Williams Lake to Bella Coola - any interesting side trips?

DirtClunker

I have a 5-6 days between the loose screw and going to Edmonton, and I would like to make a side trip to Bella Coola. Any interesting side days trips to cool places?

I would love to get a nice view of Waddington - back when I climbed that was on my hit list, but I am too lazy now...

(a) I see there is a FSR that goes along the east side of Tatlayoko lake, and at the very end heads up a slope which might afford me a view.
(b) Perhaps somewhere along the middle lake FSR (Buff Lake Rd)
(c) I see a track that goes steeply up a hill just SW of Miner Lake.

Anyone try to catch glimpses of BC tallest mountain?

DirtClunker

he he

Sprinter van for the slab and camping (1000km range), 350 for the dirt and gravel (260km range). I do day trips out of the van. I have done *way* too much tenting in my life and dont want to do it anymore, unless I really have to.

Island Hopper

I have a 5-6 days between the loose screw and going to Edmonton, and I would like to make a side trip to Bella Coola. Any interesting side days trips to cool places?

I would love to get a nice view of Waddington -

Anyone try to catch glimpses of BC tallest mountain?

B.C.s second tallest mountain , Fairweather is officially the tallest at over 15,000', the summit sits on the BC/Alaska border...

Waddington is a pretty impressive summit, I see it from some of the peaks on the Island ... I took some up close pictures of it yrs back when we did a flight through the coast range in a military Buffalo, I'll see if I can dig them up..

DirtClunker

Waddington is the highest mountain that lies within BC. And I am sticking to it. Fairweather is half 'merican.

I am not so interested in pics (lots of those on the net and from friends), I would like to know of locations of where I can see if for myself with my bike from the #20 (it is adventure riding after all).

Last edited:

Island Hopper

Actually stats list it as the 3rd highest: Three highest mountains: Mt Fairweather (4,663 m); Mt Quincy Adams (4,133 m); Mt Waddington (4,019 m)...

I wonder if you can see from the interior side as the scope of mountains in front of it may block the view... I was pretty amazed at how rugged and vast the coast range is in that area...

Great book by the Mundays on the area, you probably read it already..

Farwell Canyon is cool, most people see that. Semi-deep in Tweedsmuir park is Hunlen falls, hell of a hike or be in a float plane like I was. But the most impressive waterfalls around by far. Piper lake has nice sand beaches, I'm camping there in mid-August and at Charlotte Lake. To Island Hopper-what is the book by then Mundays? Have a great trip, hope the Chilcotin provides and the fires don't smoke you out.

DirtClunker

hollywood - thanks for the ideas - I will take a look. I might see you mid-august, that is when I will be there - what are you riding?

The book is called "The Unknown Mountain" - its about Don and Phyllis Munday's discovery and exploration of Mt Waddington (AKA Mystery Mountain). You should hopefully be able to get a copy through inter-library loan.

Thanks, I love books about the Chilcotin although I'm not much of a mountain climber-except on a motorcycle. I have a 2000 TTR 250 that is street legal and a 2002 KTM EXC 300 for dirt biking. This is the summer to see if I use the TTR much, so far too hot and smoky, but lots of time left. My wife and I are camping there (no smoke and no fires hopefully) August 8 to 15 (hopefully) with canoe and dog.
Thanks again.