Problem:
I got a 2000 XR650L that already had all the mods done to it. Big bore kit, header, muffler, clutch etc. I never liked the way the clutch felt. It was very grabby and I couldn't slip it very easily to modulate the power when riding slow technical trails. My 2007 XR650L with stock clutch never had this issue. I'm guessing the upgraded/modded clutch doesn't have a judder spring and that's what causes the grabby feel. I looked into hydraulic clutches and adjustable clutch levers, but both are expensive.
Resolution:
I found this posting where someone made an extension to the clutch actuator arm.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/923291-clutch-actuator-arm-extension/
I did this mod myself using angle iron from Home Depot. Now the clutch feels more like the original, but has the benefits of no judder spring. This would also be a good mod if you find your clutch too hard for 2 fingers. If you don't like the mod you can just take it off.
I got a 2000 XR650L that already had all the mods done to it. Big bore kit, header, muffler, clutch etc. I never liked the way the clutch felt. It was very grabby and I couldn't slip it very easily to modulate the power when riding slow technical trails. My 2007 XR650L with stock clutch never had this issue. I'm guessing the upgraded/modded clutch doesn't have a judder spring and that's what causes the grabby feel. I looked into hydraulic clutches and adjustable clutch levers, but both are expensive.
Resolution:
I found this posting where someone made an extension to the clutch actuator arm.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/923291-clutch-actuator-arm-extension/
I did this mod myself using angle iron from Home Depot. Now the clutch feels more like the original, but has the benefits of no judder spring. This would also be a good mod if you find your clutch too hard for 2 fingers. If you don't like the mod you can just take it off.
Attachments
-
Clutch actuator extension 002.jpg38.8 KB · Views: 4 -
Clutch actuator extension 007.jpg56 KB · Views: 4 -
Clutch actuator extension 006.jpg61.1 KB · Views: 4 -
Clutch actuator extension 003.jpg56.8 KB · Views: 2 -
001 Clutch actuator.jpg57.4 KB · Views: 3 -
Clutch actuator extension 001.jpg38 KB · Views: 5