04 DRZ400 carb issues

Donger

Member
Ok. Round two. She starts, runs like a champ for about 20mins, then floods and quits. Three times it filled the cylinder with fuel (pro at fixing that now!) then fires right back up. Petcock appears to be fine, what next? Looking for the best DRZ mechanic/shop, and advice on where they should start looking. Thanks in advance...:confused:

Don P
 

Mad Max

New member
Sounds like a needle valve/float issue...I'd look at the needle seat maybe a little piece of chit in there messin with you when the fuel flows for a while??? If you were to stick a 39mm Keihin Flatslide on that DRZ you'd never look back. :ted:Remember this advice is worth every penny you paid for it!:ted:

Good Luck Don
 

Island Hopper

New member
In addition to what is already mentioned: In a lot of cases it can be a worn float needle that causes a flooding issue... To check for wear you can examine the tip of the needle where it rests on the seat for a wear ring around the stopper... A lot of times the parts listing is for the needle/seat combo {$50} and the needle is not available as a separate item unless you can find a specialty supplier such as motolab...

An old trick that may rescue the existing worn combo is to take a small ball bearing and use it to peen the sealing area of the seat... What this does is it slightly flares the diameter and allows a different part of the float needle tip to rest on the seat...
 

vortexman

New member
This is a very common problem. As a flat rate technician where money is time, first thing I do is replace the float,needle,seat and if applicable seat o ring or washer. M/C floats get heavy over time and this cannot be checked or verified in a simple manner.

Next verify proper float level and confirm all vent hoses and tank breathers are free from kinks and obstructions ( most times I have to replace all hoses due to age and wear max cost $10.00) , If there is a vacuum operated petcock older than 5 years I will rebuild or replace it as they will deteriorate after some time.

Of course if the bike is less than 1 year old there may be casting flaws in the carb body but I have only seen this one or two times in 30 years of working in the trade. In closing most problems are due to age or someone with limited experience taking floats out and re installing them bending clips and mis aligning the tabs which engage the float. Once again minor problems easily rectified.


JT
 

GLrider

New member
I just had this problem with my carb on my 01 DRZ E. It was the float o-ring. I also bought a new float and seat as they were showing signs of wear as well. Reset your float height (9mm on my E) and now it runs like a champ.
 

Donger

Member
Thanks guys! Great advice! Now can I get it done in time for the noobie ride on Sunday? I'll keep you posted.

Don P
 

Shuswap

Member
Don, the o-ring is the issue in the vast majority of cases...float needle is fairly rare.
O-ring is 8mm by 1.5mm, just needs to be compatible with Ethanol (Viton??)
If you need more info, let me know
 
Last edited:
Top