The Shell Rotella T-6 Synthetic Oil Thread

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
Motorex advertise a combination of pao and ester in it's most expensive synthetic oil. Man that stuffs expensive but most things orange are.

So you think Motorex mix some Rotella T6 in their BEST oil blend?
That a good Idea for those who want to stay KTM all Orange.
Poor one cap of Motorex in your Rotella T6 :Stir

LordEndo

Staff member
Last ride was not in the Snow?

Ha wait, I remember we hit a little of mud just before you start to look at me with those killing eyes :shock:

They were killing eyes indeed! Good lord I was tired..... Was that the last ride? Might have been.....I think I might have gotten out with the terrible twosome since then.

T6 in my FE570 since the second oil change. Its now at 410hrs and 16300kms and runs like the day it was new. I buy the oil on sale at CD or Walmart......ps - run T6 in my Cummings powered truck too.

TW_rider

I tried the T6 once, back when I owned my precious little TW...and I didn't like it. It seemed to make the valve train noisier and the shifting notchier.
Once I went back to Mobil4T...she quietened down again, so I used that forever after.

Having said that, I use the T6 in my PSD and it works great...better than the Delo, for sure...but the Dino Rotella is awful stuff in a diesel.... YMMV
I may try using the T6 in either the DR or the XT (or both) this season; it's a great product with a healthy dose of calcium as well as phosphorous and zinc to keep your engine healthy.

Long read: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

This page gives you some insight into the additive packages in various diesel oils: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/tdrarticles/tdrarticle56_lubeoilspecs.html

Last edited:

woofer2609

I tried the T6 once, back when I owned my precious little TW...and I didn't like it. It seemed to make the valve train noisier and the shifting notchier.
Once I went back to Mobil4T...she quietened down again, so I used that forever after.

Having said that, I use the T6 in my PSD and it works great...better than the Delo, for sure...but the Dino Rotella is awful stuff in a diesel.... YMMV
I may try using the T6 in either the DR or the XT (or both) this season; it's a great product with a healthy dose of calcium as well as phosphorous and zinc to keep your engine healthy.

Long read: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

This page gives you some insight into the additive packages in various diesel oils: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/tdrarticles/tdrarticle56_lubeoilspecs.html

Yamaha air cooled engines do not like T6. If you use it in your XT, monitor the oil level carefully, as the tolerances on air cooled engines are "looser" due to expansion being an issue, especially when cold. The finer molecules of synthetic oil seem to flow through the gaps quite nicely.
That's been my issue experience with my XT anyway. The fuel mileage was noticeably better, however.

TW_rider

OK...but the DR is also air-cooled and I've heard nothing but praise for the T6 in those engines!
I run synth in ALL my machines, so it doesn't really matter to me...but as mentioned, the T6 is cheap and easy to obtain.
Not the case with stuff like Amsoil or Motul.

woofer2609

I can only speak to my experience in my own xt. T6 works great in my wr250r, and probably DR's. The TW and XT engines are quite similar, I believe.

Shuswap

It's for sale if you want one :tup:
If you'd caught me this time last year I might have taken you up on it instead of buying an under-powered BMW, which has the handling the Bandit lacks......but lacks the engine that the Bandit has!

TW_rider

I can only speak to my experience in my own xt. T6 works great in my wr250r, and probably DR's. The TW and XT engines are quite similar, I believe.

OK...good to know. I was going to try some in my XT this season, but you're right...their engines are almost carbon copies. So chances are, I'd have the same experience.
I will try some in the DR though...

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
Yamaha air cooled engines do not like T6. If you use it in your XT, monitor the oil level carefully, as the tolerances on air cooled engines are "looser" due to expansion being an issue, especially when cold. The finer molecules of synthetic oil seem to flow through the gaps quite nicely.
That's been my issue experience with my XT anyway. The fuel mileage was noticeably better, however.

Funny that you mention "Air Cooled" You may not know this but Deutz makes nothing but industrial / commercial air cooled diesels from 3 to 8 cylinders 67 to 670 hp
Shell Rotella T6 meets the Duetz Diesel recommendations and is on their list of oils to use. You would think a little single cylinder air cooled motorcycle engine would be able to benefit from such a high quality oil? Perhaps my thinking is a little too simplistic?

Just in case you have not seen an air cooled diesel
m3_912.jpg

LordEndo

Staff member
Well I'm gonna do it. Bought a 4L jug of T6 5w40 synthetic and I'm going to try it in my 350. The only appreciable issue I can see is that KTM spec a 50 rather than 40 viscosity oil so we'll see if it's rattly at running temp. with the 40 viscosity oil. Being in Kamloops the thicker oil might be better but we'll see once I try it. Pretty sure nothing will blow up (....).

sylvain

"2018 Forest Fairies"
The good things about Rotella, it's cheap, so you do not extend too much between oil changes...(Not that money is a problem for you)When can I get that 350? You should be planning for a replacement by now???And by the way I've put 600 hrs ish on the Beta (2) without any issues.You should buy a Scott stainless steel oil filter as well. With that, you don't care to do an oil change after 10 hrs

Last edited:

04klr

late reply to, an oil thread. but . the 525 gets T6 5/40, and rodney get's T4 15/40 (when at home, on the road it's Lubie Lube 1000 diesel oil, the thicker the better).