Dented Rim, Broken Fans

Redhed

New member
Rode the Woss Lake road this weekend, and cleanup reveals an obvious boo-boo on the front rim. The tire is still up, and I am wondering if rims are repairable, if I need a new one, and should I ride with like this?

Has anyone else experienced broken fan blades as a result of dirt build up in the lower shroud of the fan case? When should the fan be running?

Newbie questions: bear with me. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • IMGP1365 [800x600].JPG
    IMGP1365 [800x600].JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 0

ROOKIE54

Member
imported post

imported post

the rims on my drz 400s have had dent marks in them since i bought the bike and i have never noticed any vibration. i have been told by my bud gud that they are repairable with low heat and a bag with lead balls in it? he would know as ived trusted him on every bike ived owned. how was the woss road?could you get a p/u and camper thru? how long? we are going to ride it on mon morning to muchlut lake and then on to pub in gold and back to woss:hb:...stardog
 

Redhed

New member
imported post

imported post

The road was fine, with no snow. Okay for pickups. Lots of potholes, however. Watch out for campers, etc.
 

Bayner

New member
imported post

imported post

Lots of people have dented these rims. They must be a little soft. I have never bent one so can't comment on repair. What pressure were you running in the tire?

I haven't heard of the fan packing with muck yet though. I can see how that would be an issue. Mine comes on if the temp gauge rises above 4 bars - I think - wasn't really paying any specific notice to it, but I'll try to in the next couple of days.
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

In the past we have fixed bent rims with a 10lb dead-blow hammer.

What psi do u have the tires at?

On my 950 I keep the front at 35 to prevent dents...I have hit some prety good rocks and it's worked prety good so far.
 

mcmxcivrs

New member
imported post

imported post

Since they are tube type wheels there is no need to worry about leaks at the bead. Just knock the worst of the dent out with a dead blow hammer and let it be. Probable easiest to remove the wheel and lay it on a block of wood to do the hammering.
 

bumbee

New member
imported post

imported post

The F880GS rims are BEHR rims that are as soft as butter. They will bend very easily. This is well know issue with these rims as they were also previously used on tthe KTM 950 that had similar problems. I know because my rim is bent just like yours by going down a pot holed service road in squamish. The rim is suppose to be warrantied up to 7500kms, but they most likely will not cover it as they will say you abused the rim or hit a road hazard:mad3:. I was riding with my buddy on a 1200gs AND his rims were not bent so to me that indicates a defect in material. Instead of trying to pull my hair out trying to get BMW to replace the rim with a rim that will end up bending again I ended up ordering a new EXCEL 21X1.85 rim from WOODYWHEELWORKS in the states. He knows all about the 800GS/ktm950 rim problems and has come up with some good options to fix the problem for good.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/
 

Bayner

New member
imported post

imported post

I joined the bent rim club last weekend. It was a rocky road, but I had the air pressure up and wasn't really pushing it. They are pretty weak for sure!
 
Top