 3 days here to get all sorted out. Once packed and ready we startthe 17 day journey of a lifetime.

We willexperience a huge variety of rural culture, sample some interesting foods, but the best is definately going to be the riding. We will be covering 5000km in 13 riding days.We are planning to have a few down days, for instance at the Victoria Falls where we will likely be either White Water Rafting or walking game trails witrh Rhino etc. More about this in the itinerary to follow.

The journey will take us through 3 countries, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia (or Zimbabwe, still deciding on this choice, we might even do both)As we spend some time in SA we actualy see 4 countries vastly different from one another in culture, landscape and fauna & Flora.

Then once back in Windhoek we pack the container a couple days before Christmas and go home. (We will unpack the container in Canada around mid February)either in time for a white Christmas back home or maybe stop over in Europe for some down time after the Africa experience. It is all quite flexible.

NOTE: we still have the option if so desired to start riding in Cape Town. This would add about 1500km to the journey, there will be less offroad stuff and the days will be longer due to the time constraints and longer overall distance.

I will be posting a date andvenue for a get together, if you are interested come join in and listen to what we plan. If you are not able to join us in Africa you are still more than welcome to come and listen and join in the excitement.

That's all for now folks.....as they say...watch this spot :tup:

:hb:

PS, for those who do not know me have a look in the Gallery, I have a few pictures of past bike trips I did for Helge Pederson in this area.

<http://www.dualsportbc.com/photogallery/showgallery.php?cat=509>

T

tashunka

imported post

imported post

wow, sounds like the trip of a lifetime for sure!!!!

what do you figure the total costs for something like this would be?

kitchencabinet

imported post

imported post

thanks, pretty damn hard to concentrate on work now with visions of me and my drz cruising through the Serengeti.

scheming ....scheming.... what to tell wife .... scheming ............

K.

Bugsinteeth

imported post

imported post

This trip sounds fantastic! I look forward to meeting you when you have your discussion session. I'll be all ears.

Paul N.

S

spam and eggs

imported post

imported post

Hi Hooligan,

Been off the radar screen for a while-dumb jobs interfere with playtime.

With Sagot's recent purchase of Big Kate from 640in604, we are one step closer toAfrica.Just wanted to let you know we are still mightily interested. December is PERFECT timing for us.

sPam

blocker

imported post

imported post

Just to let you know I am still interested in Africa trip. I currently have a XR650L that I took to the Baja with Tom, however I am considering gettiing a 640 Adventure.

Let me know when you are meeting, I am currenty in Cambodia, just completed a 8 day dirt bike trip (XR400) in the Cardamon Mountains, the most difficult area to ride in Cambodia. when I figure it out I will post some pictures.

Cheers, blocker

Hooligan

imported post

imported post

Blocker,maybe I can go with you next time...?:tup:let me know when you are back.

Spam, Congrats, very good buy....The right bike for the right job, hey now we can share spare parts......!:dr:

This is so a 640 Adv trip.

S

spam and eggs

imported post

imported post

Naw, I'm still riding my KLR, Sagot is the one who traded in his old DR600 for the Adventure 640. KLRs gonna get some new accessories this year though.

Blocker-awesome! :hb:Did you hook up with David Unkovitch or anyone from http://www.gt-rider.combefore you left? I did a Thailand/Laos/Cambodia month-long backpacking trip including a week on an XR250 out of Chaing Mai in 03 and that site helped me with a lot of the research re: where was fun/safe to ride.

imported post

imported post

Hi,

Greetings from Baja. We're on month three, but just blew out the shock on my KLR. So real slow poking until we get a new one in a couple of weeks.

Still very interesting in going to Africa

Lars

blocker

imported post

imported post

Hi Pam, no we set up our own trip, there were 5 of us, 3 of us were in Cambodia last year in the north we all got along well so we set up an other trip. We had a guide and sweep rider. However the area that we were in is very isolated and not accessable by a 4x4. The bridges were all blowen by the Khemer Rouge as they retreated during the war. So there are only stick bridges or no bridges to get over the rivers. We stayed in hamocks in the jungle.

we are planning on an other trip in 07.

Cheers blocker

sagot

imported post

imported post

v. nice. Looking forward to some PICTURES!

Sorry for the thread jack Hooligan...

blocker

imported post

imported post

Hooligan,

I will be back on March 13th, then doing the dunns in Oregon with Tom T and company the weekend of 17-19th available after that. Look forward to meeting you in person.

blocker

Hooligan

imported post

imported post

I am doing the dunes in Mid April for 10 days....:tup:

Enjoy! :dr:

PS, leave some sand for me....

S

spam and eggs

imported post

imported post

Can we get together SOON to discuss and see who is in? What about weekend of March 25/26? The sooner the better for me, but looks like this might be earliest that Blocker can be there, what with his tortuous travel schedule. No rest for the wicked, huh Gord?