Kill tweety

04klr

Well-known member
Hey has anyone hacked and slashed the stock pipe for a KLR, the goal would the permanent end to tweety and to free up the breathing, I'm not looking to jam a long extension bar down it's gullet to kill the birdbut to actually cut and remove stuff, like 8lbs of useless metal, I need the stock pipe for long trips so I have no worries bout having to repack my Big Gun and it would be nice not to have to rejet when I swap the pipes, thx.
 

Norm

New member
imported post

imported post

Check the DSN_650 group on Yahoo. Several posters have shown detailed photos of different solutions to removing tweety. Two or three did major surgery including removing the outlet pipe and replacing it with other tubing.

HIH

Norm
 

04klr

Well-known member
imported post

imported post

thanks for the reply, any chance of those pics being sent to me, I found trying to "join" that yahoo group was an unsuccessful pain in the arse.
 

joker650

Active member
imported post

imported post

Hey bro....bring the pipe over here and we will do an "Adjustment" to it:hf:
 
H

harley dog

Guest
imported post

imported post

I have a mod that I preformed on my KLR as well as several others. I do not have photos but the instructions are very simple to follow. The muffler does not have to be taken off of the bike> (sounding better already, huh?):clap:

Tools and parts:

11/4 inch hole saw
Drill motor
2" piece of 11/2" exhaust pipe.
Tapered bar or simular object.

OK, Chuck up the hole saw and place it over the existing outlet port on your muffler and cut it out. The metal is thin and will pop right through.:shock:

Jam the tapered bar into the existing exhaust outlet and start wiggeling it around and around and around. DO NOT TWIST. This piece of exhaust pipe is approx. 7" long and is spot welded 2-3 times to a raised ring inside the muffler.:wi:

Once this perforated pipe breaks loose remove it and start your motor and blow packing all over the floor. This will give you a great feeling of accomplishment. Hee hee.:dr:

Now, take the 2" piece of exhaust pipe and cut one end at a SLIGHT angle. This will allow you to direct the exhaust downward as well as away from the bike.:D

Now cover the plastics with wet towels, etc and tack weld it in at least three spots, get a rattle can of BB-Q black paint and you are done and tweety left with it.:tup:

This has no effect on the spark arrester as it is further inside the muffler. What you have accomplished is a moderate mod to the muffler and relieved some pressure, deepened the sound a little and if you have performed other mods such as the air box, air/fuel adjustment you should be smilin' when ridin':ss:

harley dog:f:
 
D

dooveman

Guest
imported post

imported post

I heard from kawasaki that with the '08 muffler, the bird flew the coop. I also heard that if it tweets within your warranty, you get a new one.
Brian
 
Top