Tires, tubes, treads, and more...

offworlder

Post up here with your questions, answers, and tall tales re the most important bits in yer bike that keep you bobbin....

offworlder

What tire(s) do you ride? What tire meets/exceeds your expectations? How many tires did it take for you to find it?
(you did try every tire you could get yer mitts on in an endless quest for the ultimate combo of traction and durability, right?)

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
What better way to start whats to become an epic thread than with a seminal post from the master himself:

Great Vid, thanks for posting

Me, I decided to learn how to patch a tube with minimal tools. Seeing I dont race and an extra 30 minutes to the day has not been a problem.

Had many combinations of tires over the years. Worst tires ever for my type of riding was the Trackmaster 6 ply and some shitty trials tire. I have always been pleased with the Mitas tires, predictable is what I would say.

panthaka

Best on my KLR were Dunlop D606 for off road and Mefo Explorers for 50/50 (sadly no longer available). Worst were the stock Dulop 60/40 tires and a Kenda 50/50 rear I got in Arizona.

Got a question.
I'm picking up a DR-Z400s in July. I bought a set of Tusk DSport ADV tires to try out (knobbies, recommended to me). The rear tire is fine, but I could only get the front tire as a 90/90 - 21. Stock calls for a 80/100 - 21
Funny, I went to the dealer that's getting the bike for me and the service guy had no idea. His response was; "We never change tire sizes or mix tires on any of our bikes..."

Question: Is this size difference going to cause any issues (diameter, width)??

I'm thinking/hoping not, as there are very few aggressive off road tires available in a 80/100 - 21. Also the difference is only 10mm either way.

TIA

Be happy, Chris

DeathDuck69

I’ve got a set of the Tusk tires on my ‘04 DRZ400s. They work great and were super cheap on sale at $50 a piece just before covid, i bought two sets. My fronts are 90/90 21’s and the rear is a 130/90 18”. They have been good for me on FSR’s and intermediate single track. For the cost, I’d buy again.

panthaka

I’ve got a set of the Tusk tires on my ‘04 DRZ400s. They work great and were super cheap on sale at $50 a piece just before covid, i bought two sets. My fronts are 90/90 21’s and the rear is a 130/90 18”. They have been good for me on FSR’s and intermediate single track. For the cost, I’d buy again.
Thanks guys I really didn't think there would be an issue. I got mine from Rocky Mtn. in the states. With duty and exch they were $195 for the pair. Still cheaper than D606 from Canada. Where did you get yours DeathDuck?

Be happy, Chris

DeathDuck69

Same place as you purchased yours…..rockymountainatv……the cost of the D606’s have really increased….i never liked them on the front, only ever used them on the rear, many times, they worked great.
Here’s a pic of the current cost for the front tire from my local shop…..ADD81448-8A42-4BD0-B896-BD74C5529DB0.jpeg
See u on the trail!!!!!!!

04klr

Buy my Centrau tire, cheaper than anything else and made in the same country as those Tusk brand tires.