Honda XR650R

scotty905

Member
imported post

imported post

Congrats, you're going to love this bike:tup:

I'm am running stock gearing so far 14/48 and it's great for the trails and around town but not the best for highway running. I've ordered a 15 tooth front and will see how that goes. Might try a 46 rear as well.

The bike seems to like running at higher RPMs on the highway (very smooth) but it does like to suck back the petrol.

I got the mirror mount from the local bike dealer $5

The Dead Zone is gonna be a blast on this bike.
 
S

slantwagon

Guest
imported post

imported post

Funny you should mention gearing. I had issues with some single track yesterday.
The XRs great on gravel roads but if I go riding with Lee and friends again I've got to go lower. I was slipping the clutch like crazy. Operator skills figure into it for sure,
guess I have to decide whitch bike I want: backroads bike with trailability or a dirtbike with streetability.
 

scotty905

Member
imported post

imported post

What rear tire are you running on your bike and how's it holding up? This new power pig could get a little pricey keeping a rear tire on it
 

trialslord

New member
imported post

imported post

I'm not sure what guys do with the xr's...but on my DR650 I droped one tooth on the front.... It made a huge difference in the trails...stalled it half as much!

Just from riding your xr the other day up that one trail....I would say it definetly would benefit from droping a tooth......and if you want to do a road ride...bring a extra front sprocket (1 up) and it's good for the street!...it's a quick change to do!

Thanks again for the rip on the beast....what an amazing machine....I think it took me for a ride....not the other way around!:hr:
 
S

slantwagon

Guest
imported post

imported post

One down on the front sounds good, or maybe 2 up on the back. I've been thinking about it and I'm enjoying trails so much and there's so many to explore I'm not going to worry about being geared to low on the road.. I think I got into 4th once on that ride Sun. :)
It's the stock Dunlop still Scott but it's near done ,maybe 500 k. on it. Logging roads ate it!
I'll have to do for a little while longer, I had to buy Enduro gear this month.
Any tire suggestions? The Pig forums are all over the place on this. I'm doing mostly muddy/rocky trails lately.
 

scotty905

Member
imported post

imported post

When this tire is done I think I'll go with a Kenda 270 and see how that works with this bike. I liked it on my KLR and it lasted quite a while.
 
S

Slim Shadetree

Guest
imported post

imported post

i have an xr600



anyone else in vancouver area have one of those ?:tup:
 
S

slantwagon

Guest
imported post

imported post

I read somewhere that the XRR swingarm can get water in it then your chain adjuster bolts can seize. I drilled a 1/8 hole in the bottom and.....yep a dribble of water in there! Some guys say they had up to a cupful sloshing around.
 
P

pigscanfly

Guest
imported post

imported post

I just traded in my sportbike for a 2001 xr 650r its just getting the street stuff sorted out so I can insure it for the street. can't wait to get out there and rip it up. Just a question it has a new Big Gun exhast on it will that be to loud (sound like it) and can you get inserts for it to quite it down?

btw slim Live in van city

Thanks
 
N

NorthShoreRider

Guest
imported post

imported post

Hey, another new BRP owner here in Van (Well North Van). Gonna be registering for the street eventually, but in the mean time just gettin her uncorked and suspension dialed in for offroad. I am fairly big, 6'4 230lbs with gear, any feed back on how the stock suspension handles a bigger rider? Seems to me honda springs most of their bikes with like 180lb rider in mind....:tup:
 

mattymurn

Member
imported post

imported post


I just got my xrr on the road, sounds we are about the same weight, I put an Eibach 11.0 rate spring on the back, the stock is 9.2 I believe. I got the spring from essex distributing in Richmond(they had to order it, takes a couple of weeks), I think it was around $105.00, it takes about 15 minutes to install if you have the subframe off. I haven't had a chance to really test it out but the sag seems about right. The previous owner had upgraded the front springs, not sure with what, but you may want to consider front springs at the same time ??

Matthew







NorthShoreRider wrote:
Hey, another new BRP owner here in Van (Well North Van). Gonna be registering for the street eventually, but in the mean time just gettin her uncorked and suspension dialed in for offroad. I am fairly big, 6'4 230lbs with gear, any feed back on how the stock suspension handles a bigger rider? Seems to me honda springs most of their bikes with like 180lb rider in mind....:tup:
 
T

t-bone650

Guest
imported post

imported post

Hi fellow XR650r owners,

sorry to butt in on your post,but I may be able to help with your suspension upgrade.Ihave a set of 0.47 Eibach front springs I dont need.$60.00 still in the box.

Andy.

604 916 3046
 
G

Garrett

Guest
imported post

imported post

Hi Folks,



Garrett from Calgary here. Ok, ok, I'm not FROM BC but I travel there a lot and have lived in Richmond...Does that count?

Anyway I just sold my KLR and am looking for an XRR. A buddy of mine let me take his fora quick ride and...well you know.I'm looking for a good used bike, would likeit if it was already dual sported but not a requirement. Newr is better, maybe 03 and up.

Any help will be appreciated.

Garrett

[email protected]
 
N

NorthShoreRider

Guest
imported post

imported post

Hi Garret,

My 06 XR650R is up for sale, I was originally planning on dualsporting it, however I have decided to go with something different. It is in great shape with no more than 15hrs on it. Bought brand new in late April. Check out my add in the classifieds. I am offeringwho ever buys the bike cost on any accessories they need to set the bike up as dual sport machine (I work in parts at a local dealer).:hb:
 
Top