Front brake woes...

R

RanKLR

Guest
Hey guys. Just replaced the completely worn out front brake pads (for the 4th time in 16K miles). It's not an issue of pad wear, cause I use em hard. Problem is when I installed the new pads, my brake lever got goofy and would, given enough pressure, come all the way to the grip.

I'monly speculating at this point that when I pushed the pistonback in the caliper with a C-clamp, that I may have dislogded a seal. I bled em to death, so I'm very confident there's no air in the system. The cylinder is working to an extent. Enough to squirt you in the eye if you get too close. (That's not gonna happen again.)

No leaks at the caliper.

Any suggestions as to the problem? They were fine before I "fixed" em....Randy
 

Norm

New member
imported post

imported post

It is likely that you have a pad(s) which are not directly engaged, metal to metal) with the caliper or caliper piston. It doesn't take much "give" in the pads or cliper to prevent the caliper from applying enough force for effective braking.

I recommend that you remove the pads and have a really good look to make sure that there is no debris or dirt between the pad backing and the caliper or caliper piston.

Check to make sure that there is nothing between the caliper and caliper mounting bracket because any misalignment there will reduce application because the pads will be applied at an angle to the rotor and the misalignment will be accomodated by flexing.

Next, retry the old pads to see if the problem might be a new pad(s) which has soft lining material. This isn't common but has been seen a few times. If the brake master cylinder stroke and apply effort seem normal with the old pads, you've solved the problem.

Have you opened the bleeders or opened any hydraulic connection on the front brake?

How old is the bike? Have you owned it from new? Has the brake fluid been changed every year?

Norm
 
R

RanKLR

Guest
imported post

imported post

Thanks Norm. Good advice. Makes sense. I did kinda rush the installation,because I'd been down for a week waiting for the pads and was really wanting go for a ride. Plus it was getting dark.

I'll go out and check the alignment.

Used a vacuum pump to bleed em. I run around and bleed all the brakes on my bikes a couple or three times a year.

I put a braided line on 3 years ago. It's a '01 I got 3 years ago with 1900 miles on the clock.

Will let you know how it goes.........Randy
 
K

klr jason

Guest
imported post

imported post

4 sets in 16K? That's insane.

I'd personally check the caliper itself. Make sure the pins are sliding freely in the mount, that the pads sliding surfaces on the mount are well cleaned and lubed, and that the piston itself is not hanging up. You should be able to push the piston back into the caliper with strong hand pressure. Using a C-clamp might be a sign of a seized caliper. If you had dislodged a seal (there's only one) you would have found out right away, the caliper would have leaked for sure. And if the piston was seized, that would explain the high pad wear.

When you lube the pins and sliders, use a silicone lube (sylglide I think it's called) do not use grease, petroluem will destroy the rubber. The other option might be to try the same procedure I recommended for the rear caliper.

I used tobe a mechanic (ticketed brake and front end)at a brake shop, and I have never heard of any vehicle using that many sets of pads.
 

Island Hopper

New member
imported post

imported post

I have to agree with Jason, on your 4th set of pads in 16k {25,000 KM} seems a little out of the ordinary even with hard braking. I went nearly 20,000 KM on my first set of KLR pads and they still had a little life in them when I changed them. If you do have a sticky caliper you should have a noticable change in fuel economy {for the better} once you get things fixed.
 
R

RanKLR

Guest
imported post

imported post

Sorry for the confusion guys. I replaced the stock originals (front and back) at about 2500 miles when I put on a steel braided line. I replaced those (front and back) not long after, because I was after better performance and feel. There's the 4 sets, 2 front and 2 back. But only the last set of fronts was toast. Not sure of the total mileage on that set, but Iwas not impressed with the wear I got.I'm sure it's not a sticking caliper. My old Honda Silverwing gets sticky calipers all the time and it's easy to tell. Gonna try a set of Galfers this time (green I think).

Sadly, after all these aftermarket pads, I can't say they are any better than stock, but I can't really remember. The braided line on front is a nice addition for leverfeel though.

Again, sorry for the confusion. Soon as all the football games are over, I'll start wrenching again and let ya know...........Randy
 
Top