'08 XR650L Modding

R

richd1963

Guest
:hb:Hello friends,

I was just reading the posts on the '07 650L Modding topic and I am pretty sure the bikes are close to the same, if not the same. Maybe only difference for me is I am in CA. I hope I am welcome here and would like to participate with you all if I can be of help to anyone. Or maybe I can learn a thing or two from some or you!

I have made probably a dozen MODS to the bike allready and I just love it. I also have an '05 CRF450X and WOW, love that one too. Last but not least I own an '02 Kawasaki ZRX1200R.

I have been riding off and on for over 30 years. I can thank my father for that. God rest his soul. I love motorcycles. I have gotten the rest of my family into riding, well all except my first Son. He is currently over in Iraq serving in the U.S. Army(Cavalry Scout). He never wanted much to do with motorcycling.

We have 8 bikes total in the garage. I do all the maint. Well at least 80%. My XR650L has 2500 miles on it allready and I am so due for a new rear tire. I can relate to all the jetting issues. I had my problems with it.

I am running an FMF full flowing header pipe with a Aluminum Race Series Supertrapp (12discs installed). I removed all the smog crap and installed a Uni airfilter. I had purchased a Dynojet 1st stage jet kit and installed as instructed. Lets just say, as time went on. Ihad had to repack my supertrapp exhaust muffler, only after turning the fiberglass packing material into chunks of moltion glass.I ended up getting rid of the DJ165 jet and replaced it with a 170 from Jets R us. After realizing I was just a bit too lean still. She seems to be running as well as before, but definitly not as hot.

I will try to insert a picture, if not maybe there is a user garage I can upload some photos to.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/Richd1963/08%20XR650L%20Smog%20removal/Fullbikeview.jpg

I have since installed a Moose skidplate.

See ya around,

Richard Glass
 
B

bigthumper

Guest
imported post

imported post

Wow you must not have much for mud in those parts, I don't think i could ever get mine that clean again! I've got 6000 miles on mine & it has similar mods to yours, it works great & i love it. !!
 
R

richd1963

Guest
imported post

imported post

Yeah! Being mostly desert So. CAl. sucks for woods. When we go up to Kennedy Meadows we get into the type of densly wooded riding I prefer. The local areas I have ridden are usually dry and dusty. If you do get a chance to get out after a rain, it better had be hours no later to still find mud. We just went out the day before Thanksgiving and rode in the downpour for half a day at Gorman, CA. Aka:Hungry Valley OHV. Course by time we got home the bikes were 75% cleaned from the rains, and we just rinsed them off while it still poured.

Now back in the day when I used to ride out in Texas Canyon, aka Rower Flats OHV,during and after the rains, that red clay would just about ruin your bike for getting totally clean. Some of the stains of reddish/brown would never come out. Now of course there are a few different kind of people out there, when it comes time for taking care of the looks of thier machinery. Myself, I like it to look as good as possible. I know one guy who replaces anything that even gets a scratch on it after every ride. He is the one I get my second hand plastics from! LOL. Then there ars some who may wash thier bikes every once in awhile. ect. I figure If I paid my hard earned cash for it, I was going to keep it looking nice. Yes I do get teased alot from some of my friends. But I also get praised for having well maintained machines. Plus my well maintained machine doesnt break down like some of the guys I know that neglect thier equiptment. Another good thing about going over every part of the bike while washing it down, is taking time out to inspect the fastners, hardware and overall shape of the equiptment.

I say, to each his own, I will still lend ya a hand in time of need. ie repairs etc. I just thouroughly love motorcycles, including tinkering, adding and removing accessories, maintenance and repairs. Just having my hands on such a well engineered piece of equiptment. I guess it has to do with the fact that ever since I was just a youngster and watched my father working on his motorcycles and other family members cars, I fell in love with the power to make something work, and work even better. My father lived on his motorcycle, most of the time he didn't even have a car. I grew up on his bike and its no wonder I love them so. He was a great machinist. Myself as a youngster, I just tore everything apart I could get my hands on. Boy did I ruin alot of stuff. I finally learned to pick up other peoples broken stuff, that had been discarded and experiment with that. Which worked out great. After self teaching and learning bits and pieces from others, I learned to fix lots, and I could sell what I had repaired if I had no use for it anymore after repairing it. I guess I got my mechanical apptitude from my father, combined with my ADHD from my mother, I was dangerous as a child with a tool in hand LOL. But all is well, heck look where I am now. I would'nt change a thing, just wished my father and stepfather would have lived longer, so they could have seen the results of thier guidence and parenting. God rest thier souls.

Sorry for the rambling on this AM.

Rich
 

baxter650

New member
imported post

imported post

Welcome to DSBC, Reading your post i will tell you the 07 and 08 are almost exactly the same and so is my 00 for that matter. About the only differences are the decaling, seat colourand the OEM tire supplier. I am almost positive that they are the same as your CA model as well.

I am a little surprised you are running a 170 main as on my 00i am at 160 onthe main and i'm not lean. What are you running for a pilot jet?

I am running a 58 pilot and find i don't use much choke if any on start up.

Welcome again, Vince
 
R

richd1963

Guest
imported post

imported post

Thanks Vince,

Yeah I find it really strange I have to run such a larger jet myself. My pilot jet is a 55. I actually had a guy tell me to go bigger on the pilot and keep the main at 160-165? I kinda shook my head and didn't understand his thoughts. Maybe I should try that? I did notice that after changing my main to the bigger 170, I had to re-adjust my fuel screw and close it up some, I also lost the real fine adjustment with it. It isnt so sensitive as it was before when I was running the DJ165 which they say is equivalent to a kehin 180. I seemed to have more influence on the idle with the fuel screw with the smaller jet. If I remember correctly, My fuel screw is turned out to about 1 1/4, and I can close it to about 1/4 turn till the motor starts to die out. Upon opening it, I can open it up to about 3 turns till she starts to stumble. I have noticed cold starts with the choke require a slight tickle with the throttle, as with before (DJ165) I had only choke it and she started like a champ. I have a feeling that I still don't have things right!

What do you think about going back to a 160 main, and opening up the pilot to say a 58 or so?

Thanks,

Rich
 
R

richd1963

Guest
imported post

imported post

OK, I just did some reading. Here is what I think I will do. I will put in a 160 main, take the needle and raise it a 1/2 clip (invert washer as needed to get adjustment) and we will see what she does, Does anybody think a whole clip position would be wiser?

Rich
 

baxter650

New member
imported post

imported post

On my 00 withthe 160 Main and a58 Pilot needle up one and a little choke i can see and smell that i am rich at idle, i am sure i could safely go down one or maybetwo on the pilot. When cold, right after start i can just about shut the choke off, on my stock 08 i have to ride it with the choke about 1/2 for a few miles or more.

The 08 will be getting a headpipe, slipon, desmog, and rejet in the future, but i have to many other projects on the go.
 
R

richd1963

Guest
imported post

imported post

Yeah, My 08 is like that too, full or half choke just to start, then 1/2 choke while putting on helmet. Then choke off, less then a minute total. I think I need to go up on the pilot also, but I don't want to change too many things at once, but when pulling the carb out, it makes sense to get all I can done. I think I will change the jets out as I said I would do , and leave the needle in the current posisition. This way I will just rotate carb.Check things out and see where to go from there. Now we have to just find the time. Rich
 
S

scarty111

Guest
imported post

imported post

richd1963 wrote: Heres mine with a 55 pilot jet and a 160mainjet and 9 discs
bike007.jpg
bike008.jpg
 
B

bigthumper

Guest
imported post

imported post

I have a list of MODS that i am going to do, I will post up my pics when I get them done!! Just waiting for the economy to stabilize. LOL :shock:
 

mudPie

New member
imported post

imported post

looks great

What type, and where, do you get the wind-screan, and saddle-bag frames??

Thank for the info.
 
imported post

imported post

:)I Am so happy to here so many people love the xr65l.I Bought mine last october,It is a 08 model.

I have beel riding scince i was old enough to walk,and i have 08 crf 250x i love th ride to.My wife tells me that if she ever gets a call from the hospital and she walks in and there is a smile in my face.She knows i was happy,Cause i was ridding.

God Bless everyone who rids on 2 wheels and keep us safe so we can all me and shake hands and talk about our war stories and Them beuitfull blikes that we love to ride
 
Top