Your suggestions for the next ORCA RUN

Buck

What did you like? :)

What didn't you like? :X

What can we do to make it better for you?

L

Lonewolf

imported post

imported post

I was very happy with the way it all came together. The crowd was great, everyone was happy to be out on bikes and willing to do anything they could to help another rider out. The Crew did an awesome job organizing and running the event.

The one this I did hear while out and about was that some of the C route riders got a little bored after the first bit of the route, im not sure where the route went or how to improve upon it for those guys, maybe one of them can chime in.

All in all great event!

Patrick

Big Booger

imported post

imported post

Orca was my first DSBC ride, I found it to be well organized, scheduled events were held on time, and I'd like to thank all the Islanders who stepped up and pulled together to make everything work. I will be back.

The C route, which I enjoyed ,was great as I had never been to this particular area. The weather was perfect. Not too dusty or damp. Maybe God rides a KLR. I did not find it boring at all as there was allot to discover. The C route must accomidate such a vast variety of machines and skill levels, perhaps some B ish options along the C route will keep those with bigger bikes and higher skill levelsfrom being "bored".

All in all everyone I talked to had a safe and fun ride. This weekend I didn't have to mow the lawn, paint the house, take out the garbage or tend to my children. I got in over 300km. of riding....... that is as close to a perfect weekend as it gets. Thanks again to all those who busted thier butts to make it happen!

Greg

T

tik tak

imported post

imported post

It was truly a fantastic event! I really did not want to go home.

If I may suggest something. It would be great to have optional single track loops on the B route. We had a great time and a workout, but as time was running out we tried to skip the single tracks and make up some time on the FSRs. The trick was we did not exactly know if all the single tracks in a particular area ended up on the same FSR. It would be nice to have the word "optional" inserted in at single tracks that end on the same FSR as they started. This way they could be by-passed by those who are running out time or energy.

A campsite with showers and more open spaces would also be great.

And finally, how about a two day event?

Smedly

imported post

imported post

Our group did not find the "C" route boring, but I agree with the suggestion for some "B" options if possible just to spice up things for those looking for more "adventure". Also this was the first time we had used the roll charts and thought they worked very well...kudos to Jimbo....not sure how easily it could be incorporated, but I think a cumulative mileage on each page would be useful.

Thanks again for a great event!!:clap:

pittiepride

imported post

imported post

We had a blast and loved the atmosphere! We liked the campsite and appreciated all the food.
As for the C run, we felt that it was a bit long, our group got lost so we had to backtrack and by that time it was too late to get to Port Renfrew. Would have loved to see a few more challenging sections. We liked the part down the powerline. Maybe a C+ route? Talking to people the B route would have been too difficult for us but the C run was more for the bigger bikes. Maybe a C run with a double loop, one for the morning then head back to camp and another route for the afternoon...with optional harder quad type trails thrown in...

Again though, we'd be back. Had a great time.
kara and ken

F

franhoser

imported post

imported post

great time. don't change anything on the B and A sections. Some of the trails espcially in Section 1 of the B route was challenging but nothing one can't get over. Great time B section was well marked didn't even use the roll chart.

Dirtygirl

imported post

imported post

Hi There,

Thank you for such a great time! This was our first Dualsport event and absolutely loved it! The B loop was tough & dirty, the food and company was excellent and loved all the prizes! Especially the coffee :clap:

Thanx to everyone that helped us along the route and hope that DRZ 400 Steve is recovering from that last fall!

Also thanx to all the sponsors, without your help we might not have had an Orca Ride!

Can't wait until next years ride!

Jennifer & Darryl..aka Dirty Girl & Supertrucker :hb:

timberfalls

imported post

imported post

A big thanks to the organizers and sponsors for this terrific weekend. Great to meet so many riders, see different bikes and terrain. Already looking foward to another ride in this area

G

imported post

imported post

I had a lot of fun, I must have cause my bike's broken :)

I would have liked to see a few more "technical" options on the C route, something to get my experience level up and a more modest pace than jumping into the B course. Maybe a bit more mud and less potholes but otherwise the ride was great.

Thanks to everyone that made it possible.

cslater

imported post

imported post

This was my first group ride and I rode the C loop, well most of it. It was late by the time we got to Port Renfrew so I headed home to Victoria from there on the highway.

I had an electrical problem on the way in on Saturday so missed the briefing etc and just hooked up with some guys on the C loop at the gas station in Shawnigan Lake. Luckily for me they had roll charts as my GPS was not working!

My favourite part was the powerline section. I agree with some other posts that some more of this style of riding or the option to "tack" in on would be alot of fun. I was a bit hesitant about it as I have zero dirt bike experience but with some coaching from Bulldog I made it through fine and it was the highlight of the ride.

For the next ride I am going to have to get one of those roadbook holders.

Thanks for a great time,

Chris

volcon

imported post

imported post

First off, many kudos and huge thanks to the organizersfor the bang up job they did.

I road the C loop and had a blast.It had a technical section, some highway, fast gravel, some secondary highway then a section that alternated betweenpavement and gravel - I don't know which part I liked the most. To meit wasanear perfectlybalanced dualsport rideand proof that God rides a KLR.

Like others have commented, some more technical options would add to the ride.

I didn't find the ride boring at allbesides,boredomcan be removed by turning the throttle further (or so I've heard).

So, I'm gonna have to do it all again.:tup:

claw

imported post

imported post

Aloop was perfect perhaps 2 longer"A " loops closer to camp less chance of running into security guards ? Thanks to all who rode in the pissing rain to put this event on and all the hard work.How much peanut butter did we use ?oh and thanks to all those that did the cooking hats off to all of you. :hb:

claw

imported post

imported post

masso you have to get out of bed before 11;40am and go to the ride to put on two events.its out for you.

ToadRide

imported post

imported post

You guys did a great job. In the future I hope to be able to contribute more myself but was waylaid with some personal problems this spring. As for a critique: That campsite really works for us. C route works for me but is long. I might suggest we steer it around to Lake Cow (town) instead of the Youbou way to shorten it up. Not much to see up around the lake anyhoo. And call the mayor in Renfrew and ask if they want some lunch business. Lol. Great job, folks.

Toad

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

For our little group on the A loop it was perfect, long and hard. We have broken enough parts to keep the dealers happy without breaking our own bank. You dont have to change a thing for me.

Put me down as rider 51:p for next year, as long as this event continues you can count on me.

Tom

Phoenix

imported post

imported post

Did the C route and had every intention of enjoying my first time riding on the Island. Thought I would enjoy and breathe in the views and vistas new to me. My fault, ran with the group and don't remember much of anything except lots of really fast gravel. Still had a most awsome time, but should have forced myself to stop and smell the flowers occasionally. Of the parts that stand out in my memory are the powerline section (cause you couldn't do it at 100Kmh plus:p) and the various portions before Port Renfrew that were still shady and twisty hardpack with some slime mixed in for good measure. Think the organisers met every requirement for a C ride route, and they did recommend bringing a map if you wanted to bail at some point. Not knowing the area at all I would of enjoyed a shortening of the total Kms with a just as time consuming(ridewise) shortcut of more powereline/narrower trail type riding as an option if possible. Course I should just suck it up and try some B routes for a change:TTT:.

Took only three pics on the actual ride and all at the same spot, this is one of them(not including pics of gas stop;)).

Cheers, Alex.

joefdirtybiker

imported post

imported post

I had a great time and really appreciate the accuracy of the roll charts. Awesome orgnaizationthrough out and first class event. I think overall the C routewas an excellent.. My favorite was the Power Lines.

I think you have a winner with an early season low elevation event. Everyone using the winter to prep their bikes are pissing thier pants to ride byspring. Big bike owners have an early event they can join in on. My gut tells methis will continue to attract riders.

C route Suggestions?1) more technical back country dirt routes and less pavement. 2) Allow it to grow and design the eventto accept moreriders. 3) Don't pick mothers day weekend.

Thanks to everyone that put this on. First class event.