Roll Chart or GPS, what should I choose? Maybe Both

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Chart or GPS, what should I choose? Maybe Both

Common for new riders to the Loose Screw Dual Sport.

I have my own opinion and will post that here, but just because I like roll charts does not mean you cant use your GPS (if you know how to use it)

Roll Charts
    • Obviously I like roll charts, I like the navigational challenge they provide.
    • In fact most of the time you dont even know where you are or which way is NORTH. Now we are talking adventure riding
    • Roll charts are a simple cut and paste preparation
    • EZ to read simple instructions right in front of you
    • Detailed route instructions
    • You will need a 25 dollar roll chart holder
    • No batteries required
    • Access to a printer
    • Some computer skills to download the pdf file and print

GPX Track
    • today's technology today, yes I have all this stuff too
    • very accurate
    • you always know were you are, not much adventure there
    • needs batteries and sometimes a special charger. forget these and you back to an adventure ride again
    • NO route instructions
    • GPS holder on your bike, seem to start around 100 dollars and usually make specific
    • A GPS that you can upload maps and gpx tracks $$$$$
    • Some computer skills to download and load the gpx file into your GPS
    • also knowledge on how your GPS operates, its tough to find some to help you the day of an event

When the Route and gpx files are made available I would recommend downloading both files
    • Print and assemble the roll chart
    • Upload the gpx track into your gps
    • Use the roll chart for navigation and use your GPS if you are confused and need to check if you still on course
    • Study both, make notes on your roll charts and be sure to ask you questions as early as possible

Here is a picture of my setup. It easily transfers to one of the other bikes with Ram Mounts
    The only times I have really gotten lost is when I follow the GPS exclusively.
    The self explanatory Roll Chart is on the left side of the handlebar

I have added a smartphone version of the Roll Chart iPhone and Android App available

Electronic Roll Chart App *****This will not be an option at the Loose Screw******
    • Uses a technology most of us already have
    • The 25.00 cdn paid version of the app is identical to the printed version of the roll chart (see picture below)
    • All the adventure of a roll chart
    • Built in adjustable GPS ODO (very accurate compared to most ODO's and adjustable or reset-able)
    • Needs batteries or some form of charging while riding
    • Has auto-scroll

Tom Timmerman
    Past President DSBC

Ironically a roll chart topic came up on Thumper Talk a few days before you posted the first route showing roll chart examples and I ended up learning quite a bit even though I follow Dakar and had a basic understanding but your previous 2 post really made it clear as well as this one

I've been using my GPS setup for a few years and IMO have it dialed in for riding new areas I've never been to before so I'll be sticking with that.

Without getting into specific details of my setup, I'm using a dedicated Android, Oruxmaps for the app and the Garmin V4 Topo for BC. If anyone has any questions etc, shoot me a PM or I can start a separate topic but it would be Android and Oruxmaps/Avenza app specific.

Otherwise, once you post the GPX routes, I'll be converting at least the one I'm planing on riding to a KMZ file so I can preview on my laptop in Google Earth so is it OK to post it in DSBC for other members?
    And I know how much work goes into making good GPX routes and I now have a whole new respect on the amount of work that must go into making a master roll chart of a route so thanks for everyone's pre event work!!!!!

Comment

Not sure where the riders routes will be posted just yet but directions on where to get them will be posted here and the LSDS2019 FB page
      Tom Timmerman
      Past President DSBC

Comment

I updated the photo and added the Electronic Roll Chart App

Electronic Roll Chart App *****This will not be an option at the Loose Screw******

Tom Timmerman
        Past President DSBC

Comment

[QUOTE=tomcycle;n353187]I updated the photo and added the Electronic Roll Chart App

Do you have a link to the Android version of the Electronic Roll Chart App cus I can't find it?

Comment

[QUOTE=filterx;n353188]
            Originally posted by tomcycle View Post

Do you have a link to the Android version of the Electronic Roll Chart App cus I can't find it?

Yes I do https://www.rallynavigator.com/

Scroll down to the Reader App and click on it

There is a free version
            Less Detailed fewer features
            but still usable

Click image for larger version  Name:	FREE USE VIEW.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	353194

Paid Version
            Has all the features

Click image for larger version  Name:	Upgraded User.png Views:	0 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	353195
            Tom Timmerman
            Past President DSBC

Comment

[QUOTE=filterx;n353188]
              Originally posted by tomcycle View Post

Yes I do https://www.rallynavigator.com/

There is a free version
              Less Detailed fewer features
              but still usable

Paid Version
              Has all the features

Tom Timmerman
              Past President DSBC

Comment

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the Rally Navigator app. Very slick. Is that roadbook shareable for the meet? I'm not sure I'd rely on it but as an interesting experiment to try along with the GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by superfunkomatic View Post
                  Thanks for the info. I downloaded the Rally Navigator app. Very slick. Is that roadbook shareable for the meet? I'm not sure I'd rely on it but as an interesting experiment to try along with the GPS.
                  Note The Loose Screw DS is NOT using the Rally Navigator app
                  Tom Timmerman
                  Past President DSBC

Comment

Working...
                  X