DRZ 400S Stock Settings

R

reddwarf

Guest
As I put in another post, I want to return my Drz 400S to it's original stock condition. The previous owner has monkeyed with the bike and I am not sure what he has done. It is obvious he had seen the airbox / exhaust / jetting mods on this website. Something is not right as my fuel consumption is out of control.

http://drz.info/DRZ400EK/

I am looking for a stock exhaust tip/baffle as mine has been cut to make the bike louder. If you know where i can get one or if anyone wants to trade for the modified tip to make your bike louder let me know. They are not avail from the dealer.

Can someone send mea pic of the stock airbox before the 3x3 cutout mods? I would like to return it to as original condition as possible.

I need to get my hands on a repair manual as I did not get one with the bike. I am looking for info on carb setup etc and stock settings.

If the mods mean getting 25Mpg then I do not want them, I should realistically get 60-70 Mpg when driving easy on the street. Right now 1 tank of gas is getting me around 100kms on the street.

Any info, helpor advice would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]
 
S

Starbucks

Guest
imported post

imported post

reddwarf wrote:
As I put in another post, I want to return my Drz 400S to it's original stock condition. The previous owner has monkeyed with the bike and I am not sure what he has done. It is obvious he had seen the airbox / exhaust / jetting mods on this website. Something is not right as my fuel consumption is out of control.
The best way to find out is to take out the carb, pull it apart and check the jetting, needle, spring and clip position. If you want you can put stock stuff back in, but there's no benifit and only drawbacks over properly jetting the bike.
I am looking for a stock exhaust tip/baffle as mine has been cut to make the bike louder. If you know where i can get one or if anyone wants to trade for the modified tip to make your bike louder let me know. They are not avail from the dealer.
The only way you can have one is to drill out one with a bimetal hole saw. They can't be replaced unless you buy the whole exhaust cap assembly.
Can someone send mea pic of the stock airbox before the 3x3 cutout mods? I would like to return it to as original condition as possible.
Post this on http://www.tumpertalk.com drz 400 forums and you may get a photo. Most people here don't have photos of a hole under their seat. Try to find pictures from a rejetting thread.
I need to get my hands on a repair manual as I did not get one with the bike. I am looking for info on carb setup etc and stock settings.
I don't know if the manual will help you at all. The best thing to do is learn from one of burned's rejetting threads and do it yourself, it is quite easy to do but just a little fiddly getting in and out.
If the mods mean getting 25Mpg then I do not want them, I should realistically get 60-70 Mpg when driving easy on the street. Right now 1 tank of gas is getting me around 100kms on the street.
This sounds like a standard DJ kit or some guy just tweaking it to run rich throughout the whole range.
Any info, helpor advice would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]
Trust me when I tell you this: Unless you ride your bike over 7000 ft regularly--you will get better all-around performance and fuel economy from burned's settings and mods than going to stock. I have never, ever in the 2+ years I have been riding and reading about this bike heard of anyone switching from a properly-tuned burned jetted 400 back to stock.
 
J

jha07

Guest
imported post

imported post

I can see why you would want the stock exhaust end cap to quiet things down. But I don't see any reason to close the 3x3 hole back to stock size. I have all the mods that you have now and I still get over 150km before reserve.
 
S

Starbucks

Guest
imported post

imported post

removing the end cap only increases noise about 2%. it's mostly just a flow restrictor. To really up the flow, drill right through the baffles. that makes it about 10% louder at peak volumes.

for me I find it is now loud enough wihtout being too loud. Before it was so quiet at times that I couldn't tell if the engine was running over the wind noise. Now it sounds like there is something going on there.
 
J

jha07

Guest
imported post

imported post

Don't know where you are getting these numbers, 2% louder, 10% louder. But when I drilled out my end cap, it sounded a lot louder than 2%. If I had to guess, I'd say 50%.
 
M

MyFirstThumper

Guest
imported post

imported post

reddwarf wrote:
If the mods mean getting 25Mpg then I do not want them, I should realistically get 60-70 Mpg when driving easy on the street. Right now 1 tank of gas is getting me around 100kms on the street.

Any info, helpor advice would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]


If you are only getting 25 mpg I would look for a problem else where. My '05 DRZ has gotten a best of 64 mpg STOCK showroom condition and very easy on throttle just to see what I could get out of it. After the 3x3 and jetting I average around 50mpg normal riding which for me means on the throttle pretty hard at times with speeds up to 80 mph.
 
Top