Attention DR650 owners

P

Pirate

Guest
Before I renew the countershaft sprocket on Annie Sunday's DR (stock 16 tooth) has anyone got any comments concernig lower gearing? Has anyone experimented in this area? I've always thought that the gearing was just a touch too high for off road. The rear sprocket is alsostock at 42 teeth. I'm thinking that if the gearing was to be altered then the rear spocket is where the change should be made. I await your expertise...................Pirate.....On behalf of Annie Sunday.
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

I would have to agree with you, I have a 98 DR650 and have ridden it for may years, in fact this is may Baja Bike. I though it would be nice to lower the gearing and make to make it a little better when the going gets tough. It was a waste of money in my opinion, with a motorcycle momentum is required to do any trail or tough terain. To me it was not noticable off road the lower gearing (I went with 15-43) but on the highway I lost all my top end, 100kms hour tops.

Since then I have ridden with the stock gearing and carry a 17t with me when I go to Baja for the long highway stretches.


The moral of the storey is, you want to ride the trails buy the right bike.:ted:

Besides too many bikes is a good thing:tup:

Thats my two cents worth.

PS I might have those old sprokets still around, if you want to try them.

TT
 
P

Pirate

Guest
imported post

imported post

Thanks for the offer TT,but I've ordered a new stock front sprocket. The amount of off road that Annie Sunday does I figured it wasn't worth the hassle in the end.

PIRATE..........
 
Top