Just installed Z-start Rekluse clutch, need help

C

CRF450mad moto

Guest
I have multiple Q'ns...any help or experiance greatly appreciated

Feeler gauge measurement question, between 30 and 42 thou using two feeler gauges 180 deg stagger, they mention slight resistance LMAO.... oh the science behind that.... well 40 lifted the pressure plate slightly, and 30 had so little friction, guess it might be right? ( as per followed instructon), is there a better way?

Is a perch adjust well worth the $$$, does this mean my lever is a dust collector or does the perch over-ride the rekluse? I heard that you can just use your lever and it basicly over-rides.??

Clutch pack lower mentions 2 shims to where the orig 6 spring were before, then install the Rekluse lower assm. over top of these 6mm dia. X 0.010" shims, WHY have I got 50+ left over??

In the Rekluse manual, it mentions inspection on the OEM clutch basket for notching along the basket ears, mine were notched but to what extent, I'm not getting any hang-ups while riding prior, or was I getting odd clutching action? On my 87 gixxer I just filed these down as per my buddy who was a racing mechanic back in the day.

Cheers 4 any sane responses...
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

Feeler gauge measurement question, between 30 and 42 thou using two feeler gauges 180 deg stagger, they mention slight resistance LMAO.... oh the science behind that.... well 40 lifted the pressure plate slightly, and 30 had so little friction, guess it might be right? ( as per followed instructon), is there a better way?
If 40 lifted the pressure plate then your clearance is less than 40(good). If you felt slight resistance with 30 then it should be ok. Idealy .....30 would have no resistance, and 40 would have quite a bit resistance. With feeler gauges, aim for the middle of your tolerances. Try different shim packs to get a 'feel' for the clearance.

If this measurement needs to be adjusted regulary , go to a local tool dealer(Snap-on comes to mind) and buy your a go/no-go feeler set. See if they have a leaf that is 30 to 40 thow, then buy 2. These leafs are steped, and if the gauge goes in , then your clearance is between30 and 40 thow.....easy as that.

These gauge sets work awsome for doing valve trains.
Clutch pack lower mentions 2 shims to where the orig 6 spring were before, then install the Rekluse lower assm. over top of these 6mm dia. X 0.010" shims, WHY have I got 50+ left over??
Do u have 50 shims left over?

Maybe just a packaging error. Or it coukd be that the same kit is used for different models of bikes and your instructions only call for 2 shims on each spring.

Or maybe that is a start point for clutch feel. Maybe u add shims as discs wear to maintain spring pressure? Do u still use friction discs?

Do u have a scanner? Scan the instructions and PM them to me.:hf:



Sorry....I don't have any experiance with these clutches, but I'm willing to learn:ted:
 
C

CRF450mad moto

Guest
imported post

imported post

I went last night to chat with Dave from Gnarly Parts, I so wanted to get this done and he gave me all the straight forward answers.... he offered me a rekluse pertch, for a $100 but he said you could easly get around this.... ( most sales ppl would rather sell you on stuff) but not dave, I know where I'm gettign my parts from now on!



The Shims ARE for different models...... measurements are never an exact science, testing the clutch under load for slippage is.... and for dragging at idle... this I found out is the science... So here I am 10:30pm riding around in my shop, (made an obstical coarse) THIS clutch ROCKS.... full size dirt bike that performs like a trials bike... bumping up onto knee height skids after a 90 deg turn with on blip of the throttle with PERFECT clutch control everytime. Mcnutt here I come...

I'd advise all to install these, I can even talk on my cell and not worry about engaging the clutch while riding LMAO :tup:
 

Knuckle Dragger

New member
imported post

imported post

CHEATER;),

think we are mcnutting this sunday Geoff, coming out? Like to see that clutch in action,
fyi tire sale at western tomorrow. Yep, Dave is a great guy to deal with , straight up -no bs, cant beat that . Was hoping I'd hear about my springs today, looks like I have to be patient for a bit longer:(

:hb:
 
C

CRF450mad moto

Guest
imported post

imported post

Dave has gone to Green lake, sausage party :mi: LMAO. back on Monday so getting parts or your springs are ??? Like a girl admitting she passed wind.
 
Top