DRZ400E or S???

HeadinSouth

New member
Ok I admit it, I didnt search first.

Just wondering if it makes more sense to do all the mods to a ready for the street DRZ400S to make the engine as powerful as the DRZ400E (Cams, carb, head gasket, etc) or to make the DRZ400E street able (Signals, battery?, etc). I would have to buy tires for either bike so I am not taking that into account. Also is the DRZ400E street legal in BC or does it have to go through inspection? In the old days if you had a light you could put it on the road.

Thanks in advance.
 

yardsale

Member
imported post

imported post

Headinsouth,

I have owned both a DRZ400S and a KLX400R (DRZ440E) which I currently ride. I kept the S pretty close to stock but had planned to change a couple of things before it was stolen. I didn't feel it was underpowered but for off-road use it would have kept me happy with more aggressive tires and lower gearing which are both easy fixes. The only other thing I wanted to improve was throttle response from the CV carb. Many on thumpertalk have converted toE modelcarbs but this was too expensive and fiddly for my taste.

The E model is not street legal and I believe you would have to go through an inspection to get it insured. I didn't go this route so others may offer better advice there. I felt that buying new and letting the shop deal with the loopholes was an easier way to go (although a bit more expensive with two taxes) and then all I had to do was add the lights, etc. needed to make it street legal. I didn't buy a kit - I sourced all the parts myself and did it cheaper. If you decide to go this route I can let you know all the parts I bought and offer advice on wiring it all up.

In the end I needed to get less aggressive tires andlower the gearing on the E model to make the bike more streetable. The carb is excellent and for me the most important difference between the models.

One other note - the E has a lighter rear subframe that doesn't extend back nearly as far as the S one. I ended up converting to an S subframe to have the option of carrying a passenger and loads on the back of the bike with a rack. So it'sbecoming more of an S/E hybrid all the time....:tup:

Good luck, Dave
 

HeadinSouth

New member
imported post

imported post

Thanks for the info. I think what you're saying that its better to start with the S model. Your bike must be something. With that bigbore kit it must have some nice power.
I agree with you about the expense of the E to S engine changes. As I understand its the following:

New Carb (Keihin FCR39mm)
Cylinder gasket (increase compression)
Cams

Total cost looks like a couple grand.

You bought an E model (of course the Kawi version) and then made it street legal? Was it difficult to insure?

Nice screenname!!
 

yardsale

Member
imported post

imported post

Actually, the whole drivetrain on my bike is bone stock. Although I've got carb jets for the Keihin FCR39 which apparently really bring the bike to life, I've never installed them. I find the power adequate for the street and more than I'll ever need offroad. Iprefer a quiet pipe for my bikeand the stock one fits the bill.

I think you're right - if I had to do it all over again I'd start with an S model and trim off any excess. Now that there's established settings out in internetland for making the engine mods I'd consider them but probably only end up doing the carb swap. I just love the instant throttle response.

Here's the way it worked for getting my bike street legal:

- bought new from dealership that's willing to Photoshop out the "Offroad only" portion of the vehicle papers with the understanding that I would make the bike as close to street legal as possible

- I install a headlight (incl highbeam) , turn signals, brake light, horn, speedo and all associated switch gear, etc. The S model tank is steel (the E is plastic) but almost everyone puts a larger plastic aftermarket tank on the S model anyways. I put a 4 Gal. Acerbis tank on.

- at this point, get insurance as usual from ICBC. Because the vehicle paper is now missing the magic "offroad only" words, there's no hitches. Not a question is asked.

- start riding it likeI stole it!

I had no regrets doing it this way until I found that I had the smaller subframe. Now that I've swapped that, I'm very happy with the setup. The one other S item that I'd like to find is the electronic speedo. I've tried a bicycle computer but the battery keeps losing connection from vibration and I've also tried a Trailtech Endurance computer that is great except too flimsy. I cracked the case open on it trying to swap batteries. The S speedo is bulkier than these options but bulletproof.

Now to install those jets for a few more ponies.... :wi:

Edit: must remember to proofread....
 

HeadinSouth

New member
imported post

imported post

speaking of proofreading...I ment the cost of changing the 'S' engine to the 'E' engine specs is a couple of grand.

Thanks again for the info.
It seems to be about $410 us for the Baja kit, then a speedo on top of that. Might be the cheaper way to go doing it your way.
 
Top