• Welcome to new DualSportBC Forum!
    To Log in on new forum you will need to reset your password first using "Log in" --> "Forgot your password?"
    Sorry for the inconvenience caused, but we trust it's a one time deal.
    If you encounter any issues please contact us at [email protected]

"WARNING" CMVSS officer in Boundary Area looking for neutral indicator light.

kenf

I think that the whole gist of where we are going/venting here is officers that are using the -might is right theory and handing out tickets/fines/etc that are simply at the whim of the person that happens to be holding the ticket book that day
My concern exactly. I've been on the wrong side of that argument a few times (i.e. the side where I'm right, the cop really is out of line, but we're in the middle of nowhere and it's his little empire that I've invaded so I'm still wrong just because he says so) and there no scenario that ever ends well. Best case was when my wife is around to defuse my irritation before I got myself in more trouble by arguing -- worst case involved extra fines and threats to my license by a judge with no sense of humor.

As noted above, manual vehicles in general don't have neutral lights, so I'd really like to know if bike have a specific requirement for them, and if so, how are Husky, KTM, etc. able to get approval to be plated without this being designed in from the factory?

O

old trials guy

(2) Where fitted on a vehicle, the displays for the following functions and malfunctions shall be fitted in such a manner that they are identifiable by the driver while the driver is seated in the driver’s designated seating position with the driver’s seat belt fastened around the driver in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions:
  • (a) the headlamp upper beam;
  • (b) the turn signals;
  • (c) the hazard warning signal;
  • (d) a seat belt;
  • (e) the fuel level;
  • (f) the engine oil pressure;
  • (g) the engine coolant temperature;
  • (h) the battery charging condition;
  • (i) a brake system malfunction;
  • (j) an air brake low pressure;
  • (k) an antilock brake system malfunction;
  • (l) a variable brake proportioning system malfunction;
  • (m) the parking brake applied;
  • (n) a low brake fluid condition;
  • (o) a gross loss of brake pressure condition;
  • (p) a brake lining wear-out condition;
  • (q) the transmission control position;
  • (r) the speedometer;
  • (s) the odometer;
  • (t) a low tire pressure warning that does not identify which tire has low pressure;
  • (u) a low tire pressure warning that identifies which tire has low pressure;
  • (v) a tire pressure monitoring system malfunction;
  • (w) an electronic stability control system malfunction; and
  • (x) the deactivation of the electronic stability control system.

From Transport Canada website.

otg

cactusreid

so---- the boundary officer that did not find a neutral light on a motorcycle, should just stop looking and wave you on? he should not be able to demand that you get/install one? But if he finds a neutral light, and it doesn't work-then he should instruct you to repair the defect and possibly call you in to verify that the repair has been done? Am I correct in my interpretation of these rules?

Last edited:

ranger_4x

right out of inspection manual
4. Indicator Lamps
Test the system to OEM standards.
Visually inspect:
a) brake warning indicator a) not activated as per OEM test design
b) high beam indicator b) fails to operate
c) turn signal indicator c) fails to operate, correct indicator does not illuminate
for switch selection
d) anti-lock brake indicator (if O.E.M. equipped) d) fails to operate during test cycle
e) “Check engine” indicator light h) fails to illuminate or remains illuminated after test cycle
f) neutral indicator f) fails to operate
OUT OF SERVICE
• Brake failure warning light remains illuminated.