• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

"WARNING" CMVSS officer in Boundary Area looking for neutral indicator light.

boundrybasher

"WARNING" CMVSS officer in Boundary Area looking for neutral indicator light.

FYI

Beware if you come this way.
Were does this leave us 2007-2012 KTM EXC owners? Mine is a USA import and has no light. I don't think the Canadian models do. Maybe a owner of CDN model can chime in if they have the light.

Bora20

Administrator
My 2010 503 EXC only has a high beam indicator and a signal light indicator (1 light for both sides). There is no neutral light and it came that way from KTM.

rudi

If you get a letter from a dealer/mechanic saying it came stock without a neutral light you should be fine.

kenf

My 2011 Husky TE310 is the same (stock instrument cluster does not have a neutral light) -- I was unaware that a neutral light was a legal requirement, though I've seen it hinted at in other threads. Anybody know for sure either way?

boundrybasher

Believe this all comes from Technical Standards Document No. 123.

Within in references the term "if provided" in the requirements description.
Does that mean a machine that has the equipment, then has to operate in the outlined manner.

I am not able to fine a reference in the regulations that states an neutral indicator light requirement.

cactusreid

where is our buddy fartypants when we need him? he seemed to know all the rules when we were discussing RUM bikes a couple of years ago.

Shuswap

Worst case is it's left up to the officer's discretion.
I suspect that if it isn't mentioned in the regs, wasn't provided by the O.E. manufacturer and wasn't present during the certification process, that it isn't necessary for continued roadworthiness.
My manual transmission automobiles don't have neutral indicator lamps either.

These bozos need to stick to the work that matters most....the work that the people of BC hired them to do

Last edited:

boundrybasher

Well this officer's "discretion" is to hassle people without justification and a misunderstanding of the rules/regulations he is hired to enforce as best I can tell.

250ccforme

If the Transport Canada approved frame sticker says type MC, this officer needs to deal with Transport Canada and get his facts straight.

cactusreid

iT MUST BE THE SEASON/OR THE "HEAT". I JUST HEARD OF A FELLOW THAT GOT HOLLERED AT AND ALSO GOT A TICKET FOR DRIVING AROUND WITHOUT THE SOFT DOORS INSTALLED ON HIS JEEP TJ. YOU KNOW THE ONES THAT ARE MADE OUT OF TENT POLE MATERIAL,WITH SOME CANVAS STRETCHED OVER TOP? i THINK THE "HEAT" IS GETTING OVERHEATED,BY THE HEAT.

leadsled

In reading my Motor vehicle Inspection manual under motorcycle indicator lamps it does say that you should reject the inspection if the neutral indicator fails to operate.

boundrybasher

In reading my Motor vehicle Inspection manual under motorcycle indicator lamps it does say that you should reject the inspection if the neutral indicator fails to operate.

Fair enough. If you got it it must work.
But what if there is none to begin with. (I.E. KTM, Husky, etc). IS it a "requirement" and if so were in the regulations is it.
Were then does that leave owners without the light installed from factory already in Canada. Having to deal with these officers who may or may not know or fully understand this completely.

John M

... DRIVING AROUND WITHOUT THE SOFT DOORS INSTALLED ON HIS JEEP TJ. .....

I used to be a jeeper. It was explained to me, by the nice constable who took the time to educate me instead of writing me up, that it wasn't a door I needed, so much as a mirror. That's when I learned to drop a side mirror in the top door hinge, and became legal again.

J.

250ccforme

Next time I run into the local inspector I'll ask him. He understands the "if so equipped it must function as supplied" concept. So we'll chat about if there isn't a neutral light from the factory and the frame head sticker says type "MC".

When I mentioned getting the KLX to him, the next words out of his mouth were "type MC?". "Of course", I replied.

boundrybasher

A clear explanation from a trained person with experience and reference to the specific text on the standard would be much appreciated for any future run ins with this specific officer.

cactusreid

I think that the whole gist of where we are going/venting here is officers that are using the -might is right theory and handing out tickets/fines/etc that are simply at the whim of the person that happens to be holding the ticket book that day. i will take the time and show up in court to fight my case each and every time, that i feel i have been handed an unfair or unjust ticket. for the record, i have won more than i've lost by a wide margin. that made be only 2 to 1, but i'll let your imaginations run!

PistolPete

I used to be a jeeper. It was explained to me, by the nice constable who took the time to educate me instead of writing me up, that it wasn't a door I needed, so much as a mirror. That's when I learned to drop a side mirror in the top door hinge, and became legal again.

J.

I have a buddy in the RCMP and asked him about goind doorless. He said NOPE. Illegal. I did some research and this is what I came up with.

11. Doors shall be installed in a vehicle where the vehicle was manufactured with doors

7.04 (1) Subject to subsections (3) and (4), every motor vehicle shall be equipped with an inside mirror that provides the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the highway directly to the rear of the vehicle extending to the horizon from a point on the road surface not more than 61 m behind the vehicle.

(2) In addition to the requirements of subsections (1) and (3), every motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1973 shall beequipped with an outside mirror on the driver's side that provides the driver with an undistorted reflected view of the adjacent lane of the highway rearward to the horizon from a point on the road surface 11 m behind the driver.

(3) Where the inside mirror of a motor vehicle does not provide the view required by subsection (1), the vehicle shall be equipped with a second outside mirror on the side of the vehicle opposite the driver and in that case the inside mirror may be removed.

Taken from
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/26_58_00

John M

I wonder if the regs have been adjusted in this area? Clearly you have linked the current version, and my scenario took place in about 1993....