BC to Mexico on a Honda

R

ride_gnu

Guest
Cheers folks.

This is my first time posting on here after hearing about this site from Dave who im sure some of you know joined in on the 2009 Baja trip. Anyways I have been considering making my own trip by Dual Sport from BC to Mexico and wherever else the wheels take me afterwards. I am sure I will have many question to ask you folks as a I prepare and will give you a quick background on my riding experience.

I have been riding dirtbikes since I was 8? I dont remeber a long time ago. I have participated in a few motocross races and a few more trail races, and some long rides with friends. I have owned two stroke and four stokes and much prefer the two strokes. My current bike is a 2001 Gas Gas EC 250 which is by far my favorite. I am in the proccess of acquiring my full motorcycle license as we speak and am starting to beginning the massive planning process.

My first question is as follows. After considering many types of bikes I have come to the decision that a 4 stroke honda will be the best choice for my trip because

1) four stoke will give me better mileage over two stroke

2) Honda and Yamaha are much cheaper then Gas Gas, KTM, or BMW and more in my price range

3) I have heard Honda rules the Mexican Market over Yamaha

What do you think?

I am leaning towards the Honda XR or XL. From my understanding the XR R is a race bike not designed for the street, and the XR L is a legal bike designed for street riding in mind. However I have a lack of understanding about the Honda XL.

I am looking to spend somehwere between 3000-5000 dollars on this bike. I do not care what it looks like, and only if it is safe and will make the journey.

Thanks in advance, Adam.
 

deuce

New member
imported post

imported post

I would look for a used XR that has been already licensed with a Baja Designs lighting kit and bigger aftermarket fuel tank. There are always a couple for sale in the lower mainland and the Island. Most are in your price range too. Good luck with your search. I love bike shopping :hb:
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Lets have a few more details about the trip you want to make

Are you planing to ride off road from here?

How much time do you have?

On a budget XR650L has better street manners

Got the coin XR650R bring Baja on\

Suzuki DR650 can be modded to a great adventure bike that can go off road well within you budget (I have ridden Baja many times on a DR650:tup::tup:)

Tom
 
R

ride_gnu

Guest
imported post

imported post

tomcycle wrote:
Lets have a few more details about the trip you want to make

Are you planing to ride off road from here?

How much time do you have?

On a budget XR650L has better street manners

Got the coin XR650R bring Baja on

Suzuki DR650 can be modded to a great adventure bike that can go off road well within you budget (I have ridden Baja many times on a DR650:tup::tup:)

Tom
I am going to Mexico to meet up with a friend of mine who has taken his Land Cruiser Down there. Considering once I am in Mexico I will be travelling almost my entire timealongside a 4X4 4cyl. Deisel. This should give you a better idea of the terrain I plan to ride once I am down there.
I have not yet considered my route, but considering that I have never done a trip of this magnitude and will be buying a bike that I cannot 100% vouche forI feel my trip will be safer and smarter if I was to stay on populated roads untill I meet up with my friends. This simply because I will be travelling alone (unless something changes) until I reach mexico.
Also I have considered placing my bike in the back of a semi and travelling as far south as the bottom of LA. My old man works for a trucking company and feels this would be a safer route to take until I am 100% comfortable with the bike. And once in Mexico I can always choose to ride back home.
Please feel free to correct me, but considering these circumstance I feel an XR L would be a smarter choice considering my preference to commute on more populted roads and also I have never ridden anything like the Baja (I am mostly a trial rider)
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

I heard the KTM 525 is a great bike to do BAJA with.

One of the reasons is that many others use the bike so parts andknowledge are easier to come by.
 
R

ride_gnu

Guest
imported post

imported post

I have considered a KTM and spent many hours looking and roooling over them (the KTM Adventure is my dream bike). However KTM's are simply out of my budget, not only to pruchase but to find parts for as well.

I spoke earlier this week with a friend who was a member of the Baja 2009 trip and told me he had difficulty finding parts for his KTM while in mexico.
 

tomcycle

Past President DSBC 2004 -2018
Staff member
imported post

imported post

Now we have ennough information

XR650L Good choice, I would ride it down so if you have any problems you will have them in the USA where it is EZ to get fixed

DR650 another good choice. I have riden these bikes. big oil capacity, simple air/oil cooled engine, OK suspension ez to make into a highway cruiser

Pick your tires carfully for Baja, because you should be riding the pavement down to break yourself and bike in I would by a new set of tires for Baja in San Deigo, Maxis Desert ITs would be a good choice or any multi ply hard carcas tire.

You will be traveling about 3 to 4 times faster than you 4 wheeled buddy off road so be prepared to wait a lot.

While off road ride with no less than 25lbs tire pressure to prevent "snake bite"

start your trip with new chain and sprokets, they will be finished by the time you get back, do not count on availability in Baja

Most important You Will Have Fun

Tom
 
Top