• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

To BCORMA or Not To BCORMA?

To BCORMA or Not To BCORMA?

• Yes, with membership fees

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No, Keep Status Quo

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
That is the question, or better put, should DualSportBC become the official Provincial Federation for Off-Road Dual Sport and Adventure Motorcycle enthusiasts?

Presently DSBC has supported the British Columbia Off Road Motorcycle Association, with association membership (200.00) and BCORMA Trail Pass sales. The past few years has seen BCORMA become almost exclusively involved in Dirt Bike Single Track. This is understandable as an association like BCORMA can not be all things to all people particularly when money is involved. BCORMA is funded by the Canadian Off Highway Vehicle Association, through the sales of off road RUM bikes, dual sport bikes are considered street motorcycles and thus no funding from the sales of dual sport motorcycles goes to BCORMA so other than the few trail pass sales that go through DSBC, BCORMA does not have a financial interest in issues that concern our particular group.

We recognise that many of the DSBC guys and gals, also ride off road or dirt bikes on single track, but our core has always been the Dual Sport / Adventure, Recreational off road riders. Will there be duplication of representation? Possibly in a few areas, but I don't see this as a big problem as as riders can either pick one association or the other depending on their needs, not to mention many of us can easily afford to support both.

Splitting up the off road motorcycling community? Thats already been done, there was a time that you rode what you drove, dirt bikes had headlights and trials bikes had seats. Now we have an MX association, trials association, several racing associations, amongst these organisations dual sport riders have always been considered, second class, not worthy of being called a dirt biker. Where does DSBC fit into this model?

Finally we have the Natural Resource Road Act, the NRRA that will be introduced in the near future. Gone will be the good old days of FSRs and now industrial roads. How are DSBC members represented on this? This will be a major change for us as off road riders. Issues regarding the NRRA for us, DSBC, we are better represented by the Quading community ATVBC than the Single Track Community BCORMA. Do we let the Quading community decide how the NRRA will affect us? If so we should be throwing a lot of money their direction. Or do we throw a bunch of money at BCORMA with the hopes they take dual sport riding seriously?

If DSBC decides to take a much larger role in the formation of the off road riding community and the NRRA, there will be some fundamental changes that will need to happen. Like mandatory membership fees. The free ride will be coming to an end.

What do you think?

North

I think we have to do what is best to support the future of Dual Sport riding. Sadly nothing is free anymore.

DirtClunker

So... what will membership fees be spent on?

I see with BCORMA its is spent on making trails, helping to establish OHV areas, oh and I saw that nice "BCORMA" truck the exec director rides around in...

But what would DS fees be spent on?

ejfranz

I already belong to the FVMA to keep those trails open.
I belong to BC4WD To help keep back road areas open.
I buy trails passes through DSBC to keep trails open.
i belong to BCWF to keep hunting and fishing interests in perspective.
So why not another group to keep the trails and back roads open?
thanks for all the work you guys do!

hooter

I see with BCORMA its is spent on making trails, helping to establish OHV areas, oh and I saw that nice "BCORMA" truck the exec director rides around in...

Totally agree. I'm ready to spend money to support this, but I want to see the business plan. Specifically I would like to know what we will do differently to avoid getting politically out-maneuvered by the business community and others. That giant tax grab called "ORV registration program" was a painful lesson.

bitingdog

A couple thoughts...
Divided we fall. If you add up all of the province's quad, side by side, ds, enduro, trials, and mx riders, we have some serious numbers. We need to be well funded, so we can not only lobby, but also make campaign contributions to favorable candidates.
More than anything, such a group requires Tom Timmerman to head it up. The man deserves a salary, and a company car.
Yes the free ride is over, but it is time to get serious about protecting the sport we love.

My two cents.

Adam

tomcycle

Staff member

DC, have you seen a BCORMA financial report? I have. BCORMA is doing the best they can with what they have.

From 2014 BCORMA AGM
· Total income for 2013: $81,060.00
· $46,700 ED wages for 2013 (was $68,000 for 2012)
· BCORMA had a net surplus of $4,420.00 as of Jan 31 2014.

Basically after expenses like Insurance, operational bills and ED office and travel expenses, BCORMA had 4400 bucks left over. Not much money to do anything with.

I can not say if we/they are getting good value for money spent? I can not find a list of BCORMA achievements for 2013, I will post a link to the 2014 BCORMA AGM for you to read. When you read the minutes you will find it lacking on detail.

BCORMA has been promising many things over the years, but they are having a delivery problem. BCORMA started with 1/4 million dollars seed money from the MMIC, to create a sustainable Provincial Off road motorcycle association, from my viewpoint they only made it halfway.

BCORMA actually does not build or finance the building of trails, thats done by the clubs and volunteers and on occasions some government funding

What would DSBC membership fees be spent on? First I need a new motorhome (f*** the little truck). Kidding aside that would be up to the membership and the directors. I can say that we would be much better at getting the message out and more accountable about the money.

Is BCORMA doing a good job?

tomcycle

Staff member
A couple thoughts...
Divided we fall. If you add up all of the province's quad, side by side, ds, enduro, trials, and mx riders, we have some serious numbers. We need to be well funded, so we can not only lobby, but also make campaign contributions to favorable candidates.
More than anything, such a group requires Tom Timmerman to head it up. The man deserves a salary, and a company car.
Yes the free ride is over, but it is time to get serious about protecting the sport we love.

My two cents.

Adam

Not looking for a job thanks though.

You are absolutely right, divided we fall. BCORMA seems to be taking this direction by default. I have it on good authority the BCORMA has not been working on keep the good relations it use to have with the quad guys at ATVBC. Obviously I am concerned that BCORMA has decided to only concern themselves with single track trails, that will leave a lot of DSBC guys out in the wilderness. I am also sure that BCORMA has no contact with the 4x4 guys. We are already divided.

cactusreid

just a question here, are we as plated/ licensed tax payers not allowed to go on any road or trail or track that a person in an suv or 4x4 is allowed or legally to travel upon? We all see them out wandering the back roads and trails every weekend with out a care or a clue .have we not already bought that right by having paid the licence and insurance costs that the government has asked of us?
I'm also a full on offroad single track rider on my 300 2 smoke so i'm trying to see if i should concentrate on one or both of my passions? I'm perfectly happy to help support anything that is needed to allow us access to the areas that we all enjoy, so i;ll be keeping an eye on what happens going forward from here.

offworlder

While not (yet) officially recognized, DSBC has been the defacto voice of BC dual sporting for me for some time :eek:.
Provided there's a democratic and transparent process (paying members get to prioritize issues and vote), I'm prepared to support this financially.

Ti welder

Didn't buy a trail pass this year, For the first time since the whole thing started. Not a dirt biker any more, life has changed since those days....Be more than happy to put that towards something worthwhile as someone needs to unite all involved in keeping riding areas open, and more importantly access to crown land and the fsr's/back country! Without access there is no accountability for logging practises ect.