Why Do I Have To Have A BCORMA Trail Pass For The NuBee Ride?

gryphon51

Got My BCORMA pass in the mail for 2012...came with a childs pass for a youngsters helmet as well....sweet!! Small Price to pay for the quality of trail I enjoyed at the Fall newby ride.
When you buy the bronze pass (for plated and insured bikes) you will see the value the first time you ride these trails..... the work done is obvious....

See you there guys... very excited to get the new season going....
....................................................................................................................

Good Question

You can get lots of information about BCORMA and The Trail Pass Program here
www.bcorma.ca

BCORMA is the recognized Provincial representative for Off Road Motorcycles (includes Dual Sport)

BCORMA is a Not For Profit and is Registered in BC

BCORMA Board of Directors are made up of 27 NFP motorcycle clubs (including DSBC a founding member)

BCORMAs BoDs are all Volunteer (that includes me)

BCORMA has a full time Executive Director (this is the only paid position)

BCORMA does not receive any money from any level of Government

BCORMA gets its funding from YOU The lions share is through the Trail Pass Program, we also get some funding from the Motorcycle Confederation of Canada and some on line sales

BCORMA mandate, To ensure off road access

Presently BCORMA is working on the following
NRRA Natural Resource Road Act
Off Road Vehicle Registration
BC Trails Strategy
Conflict Resolution Process for the Province’s Rail Trail Network (usually referred to as the Trans Canada Trail or Kettle Valley Rail)
Okanagan Similkameen Regional District Trail Strategy Plan

BCORMA works with the local Clubs on a daily basis to help get funds and develop strategy's to develop existing riding areas ( This includes Tamihi)

BCORMA works closely with the Province and is considered the "Go To" guys when off road motorized is concerned

BCORMA has developed and teaches an off road riding school for kids (DSBC will be sponsoring one this year)

Without Your Support, off road motorcycling would not be represented at any of these discussions where policy is being made.

So you get all this for only $45 bucks and support a local club at the same time

But wait there is more.............You get a really cool decal showing you support your sport to all the others out there who think that its their right to ride where they please.
Helmet%20Decal%202011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ironman929

Why Do I Have To Have A BCORMA Trail Pass For The NuBee Ride?

These BCORMA passes that you want us to buy, do they come with a complete guide of all the trails you maintain? Are these trails owned by your BCORMA association? Is it required for a non local who may come for a day ride?

cactusreid

iron-man: i assume you live in bc or at least like to ride here? the bcorma group is a bunch of volunteers, that are working very hard on all of our behalf, to get/keep and maintain the right to ride the backroads and trails that are spread around our province. we (collectively as a group) have for a lot of years now,considered riding these areas on motorcycles,as our god given right. Times up pilgrim/s! we now and have been for a while- have had to fight for the privilege to ride the trails that a lot of us built 20/30/40 years ago in what was untouched or uncared about forests etc. please don't take this as an assault on you, it's not in any way. we all need to step up and help fund the protection of the sport that we enjoy. Buy a bcorma pass, join a motorcycle club, help put on a ride, pay an entry fee or two for a riding event of your choice,but do something besides sit on the sidelines and complain about having to spend a few bucks on a sport you/we/i all really enjoy.

Bora20

Administrator
and I will answer the questions...

These BCORMA passes that you want us to buy, do they come with a complete guide of all the trails you maintain?

They sure don't. See Cactusreid's post.

Are these trails owned by your BCORMA association?

They sure aren't. No trails are owned unless you own the land. They are all trails on public land and are open to being closed to us. See Cactusreid's post.

Is it required for a non local who may come for a day ride?

It sure is. It is $50 for the entire year and goes to support great things. See Cactusreid's post.

on a side note...I figure that if I have a $10,000 dirt bike with $3000+ worth of add-ons on it, I can pay the $50 to ride it :D

They don't have to have a BCORMA Membership. If it's their first time out riding with us and they have a good day of riding ( and they will), then they will most likely buy a membership.

Ironman929

I understand the need for a fee to join a club, but it sounds like you not allowing people to ride trails that you've worked on unless you buy a pass. That would be like me charging you $500 a year for the fresh air you breath because it comes from the trees I've planted near your house. I've gone into areas and built trails and shown others where they are. I've chosen not to charge people for the right to ride trails that I've riden, maintained and marked. It's the whole attitude of "I built the trail, you can't go on it unless you pay" thing I find disturbing.

I think it would be better for the dual-sport riding community to have open sharing of trails and areas to go.

joker650

I understand the need for a fee to join a club, but it sounds like you not allowing people to ride trails that you've worked on unless you buy a pass. That would be like me charging you $500 a year for the fresh air you breath because it comes from the trees I've planted near your house. I've gone into areas and built trails and shown others where they are. I've chosen not to charge people for the right to ride trails that I've riden, maintained and marked. It's the whole attitude of "I built the trail, you can't go on it unless you pay" thing I find disturbing.

I think it would be better for the dual-sport riding community to have open sharing of trails and areas to go.

You can ride on any trail you want.
If you want to participate in a DUALSPORTBC event you HAVE TO BUY A TRAIL PASS .
Pretty simple to understand really.

skidmark43

Administrator / BFF in the blue jacket
Ironman, I hope you're interested in a sincere discussion / learning about BCORMA & the issues we face in the province. PM me for a phone number, or alternatively Tom & I can be found every Tuesday night at Baron's Pub or Sunday's at Tamihi Campground.

BTW, DualSportBC has no membership fees. Sign onto the forum and you're "in". Thanks to our sponsors....

DualSportBC, along with 20+ other offroad clubs in the province, agreed to support BCORMA in 2012 by making TrailPasses mandatory for riders of most organized events. A great way to support BCORMA's advocacy work & lobbying to keep access to trails & fsr's, as well as educate riders on the issues.

Now let's move the BCORMA TrailPass discussiuon away from this thread.

Mark

Farp

Ironman, I don't think you get it so let me try to explain. There has been a concerted effort over the past few years by a powerful lobby called TrailsBC to have motorized use of forest trails eliminated completely, or at least severely restricted. These are the people who want to tell you that you can't ride the trails. This lobby has a lot of money and is well connected politically and unless there is serious push back from the motorized community they will get their way. Opposing this lobby is the BC Off Road Motorcycle Association, BCORMA. BCORMA has a full time salaried employee, Peter Sprague, who lobbies extensively on behalf of the motorized community to prevent TrailsBC from achieving their agenda. Working with Peter are unpaid volunteers, such as Tom Timmerman, who put in a huge amount of time and effort to prevent TrailsBC from getting what they want. As you can imagine, it costs a lot of money to fund an organization like BCORMA and that's where the trail pass money goes.

Tom and other volunteers from DSBC built and maintain the trails in the Church/Tamahi area. They put in an enormous amount of time and effort to keep these trails rideable and they will never tell anyone that they can't ride the trails because they don't have a trail pass. What they are saying is that to attend DSBC events, such as the upcoming Nubee ride you should have a current trail pass. One thing is pretty sure, if nobody buys a trail pass and BCORMA goes bankrupt then TrailsBC will tell you that you can't ride the trails anymore and find the means to make it stick. When you consider the tremendous amount of time and work put in by Tom, Mark, Neil, Judy and the others who make DSBC the success that it is, the cost of a trail pass is a pittance in comparison. So buy the trail pass. If you enjoy riding an off-road motorcycle it's the best money you will ever spend because it's about the only thing that stands in the way of the eco-nazis who want to kick you out of the forests for good.

John

Sorry, Mark, while I was making this post you asked to move the discussion. I didn't see your request until I posted.

Last edited:

joneswgareth

You need to come over to the UK and see why you need to support the trail pass system!

Years ago we had a vast amount of trails to ride, then the landowners/ramblers association coupled with all their wealth and political connections stepped in and objected to all the 'off road vehicles' destroying the Great British countryside. This is in spite of the tens of 1000's of miles of footpaths and bridleways available to them. As a result 90% of the byways were closed to motorised traffic and now only a tiny amount remain. They too are now under threat from the same groups and within the next decade or so I would say the rest will go as well.

I'll be a Canadian citizen soon and when I arrive for good I'll be getting a pass for sure. Don't think of it as buying a pass to ride - see it as what it clearly is - a donation to a worthy group fighting to keep the trails open for everyone.

See you on them soon I hope!

kenf

These BCORMA passes that you want us to buy, do they come with a complete guide of all the trails you maintain?

Not sure about the current state of the BCORMA website (I haven't looked since last summer) but as of last summer actually they DID have some great maps of a bunch of areas that I don't know at all, and really wanted to ride, but didn't have time to chase down "local knowledge". Nickelmine, Vedder, Chipmunk, can't remember what else I downloaded off there, but I was very pleasantly surprised. And they were way more accurate than the hand-drawn back-of-napkin maps I'd been using previously. And don't all those pretty trail markers complete with difficulty ratings that have been popping up all over come from BCORMA as well? Well worth the price of admission, IMHO!

Ti welder

Let's Talk weather. Hope the weatherman is right for a change. Have you seen the weekend forecast? It looks like it's going to 'bee' SUNNY!
WAHOO, don't forget the shorts and sunscreen!

triplenickel

BCORMA is our voice to the government that will decide the fate of our riding areas, the other voice the government hears loudly is Trailsbc. Trailsbc got something like $13 million in government funding last year, their mandate which is clearly stated on their website is to get rid of motorized users, BCORMA's only source of funding is memberships. If you have any history of motorcycle or snowmachine riding you already know who wins motorized vs non-motorized battles, time for everyone to do their part.

cactusreid

so you are? going to buy a bcorma trail pass and come out riding with us all at the various events this year? we hope you decide that it's worth it.

Ironman929

so you are? going to buy a bcorma trail pass and come out riding with us all at the various events this year? we hope you decide that it's worth it.

Nope, gonna start my own group and go around destroying trails with my bobcat so you guys don't ride up and light my logging equipment on fire. hehehe

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
The Trail Pass Issues seem to have cleared, I suspect ironman929 is an old memory of times past.

Thanks to the others for your support

Tom