Hey, new XR650L owner here.
My 2008 had the snorkel removed and a FMF pipe and muffler as well as a Twin Air filter. It ran like crap.
I was worried that it was too lean (it was backfiring on upshifts and had no power) so I pulled the plug and the bike was not lean.
I had been assured that the first owner had had the carb re-jetted by a shop but I could tell that Dave's Mods had not been done.
I pulled the carb and there was a 55 slow and 160 main jet--so far, so good (I am at sea level).
I switched up to a 58 slow and did the rest of the mods. I also did the IMS de-smog kit mod. Put it back together and Voila! new bike.
Twice the power and no backfire or other mis-behaviour! Easy power wheelies in 2nd!
Anyway, I thought I'd post this up in case there were folks wondering whether it is OK to just re-jet without the other mods.
My 2008 had the snorkel removed and a FMF pipe and muffler as well as a Twin Air filter. It ran like crap.
I was worried that it was too lean (it was backfiring on upshifts and had no power) so I pulled the plug and the bike was not lean.
I had been assured that the first owner had had the carb re-jetted by a shop but I could tell that Dave's Mods had not been done.
I pulled the carb and there was a 55 slow and 160 main jet--so far, so good (I am at sea level).
I switched up to a 58 slow and did the rest of the mods. I also did the IMS de-smog kit mod. Put it back together and Voila! new bike.
Twice the power and no backfire or other mis-behaviour! Easy power wheelies in 2nd!
Anyway, I thought I'd post this up in case there were folks wondering whether it is OK to just re-jet without the other mods.