Coasting in neutral

Might be a dumb question but nothing new in my life :). I was almost out of gas and on reserve so I coasted about 3 km with the engine off and in neutral so ensure that I would make the next gas station.

I later recalled someone talking about this damaging certain types of bikes due to oil depletion? I have an XR650L. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

Wet Sump: Transmission is the oil resevoir.

Coasting in neutral will cause the out put shaft of the trans to rotate. Since this shaft is in an oil sump I don't think it will cause any damage because it will be 'in' the oil and remain lubricated.



Dry Sump: Frame or other resevoir holds the oil not the transmission.

With this set up I think it is possable to damage the transmission if you coast for an extended duration. There will be some oil in the trans but I don't know how much. I would check with the dealer on this type.
 

windaddiction

New member
imported post

imported post

Why not just coast in nutral with the engine running, it wont use much gas and you'll get all the lubrication? any one see a problem with this?
 
Top