Vancouver Motorcycle Show Highlights?

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
The show has had its first night, any worthwhile highlights? Should I head down and buy a new bike, any cool new accessories.

Anything at all, post it here

I hear the DSBC booth has some great pictures from the past year?

T

Mad Max

The Trials rider and the Street bike Hooligans (I can't remember their names) showed skill levels that were big-time impressive. The photos in the DSBC booth were top-drawer , both in quality and content. As well it was great to see old friends and have a little B.S.

Thanks to all who did a First Rate Job!

Jay

Last edited:

tomcycle

Staff member

DirtClunker

Tom, if you ever get over to the island, give me a shout. I picked up an explorer last month. The wifey uses it for logging road rides; I use it for novice trials competition. Tons o fun.

It is a 2012 and there were a few warranty upgrades (tranny 6th gear, shift drum, new EFI map) - now starts on second kick cold and shifts well. Great support from John - the OSSA Canada distributor. A buddy has a 2014 and hear that everything is nicely sorted out.

LordEndo

Staff member
I think the TM and CCM bikes were pretty cool. That and all the exotics like the OSSA and Gas Gas. I also got some really great info from the CTi brace guy on extended medical coverage and they now come with a dirt bike accessory package. Tracey really enjoyed getting to sit on a bunch of different bikes to get a feel for what she likes.

diverdown

just got back from the show, was pretty disappointed, was my first one, was looking for more vendors with dual sport stuff, all I found was a bunch of sh-- for the street bike crowd and Harley riders, don't, get me wrong, own three Harleys, but how much leather shit can you wear and put on a bike. my take. won,t go back. back ordering my dual sport stuff online. diverdown. Kamloops BC

Bora20

Administrator
but how much leather shit can you wear and put on a bike.

I guess you haven't been to the Harley shop recently. We are a very small component of the bike world and as such, the motorcycle show. I wasn't able to make it this year, would have loved to see the OSSA.

tomcycle

Staff member
Although I have been sick all weekend I did manage to make my afternoon shift with Dan. I walked straight to the DSBC booth and talked to a couple of people so that took about 30 minutes. At the booth I found that I talked to people from the moment I got there to about 15 minutes to closing. It did seem very sedate and not crazy as in years past, yet very steady. I did not walk the show but did hear from the people I talked to and they seemed pleased but not excited. It was nice that the weather cooperated and it was bright and clear for booth take down, no rush very nice.

I guess if I would have to sum up what I heard of the show it would be status quo. Which in the past few years is probably good new for the industry.

Hope we get some excitement for us DS riders in next years show.

Tom

Phoenix

Maybe not a lot for us dual sport riders, but was still good to be out on a nice day and be around motorcycles. Good pictures at the booth(biased cause I was in a few). Got my Bcorma pass and picked up the back roads sd maps for the gps. Show seems to shrink a little every year, hopefully the trend reverses.

karlsbad

I have to agree I thought there were less vendors this year, might be an expensive show for them. Personally I really just wanted to see the new 1190 KTM and the V-Strom 1000 both bikes impressed me, the KTM was out standing and they continue to show why they just keep getting better every year. But whoa that price tag, both the BMW and the KTM are probably out of my price "comfort Zone" The Suzuki on the other hand I liked all the improvements over the previous model and they still managed to keep the price at what I believe is very affordable. It was good to see a bunch of the Islanders I am looking forward to some good riding in 2014
Cheers

JavaJude

Super Moderator
Many thanks to Scott and Tom for helping setting up the booth on Thursday night. We kept it simple with lots of photos, a series of Mitas tires from MX1 and a Loop Bag display that Scott made. Thank you to Doug from Minuteman Press for printing all of the awesome photos and business cards and thank you to Cecile Gambin (Cecile Gambin Photography) for donating the huge photos we displayed at the back of the booth. And also thank you to the members who sent me the photo files so I could have them printed. The photos really showed the Show Visitors what we do and drew them into our booth.

Of course we couldn't have had a booth without all of the people who volunteered to be there: John (Farp), Bill (wjm), Rick (north), Molly, Ian R., Bob (bobhami), Neil (hawk), Guy (DRuZer), Dave (MOD), Dave R., Dan B., Mike (XmikeR), Cecile, Scott and Tom.

It was a fun weekend. As always it will take a few days for me to get my voice back. I talk to much!! I was happy to see so many DSBC faces ( like Jay and Frank from the Island) and touch base with some of our sponsors (like Ian - Britannia Composites, Marq Smith - previously from Western, now at Holeshot, Dave - MOD).

I walked around the Show a number of times looking for something really cool and other than the CCM 450 and the Polaris 800 snowmobile nothing else really caught my eye. I was hoping to find some new little vender with a cool new product but I didn't.

I do hope all of the people who were interested in DSBC log on and have a look at our site and perhaps join us at the Spring Newbie Ride.

Judy

North

Miss Molly and I had good time at the show. The Mitas tires were a great draw to the Booth. As always, there was a lot of interest in DualSport BC. Hopefully we see some new faces at the Spring Newbie ride.

I always enjoy the show and seeing all the new Bikes in one place. But I do miss all the Ma and Pa booths that used to be at the show.

North

Does anyone remember the name of the Book the guy was selling in the booth Kitty Corner to us?

Just found it: Through dust and darkness
[h=1][/h]

Last edited:

offworlder

Highlights for me were (other than all the awesome DSBC pics):
- Don Hatton's Dakar bikes, still stuffed with Central American sand ! WAY TO GO DON !!!
- CCM 450, More info here (PS: distributer is looking to setup Canadian dealers; nudge, hint, prod…:):
http://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/gp450.asp
http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/blog/2013/01/ccm-450-adventure/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857243

KTM Freeride is coming to NA, but only the 2-stroke (can't figure the logic there…) but it'll cost more than a 350EXC :eek:

Last edited:

offworlder

:hijacked

(decent) MCN review of the CCM 450:

Daytona Motorsports is gonna be the local dealer, bike'll be priced around 12K, and should land mid 2014.

cactusreid

So far i see a cable clutch, and a chinese knockoff motor produced under strict tiawanese build standards. Let me guess, it will also come with a close ratio 5 speed tranny in it. Thanks, but some one else can shake the bugs out of this one! Maybe i'm picky, but i don't see anything here that is even marginally as good as what is out there and proven in the market of today. The only redeeming feature that i can see in this bike,is it would appear to be fully street legal from the get go.

DISCLAIMER- if my one man's opionon's are wrong , untrue, or offensive to anyone , please delete, or blank out or ignore them all together.

Last edited:

Long Way Home

I had a good time at the show on Saturday, once the parking nightmare was over. Great to sit on the various dual sport bikes and check them out for seat height and general fit. I think I will be seriously looking into the BMW G650GS due to lower seat height and good looks.